Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I would prefer just to have one personal email other then two, and so would just like to have icloud set up on my devices. Is this possible? Thanks guys.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Don't forget when you reply to an email it will go out from your iCloud account and email address.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Don't forget when you reply to an email it will go out from your iCloud account and email address.

That is unless you tell it to send from the gmail address using the SMTP server.

This is what I do. I don't have gmail set up on the phone and all mail gets forwarded to my icloud, but any email I send out is sent from my gmail.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
That is something I didn't know iCloud could do, and it certainly would make it easier. Of course finding a way to sync your contacts/calendar with a windows desktop has its own challenges.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Whew

Yes thats fine, I am trying to migrate towards my primary .me email address.

Good on you for checking.

My father and I have constant arguments about what email accounts he needs to put on his phone, as I've forwarded his personal (comcast, .me) accounts to his GApps account.

For some reason, he won't accept that all of his email will show up in his GApps account, so he keeps adding the other ones, and then gets confused when he has multiple copies of the same email.

Turns out most of the stuff he wasn't receiving was spammy forwards from his elderly friends, which GApps marked as such.

Ugh...old people.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
That is unless you tell it to send from the gmail address using the SMTP server.

This is what I do. I don't have gmail set up on the phone and all mail gets forwarded to my icloud, but any email I send out is sent from my gmail.

Can you post the settings of your 'sent' IMAP, I would like to try the same thing.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
May sound like a dumb question but...
How do you forward all emails to icloud?

If gmail, I went to gmail then settings then port forward and added my me.com address and then after confirming it (you get an email sent to your email of choice and click the link to verify) I went back to google mail settings refreshed the page and ticked the email I entered and then clicked saved changes. Now it works fine.

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013

Can you post instructions on how to do this?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Great idea; just tried it myself and it worked flawlessly.

Go to your mail settings and click on your iCloud account, then click Account. Scroll down to Advanced then click on Mail. Scroll down again and click SMTP under outgoing mail server and turn off iCloud SMTP server then click Add Server... under Other SMTP Server.

Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
User Name: [your gmail address]
Password: [your gmail password]
Use SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 465

Easy peasy; even though you'll see your me.com account as the "from" address, it gets sent from your Gmail account. Beautiful.

EDIT: To clarify that you put your own password in. ;-)

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Great idea; just tried it myself and it worked flawlessly.

Go to your mail settings and click on your iCloud account, then click Account. Scroll down to Advanced then click on Mail. Scroll down again and click SMTP under outgoing mail server and turn off iCloud SMTP server then click Add Server... under Other SMTP Server.

Easy peasy; even though you'll see your me.com account as the "from" address, it gets sent from your Gmail account. Beautiful.

EDIT: To clarify that you put your own password in. ;-)

Yep, that's it exactly. Another great thing about this is you get almost zero junk mail in your iCloud account.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Yep, that's it exactly. Another great thing about this is you get almost zero junk mail in your iCloud account.

Can u have multiple gmail accounts as "sent" from? I have a couple of different gmail accounts for different things like one I use for coupons and other junk stuff that usually requires a email address, one for banking and school and then I have my iCloud.

Seubs070

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Has anyone got icloud to send from the their Gmail account. I tried the settings listed here and it still shows as sent from my icloud address?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Has anyone got icloud to send from the their Gmail account. I tried the settings listed here and it still shows as sent from my icloud address?

I have mine set up like that. Log into Gmail and send emails with my icloud email listed...is that what u mean?

Seubs070

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
I have mine set up like that. Log into Gmail and send emails with my icloud email listed...is that what u mean?

I get that part, but I can't seem to get the emails sent from icloud to show up as sent from my gmail account.

I have tried setting it up as listed here but it doesn't seem to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.