Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Don't forget Maps. I would hardly call that finished.

Siri, Maps, and iOS of late in general has gotten Forestall fired by Tim Cook. I mean, that's as much of an admission from Apple as you're going to get that iOS is in need of new direction, record-breaking sales or not.

Exactly my point earlier. If Apple won't do it, someone's got to lead the way.

Not sure I'd agree Siri had anything to do with it as there's nothing wrong with Siri!

Maps is the main reason I'm sure. I don't know how anyone could say Apple only releases finished products with a straight face after Maps :p

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
In your own words, which you're now running away from and trying to split hairs, the need to employ old technology to accomplish what the new technology is supposed to do means it's not ready to be fully adopted.

But if you want to parse your own words a new way now, I'm game:

What of the SuperDrive then? Apple's Airs and Retina laptops no longer feature optical drives. Apple wants you to download software, download movies, etc. Yet, they still offer the SuperDrive for those who want to use the "old technology" -- this isn't an adapter to make downloads work.

Please call Apple out on this. EDIT: Or recognize that wireless charging is pushing new technology forward, whether you're interested in it or not, just like I can recognize Apple for pushing the future of downloads instead of physical media, whether I'm interested in that method or not.

I'll leave it at that. Good luck sorting out your own intellectual honesty.

Here's the difference between the Air (and MBP and iMac) and the Wireless induction charger. You can buy and use those computers without ever needing an external drive or adapter (assuming your use case allows it). You cannot use the wireless charging mats (as currently offered) without being limited by where the pad is located. You are still tethered to it. It is the same as a CORD, except for how the cord terminates (a normal charging cord terminates in a plug of whatever construction that plugs into your phone or tablet, whereas the mat's cord terminates in the mat itself).

To me, and for me, it is not a compelling innovation - at all. No matter who makes or offers it (Apple, Samsung HTC, Nokia, Sony, LG, Motorola, etc, etc, etc).

----------

Dude, this is weird.

Basically you're arguing that it's not helpful to put your phone down on a mat. Right?

But that until you can walk around with it, presumably charging in your pants, you're going to prefer a cord.:rolleyes:

I don't care where the phone is while it's charging. We're talking about wireless charging, both as it is currently offered, and as I hoped to see it offered.

I don't believe I'm required to lower my expectations for it just because some have, am I?

----------

But you don't have to buy a wireless charging pad! If you're lucky you may get one bundled with the phone, or can pick one up at a later date for a low price. By your logic, Apple shouldn't be marketing AirPlay unless they plan to give away an Apple TV with every purchase.

You know what? I'll give you that one. Apple's marketing and communication about the extent of what the Apple TV can do is poor. They don't let you know that Airplay from a Mac can't happen without one, and it's to their detriment. I found out by trying that Hulu.com free streaming is available over Airplay via my Apple TV. That saved me $8 a month! If I had waited for Apple to tell me about that capability, I'd still be waiting.

Wireless charging is a great feature and you're still to put forward any substantive argument as to why it's not.

I believe that I made it clear from the start that this is my opinion. For me, wireless charging as it's currently offered and implemented, is not compelling, and unless I'm forced to use it, I won't.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
In regards to the OP may I ask a similar question? Which phone manufacturer is using wireless charging as a selling point? I haven't seen any.

Nokia's 920 has wireless charging built in to the device, and I have never once heard it advertised that way. They talk about the OS, the NFC, MS office built in, etc- but I haven't heard or seen any ads that use the charging mats as a selling point. I'm not saying there are none, but I see a lot of ads for the 920 and I haven't seen any talking about the charger.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Don't most of the mat chargers require that you place some sort of case or dongle on the phone?
This thread is about having that ability built-in and calling attention to it as a selling point or whatever. And, yes, there are devices with it built-in (my Nexus 4 has it).

That said you can add it to the Samsung S3 and Note 2 without a case or dongle: if fits under the existing back cover. I don't know if that is possible on other phones, but I am almost certain it is not possible on the iPhone 5.

Michael

----------

In regards to the OP may I ask a similar question? Which phone manufacturer is using wireless charging as a selling point? I haven't seen any.

Nokia's 920 has wireless charging built in to the device, and I have never once heard it advertised that way. They talk about the OS, the NFC, MS office built in, etc- but I haven't heard or seen any ads that use the charging mats as a selling point. I'm not saying there are none, but I see a lot of ads for the 920 and I haven't seen any talking about the charger.

Oh it need not be an ad. I am sure it is listed as a feature somewhere, just as it is for the Nexus 4. For some strange reason that bothers the OP. <shrug>

Michael

----------

Here's the difference between the Air (and MBP and iMac) and the Wireless induction charger. You can buy and use those computers without ever needing an external drive or adapter (assuming your use case allows it). You cannot use the wireless charging mats (as currently offered) without being limited by where the pad is located. You are still tethered to it. It is the same as a CORD, except for how the cord terminates (a normal charging cord terminates in a plug of whatever construction that plugs into your phone or tablet, whereas the mat's cord terminates in the mat itself).
I sure hope you are only being deliberately obtuse.

You just totally mixed up a comparison: you compared a mac (main device) to a wireless induction charger (an accessory). That is an absurd comparison. It should have been mac, which if one desires can buy a superdrive, to a phone (main device) with wireless charging capability, which if one desires can buy a charging mat/orb (an accessory).

Nice try.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I sure hope you are only being deliberately obtuse.

You just totally mixed up a comparison: you compared a mac (main device) to a wireless induction charger (an accessory). That is an absurd comparison. It should have been mac, which if one desires can buy a superdrive, to a phone (main device) with wireless charging capability, which if one desires can buy a charging mat/orb (an accessory).

Nice try.

Michael

I tried to point that out to him multiple times. He keeps going off on his own arguments. Irishman actually thinks he's enlightening us by telling us that one has to charge where the wireless charging mat is. He actually thinks because you also have to charge where your cable chord is, the new technology isn't worth bringing out so early.

Why make the MagSafe 2? You're still tethered to where the chord is in order to charge your device! :rolleyes: Why make the Lightning cable? You're still tethered to the where the chord is in order to charge your phone! The world isn't ready for MagSafe 2 or Lightning! ... Yet not a peep out of Irishman.

Anyway, let it go. Because either he's really that dense, or he's trolling. Either way, it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I tried to point that out to him multiple times. He keeps going off on his own arguments. Irishman actually thinks he's enlightening us by telling us that one has to charge where the wireless charging mat is. He actually thinks because you also have to charge where your cable chord is, the new technology isn't worth bringing out so early.

Why make the MagSafe 2? You're still tethered to where the chord is in order to charge your device! :rolleyes: Why make the Lightning cable? You're still tethered to the where the chord is in order to charge your phone! The world isn't ready for MagSafe 2 or Lightning! ... Yet not a peep out of Irishman.

Anyway, let it go. Because either he's really that dense, or he's trolling. Either way, it's a waste of time.

Look at my post history, son. I've been here FAR longer than you, and offered more substance.

I'M no troll. It's ok that you hate the iPhone/Apple. You should just be more honest about it. Own your feelings. They already inform your arguments.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why wouldn't any company list this as a feature? Be strange to suddenly find out all iPhones can be charged on a mat wouldn't it? Wouldn't happen, Apple would list it as a feature or any manufacture for that matter.

Apple list ultra fast wireless including wifi on there web page. As if I ever had a problem using my 30+ mbs wifi at home on my 4S.

a4udezu5.jpg

eny9eru3.jpg

They go on about its "all new design" (that can't be mistaken for anything other then an iPhone IMO).

Here's another one....the iSight camera! The 5 can shoot a panorama!!

bazy3uju.jpg

So can my 4S and I'll admit it works very well.

Point is if the phone can do it, it doesnt have to be new, exclusive, useful or borderline true a manufacture won't NOT mention it regardless of manufacture. Because maybe, just maybe someone will find that feature useful and will attract them to buy that device. Hence a selling point.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Yeah obviously Nokia mentions it as a feature on the website, but in the actual advertisements I haven't seen it mentioned once. Which I think is odd. It's not a deal-breaker feature for me at all, but for a lot of people if they heard "and also has wireless charging" in the commercials they might be intrigued. With how aggressively ATT and Nokia are marketing the 920 I think it's weird they aren't mentioning actual features of the phone. Every ad I see for the 920 talks more about WP8 than the hardware of the phone.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Look at my post history, son. I've been here FAR longer than you, and offered more substance.

I'M no troll. It's ok that you hate the iPhone/Apple. You should just be more honest about it. Own your feelings. They already inform your arguments.

Sorry but he's got you beat by over 2000 posts. As to substance, that is for someone else to decide but not me.

As for the wireless charging, why would you not want it included? If you don't like it don't use it. I don't see why this is so debated. I'd love a phone that included wireless charging.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks guys. Above all, he didn't reply to the examples I gave of apple doing exactly the same thing that he's speaking against. He just kept altering his argument. At some point, you realize there's just no point in continuing the discussion.

Classic case of if apple does it, they're pushing new tech. If competition does it, what's the point.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Oh, this made my day! :D

It speaks volumes if you honestly think that the quantity of posts has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with quality of posts.

I'll speak the facts again, since you seem to have missed them before.

1. I've been here far longer than he.
2. I've offered far more substance than he.

If I'm wrong, show me the documentation. It should be simple.

----------

Thanks guys. Above all, he didn't reply to the examples I gave of apple doing exactly the same thing that he's speaking against. He just kept altering his argument. At some point, you realize there's just no point in continuing the discussion.

Classic case of if apple does it, they're pushing new tech. If competition does it, what's the point.

You know, there are better ways to get attention. :)

----------

Sorry but he's got you beat by over 2000 posts. As to substance, that is for someone else to decide but not me.

As for the wireless charging, why would you not want it included? If you don't like it don't use it. I don't see why this is so debated. I'd love a phone that included wireless charging.

Then buy one. Problem solved.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I have been using a Lumia 920 for a few months now. It came with charging pads, I put one in the office and the other in the home office.

For the first month or so, I did not use them very much. Now, I use them every day, and bought a third charger (the "pillow" which I would not buy again) that stays by the bed. I have to admit, I use the chargers extensively while working now and I love them. It is very convenient to be able to instantly pick up the phone for calls and still be able to move around.

I never would have demanded this as a feature before using, but now that I have it, I am very glad I do and would be grumpy to lose it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have been using a Lumia 920 for a few months now. It came with charging pads, I put one in the office and the other in the home office.

For the first month or so, I did not use them very much. Now, I use them every day, and bought a third charger (the "pillow" which I would not buy again) that stays by the bed. I have to admit, I use the chargers extensively while working now and I love them. It is very convenient to be able to instantly pick up the phone for calls and still be able to move around.

I never would have demanded this as a feature before using, but now that I have it, I am very glad I do and would be grumpy to lose it.

Sounds great.

I hope the S4 offers an affordable charging station or if I keep my Nexus 4, that the charging orb gets some deals or comes down in price over time.

I can't wait for wireless charging to become more common place. It's going to be nice to just place your phone down and it'll be charging on its own.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Then either accept my challenge or drop it.

What challenge? What are you even talking about?

You're the one making grandiose claims about yourself. I've always found the replies made by onthecouchagain to be balanced and helpful.

A read through your post history shows you to be militantly anti Android so i'm not even sure what you're doing in this subforum other than posting misinformation and getting your threads removed:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1540294/

:D

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
What challenge? What are you even talking about?

You're the one making grandiose claims about yourself. I've always found the replies made by onthecouchagain to be balanced and helpful.

A read through your post history shows you to be militantly anti Android so i'm not even sure what you're doing in this subforum other than posting misinformation and getting your threads removed:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1540294/

:D

Then let's not bring it up again, and let's talk about the OP's topic.

Shall we?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
It speaks volumes if you honestly think that the quantity of posts has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with quality of posts.

I'll speak the facts again, since you seem to have missed them before.

1. I've been here far longer than he.
2. I've offered far more substance than he.

If I'm wrong, show me the documentation. It should be simple.

So forum account age determines something but amount of posts do not?

Also more substance is an opinion.

Who makes these forum guidelines that determine who is a more worthy poster? Or are you just trying to strengthen your opinion with choice forum statistics that are more favorable to you?

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

Agreed

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

I had the wireless charging with my HP Touchpad and loved it. I have been waiting patiently for Samsung to bring out the wireless charging for the S3, but I think that is a pipedream now, with the S4 launch happening within months.

So I spent $20 on Amazon and bought a brand new Palm Pixi back and a brand new Touchstone wireless charger and stripped out the Pixi and added the wireless charging to my battery cover. Works like a charm. Need to get another Touchstone for work.

I don't understand why HP and Nokia can do this so easily, yet Samsung is dragging its heels. All the hardware is in place on the Note2 and S3? Just don't get it. I mean, if I can mod my phone and make it work in 15 minutes, surely Samsung can.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
This is what I had in mind when I was posting about what I hoped Apple would do with regard to wireless charging - make it TRULY wireless to the device.

Check this out. There's a startup called WiTricity, made up of some very smart people from MIT, who did just that in 2007.

This macrumors link from 2011 came about because Apple said they were experimenting with "a new way of charging" their iPhone. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/11/apples-interest-in-witricity-wireless-charging/

Also, there is a link in the page to a TED Talk from 2009, where the CEO of Witricity demoed it on three phones, one of them being an iPhone.

THIS is innovation. This is the promise of wireless charging done right.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
It's a massive gimmick at the moment. I want it to reach the level where I can just place my phone on my desk anywhere and it'll start charging. Now that'd be awesome.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's a massive gimmick at the moment. I want it to reach the level where I can just place my phone on my desk anywhere and it'll start charging. Now that'd be awesome.

Or better yet the moment you walk into a particular room, it begins charging. And one day, just walking into your house. That'd be great. Think of it like how wifi works. Imagine walking into a Starbucks and your phone is automatically charging.

What's happening now are the first few steps toward that.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Or better yet the moment you walk into a particular room, it begins charging. And one day, just walking into your house. That'd be great. Think of it like how wifi works. Imagine walking into a Starbucks and your phone is automatically charging.

What's happening now are the first few steps toward that.

For current batteries, sure, cool, but that would be largely unnecessary for the future batteries that are supposedly going to last weeks on a single charge! (carbon nanotube)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.