Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

Although you have to give teens these days some credit - Most of them know how to spell "waste".

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
What does money have to do with how long it takes to build and test infrastructure? I don't think you fully grasp the complexity behind the App Store. It isn't something that can just be thrown together in a year.

Money means they have an incredible amount of resources to pull it off. Also, isn't the iTunes Store the basis of the App Store infrastructure, which was very well established at that point? If I remember, it was probably less than 6 months after the iPhone came out that not only was jailbreaking available to tweak text bubble colors, etc. but the first apps from amateur developers made their way to the iPhone. I'm sure apple had tested apps before the iPhone was released, but it seemed pretty clear they wanted everything to run through safari and the jailbreak community pressured them to create the App Store.

Anyway, I first jail broke my phone as soon as you could, but after all that hard work was ruined through a software update I never bothered again until envasi0n. Of course I love it. I got intelliscreenx configured to work with biteSMS - how the hell have I been without quick reply for 6 years now I don't know. I wish intelliscreen would add a page for messages, like they have for mail, though. Swipeselection is another one that makes typing this on my iPhone extremely easy. I think auxo is a good addition but with notification center toggles its killer feature is how to exit apps from the app switcher. But now that I've got my phone to work optimally, I'm having fun with springtomize, custom clock, unfold, and barrel. If you can follow a YouTube video, you can jailbreak and I see no reason why not. I love my iPhone and am so invested in apple that its not easy for me to just up and move to android, but apple needs to wake the hell up because iOS is stale, and I've been trying to lie to myself about it, but its obvious, especially to the 'common' people. More and more often I hear people complaining about the iPhone - the people who don't understand jail breaking, who would absolutely love for these features to be built in.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

Coming from a guy who has this in his profile
Interests
Tinkering with Macs, ipod iphone app beta tester, soccer, photography

Maybe you should get out more and stop tinkering with technology?

Jailbreaking doesn't promote pirating. Add a "pirating" source, and Cydia will tell give you a warning.

Actually it's not very popular if you know how many devices running iOS6 are out there.

A few weeks ago, Apple reported nearly 300 million devices running iOS6 (and 500 million existing iOS devices).

People have been waiting for an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for months, so it's very likely they updated as soon as possible.

7 million jailbroken devices out of 300 million is only 2.5%.

That's not a signal that people want features you only get by jailbreaking, it's a signal that the majority (hell, almost everybody!) doesn't care for jailbreaks.

If you don't think 7 million is alot, then I don't know what you actually consider alot. Majority of the people that I know don't know what jailbreaking is, and now I have all of them asking me to jailbreak their iOS devices for them.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Ah, not really...

1. The Cydia store does not encourage nor promote pirating. Period.
2. I have been JBing my iphone for several years now. I do not know anyone who was stealing apps.
3. For those of us lucky enough to still have unlimited data plans, it allow us to use MyWi to use the phone as a hot spot for our wifi-only tablets. (BTW, this is free on an android phone).
4. JBing does allow one to customize the phone with cool utilities and themes many of which are free while others cost just a couple of bucks or so.
5. And it allows those with the proper skills to get into the guts of iOS and really tweak it if they so desire.

And all of this would go away if Apple did not have a closed ecosystem.

SirYossi, don't hate the players, hate the game. :cool:

Last edited:

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
just a data point - i delayed buying an iPhone 5 until this JB came out. on tuesday i was down at the apple store with my CC in hand.

why? lockinfo and scrobbl. can't live without those two utilities (although Carat told me that scrobbl was responsible for 30 minutes of battery consumption on my 4S.) lockinfo 5 is really great!

no pirated apps. just want to do fun stuff with the phone.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
What does money have to do with how long it takes to build and test infrastructure? I don't think you fully grasp the complexity behind the App Store. It isn't something that can just be thrown together in a year.

So if you had more money and large teams of engineers you Couldnt get the job done faster? Plus from the time geohot first jailbreaked the iphone how long did it take for them to get their version of the app store up and running? on a shoestring budget. Was a fraction of the time you are saying. Im not saying apple didnt plan it before but you cant say is impossibly over complicated to be made in less than a year. saurik has proven my point. Remember apple was pushing hard for web apps at first. How did they work out?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Question: How do they know how many have installed it? Does it send other data to a server when you jailbreak? :eek:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

Didn't we already beat this meme to death in the discussion thread from the other story post about evasi0n just a couple days ago? Were you not paying attention then? Or were you too "waisted" to care? ;)

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Question: How do they know how many have installed it? Does it send other data to a server when you jailbreak? :eek:

jailbreaking installs Cydia automatically so all you have to track are the amount of downloads. Doesn't mean those are unique ones though, unless they track UIDs.

And here is a secret - you go online, SOMEONE sees and knows what you are doing.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
As iOS becomes more and more stale, people will want more and more to enhance it...

Wake up Apple...

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
There is nothing like a limited supply with a jailbreak.
As long as the download server manages the load, everybody who wants to get the software can get it 10 minutes after release.

People have been waiting for this jailbreak for months, so there's a high chance that they will have jailbroken their devices the night the jailbreak was released.
As the news that this jailbreak exists has been reported everywhere on the web, almost anyone interested in jailbreaking his device will know about it by now.
And they will have jailbroken their device the same day they learned about the JB.

So the 7 million jailbroken devices will most likely be owned the majority of people interested in jailbreaking their iOS 6 device, i doubt that there are still 50 million people out there who don't know about this JB yet or who did not apply it due to X...

So with 7-10 million people interested in Jailbreaking their iPhones, that may be a quite high number - but only if you ignore the 290 million other iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch out there that are NOT jailbroken by now and which most likely won't ever be jailbroken.

The majority of people owning iOS devices, 95+ percent, don't care for a jailbreak.

@NorEaster
The motivations of non-users are often difficult to evaluate, so the only real numbers we have about jailbroken devices are the ones from this article - and they are not that impressive if viewed in context.

Then why does thel install of any new OS or software go gradually?

----------

Stating that people want something like a jailbreak, but simply have no idea that something like that exists, is just a rewording of the old "People who don't do XY are just to lazy/stupid/poor for XY - if they were less lazy/less stupid/less poor they would do XY" that has been used in a thousand contexts, often also to call users of Apple products "iSheep", if this argument is used by a militant Android fan.

Different peoke have different needs and it seems that a lot don't need/want a jailbreak, due to no interest in jailbreak-stuff or the problems that can get caused by a jailbreak (crashing weather app) and many other reasons.

What's your point? They don't know what a jailbreak is...

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
jailbreaking installs Cydia automatically so all you have to track are the amount of downloads. Doesn't mean those are unique ones though, unless they track UIDs.

And here is a secret - you go online, SOMEONE sees and knows what you are doing.

Yeah, every site gets your IP address, but I wonder if Cydia is sending more personal data. I'm not very concerned about it.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Awesome!

7 Million people can't be wrong. Apple needs to step up and really compete with Android.
I waited months with a limited iPhone 5. Now I am really happy with it. I can customize it all.
It is what is supposed to be without all the boring limitations...:rolleyes:
My main tweaks:
BiteSMS. I love the quick compose and reply and specially the 3-second delay to send... Sometimes u just regret what u wrote :D and the contact photos on the messages. The way it should've always been.
Auxo... WOW! Like a Mac OS X Dock for the iPhone. Apple Should buy this technology!
Intelliscreen X. Weather, Mail, Facebook and more on your lock screen
Automator. Any button or switch can be assigned an action.
Barrel. Pac-Man!
Unfold. Awesome and Fun lock screen slider with custom text.
Cyntact. Photos on Contacts and Favorites.
Full USB access to your whole iPhone disk.

I hope iOS 7 comes with some surprises. Nevertheless I will keep jailbreaking all the way to iOS X.
;)

Sweetcheetah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Monthly Free iPhone Hot Spot

Well, I downloaded for one reason and one reason alone. To be able to spend just $20 one time to register this app called MyWi. To be able to use my iphone to act as a hotspot for me and my business partner's laptop when we're out and about working anywhere where I have good 3G signal and not relying on local Wifi at cafes or anywhere to go to, to do work on our laptops. And not having to spend the extra $10 a month for the Sprint Hot Spot. So, I'm saving a ton. I may dabble a little on few cool jail break apps that aren't available in the apple app store.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

Totally. So stop posting online and go outside.

lucaseve

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009

People should indeed try to get out and get a life instead to talk and write about something they don't know and/or don't understand. ;-)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
So what you're saying is you don't want the next generation tinkering with their phones, learning about apps and software, thus creating new and innovative designers, and driving technology to the next level? :rolleyes:

I don't think jailbreaking is what you described it as. Downloading N64_4_iphone and the 5-icon dock is not exactly "learning about apps and software" or training you to be innovative.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Just re-jailbroke my iPhone 5 in order to have MyWi- best $25 I've spent.

25 mbps unlimited tethering over LTE, can't beat it. No need to sign up for ATT's $15 iPad plan, and works great with my Macbook Air.

Hotels, Amtrak, Boltbus, and coffee shop WiFi's are so slow, now you have your own.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I jailbroke the other day and I believe it's now at 1.2, not 1.1. A trivial thing though.

I am reporting battery life stable, and no performance issues even with Winterboard. Any one else?

----------

Just re-jailbroke my iPhone 5 in order to have MyWi- best $25 I've spent.

25 mbps unlimited tethering over LTE, can't beat it. No need to sign up for ATT's $15 iPad plan, and works great with my Macbook Air.

Hotels, Amtrak, Boltbus, and coffee shop WiFi's are so slow, now you have your own.

I'm starting to feel guilty about recommending this app. To be honest, I've had problems with it in the past and just when I thought they'd fix the problems in the next iteration.... I'm left disappointed.

Fortunately it "ONLY" cost me 5 bucks to upgrade from MyWi5 to MyWi6. But with MyWi installed, I noticed my wifi performance took a BIG hit. Thinking it was MyWi (I was correct, as this had been the source of problems in the past) I de-installed it. Wifi performance went back to normal.

I've emailed Intelliborn... hopefully they'll get back to me about it. For one -- I don't see why they don't have their own Notification Centre toggles. I really do hope they get their game together.

----------

People should indeed try to get out and get a life instead to talk and write about something they don't know and/or don't understand. ;-)

Oh Geezus... yeah. Some people need to get their head out of the sand. It'd be funny if the guy realises that Jailbreaking is NOT for pirating stuff. I pay plenty for JB apps and tweaks... apps and tweaks that are NOT available for purchase on the Apple AppStore.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Cydia knows how many installs it has

----------

And more and more people will look elsewhere more importantly

How many installs. Doesn't mean they are unique. The figure would include people re-jailbreaking for one reason or another :)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
How many installs. Doesn't mean they are unique. The figure would include people re-jailbreaking for one reason or another :)

Im not 100% sure but you may have a point and be right. But when I tried it on my ipad it went without a hitch so I wouldnt expect too many ppl needing a re-install. Either way Cydia was slammed like never before upon release.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I've always been tempted with jailbreaking my phone, but there's only one or two things that I think I'd really buy into (such as Auxo). The main barrier for me is that if I do, I won't be able to get any software updates from Apple.

Am I wrong? Discuss. :D

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I find no use for jailbreak anymore. I'm content with iOS 6 and unless someone can list an app that a user would use on a day to day basis that's game changing from what Apple offers or doesn't offer, I can't see myself jailbreaking.

I always find jailbreaks to cause crashes and be slow. I had my 3G 3GS and i5 all jailbroken. Next day quickly removed.

And I'm sure people have heard of jailbreaking (at least those aged 30 and under) but probably think it does something else like allow your phone to be unlocked from the carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.