Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raposanegra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hello,

I want to start editing HD videos but my PC isn't enough for it so I want to buy a macbook to start editing with no problems!

My problem is that I was told that the minimum screen size to edit video would be the 15" inches and that the 13" would be too small.

The problem is that the only Macbook pro with 15" available new at a store costs about 1800€ / 2400$ (In Portugal) , because it's an i7.

And it's really hard to find a used 15" inches with an i5.

Do you agree that 13" wouldn't be enough?

I must say I will be doing a nature documentary in a few months and I really want to start editing more videos.

Thank you in advance for your help! ;)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Depending on the application you want to edit with, the screen real estate might be a bit small with a 13" display and its 1280 x 800 pixel.
But if you will use an external display (the Dell U2412M for example), the 13" will be quite capable of editing HD video.

I currently edit 1080p video on my 2009 C2D MBP and it is quite fine, but I also use an editing codec instead of the compressed format the footage was acquired in.

If you do not mind transcoding the footage into an editing friendly format (iMovie will do it anyway, FCP X gives you the option to do so, Premiere Pro can do without, Avid Media Composer can do without), any current or past Mac will be able to edit HD video quite easily.

Look here to learn more about editing and acquisition codecs:
Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

And if you go the 13" MBP + external display route, also invest in an external Firewire 800 or USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt HDD to store the original footage and another HDD to backup that footage and use for the transcoded footage, as it is not advised to use the HDD the OS resides on to store the video footage you will edit.

Below video also gives a good overview over containers and codecs, and if you are serious about video editing, you should know such information.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looks like store.apple.com/pt doesn't carry refurb products unfortunately.

Maybe some Apple retailer would have older Mac available?

Are you a student?

raposanegra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hello simsaladimbamba, Thank you for your help!

Well I would prefer to use the macbook pro screen to edit so it seems I really need the 15" inches right?

That video about the codecs was very good!

So this means that the right codec for me while editing would be the ProRes (by Apple) since I'll be editing .mov files in the Final Cut Pro X.

And then to share the file I would export it using the H.264 codec and the container .mp4

Right?

But still I don't know which of the ProRes codecs would I use to edit. Maybe the ProRes 422 HQ ?

Thank you again for the help!

Looks like store.apple.com/pt doesn't carry refurb products unfortunately.

Maybe some Apple retailer would have older Mac available?

Are you a student?

Yes I'm a college student. Well I've searched for used macbooks on portuguese websites and there are a lot but most of them are 13" and core2duo. There are not many 15" and most are core2duo. =(

raposanegra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Why not a 13" MBP with an external monitor?

Because it's not practical. I'm going to make my Internship in the rainforest and I'm going to shoot a documentary there so it would be useful to be able to start editing some footage on place and I'm not going to bring a laptop plus a screen.

I want the laptop to be independent from other big devices.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Why not a 13" MBP with an external monitor?

If an external monitor was an option, why not a faster mini? My suggestion would be refurbished if costs are comparable. Even the 2011 15" would be faster, although ivy bridge dual cores made some decent gains. A lot of the gains really are at the lower power levels. You benefit far less from integrated graphics at the 15" mark, although it wouldn't surprise me if Apple eventually slides the 15" retina macbook pro into the $1800 mark displacing the cMBP by moving down to integrated graphics to maintain higher margins. It sounds laughable now, but they did use a really terrible gpu in the early 2011. It was almost a token offer. I think they went with one of NVidia's igpus on the base 15" in the past as well although I'd have to look it up.

The higher end 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 16GBs RAM, 512 SSD, coupled with Final Cut Pro X will be an amazing machine for editing video.

Here's the links.

MacBook Pro with Retina Display
http://store.apple.com/pt/configure/MC976PO/A?

Final Cut Pro
http://www.apple.com/pt/finalcutpro/

The OP already confirmed that was too expensive for him.

Yes I'm a college student. Well I've searched for used macbooks on portuguese websites and there are a lot but most of them are 13" and core2duo. There are not many 15" and most are core2duo. =(

I meant to quote this before. Does one of the Apple.com extensions ship to Portugal? If so you could look at their refurbished selections and educational discounts.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I would call Apple Store to see if they offer student discounts.

Check the Apple website in your area for refurbished 15" MacBooks.

I meant to quote this before. Does one of the Apple.com extensions ship to Portugal? If so you could look at their refurbished selections and educational discounts.

I already checked, refurb and close outs not available there.

However edu might be available.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The higher end 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 16GBs RAM, 512 SSD, coupled with Final Cut Pro X will be an amazing machine for editing video.

Here's the links.

MacBook Pro with Retina Display
http://store.apple.com/pt/configure/MC976PO/A?

Final Cut Pro
http://www.apple.com/pt/finalcutpro/

Did you not read the part about the cost concerns?

OP Keep in mind you do not need the latest MBP a late 2010 with i7 will edit video just fine and may not be too expensive. I would call Apple name see if you can order from the USA site and have it shipped to your country.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Did you not read the part about the cost concerns?

OP Keep in mind you do not need the latest MBP a late 2010 with i7 will edit video just fine and may not be too expensive. I would call Apple name see if you can order from the USA site and have it shipped to your country.

Oh sorry! I wasn't aware price was a concern, I guess I didn't read the first post fully (I was in a hurry)

OP, you can disregard my advice, sorry for posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.