Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I know the upgrade between iPads has been tremendous over the years, but for an individual who simply wants to use their iPad for light internet surfing and watching TV and movies, is there a distinction between the original iPad and the iPad4?
(I know there is retina, but outside of that, what advantages are there for just the usage described above?)

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Depends on how you are watching TV and Movies.

If you already have iTunes files you can sync to the iPad one, excepting the better screens (not just high resolution, but better screens) it'd be about the same.

Light internet browsing on the iPad 1 with 5.1 has become pretty painful, in my opinion, as it just seems sluggish. It was much better on 4.x or even 3.3 for BOOM fast responsiveness.

But, maybe that is just me being spoiled by the iPhones 4S and 5.

I'm ready to upgrade my iPad when a retina iPad mini or a iPad 5 with mini style design / lightness comes out.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I ask, as I have the opportunity to trade my iPad4 16GB white for an original iPad* 64GB in truly excellent condition (near new, actually) +$300.00.

I really only use the iPad at work on lunch breaks and at the gym to watch (iTunes downloaded) TV shows and such while on the bike.

Sometimes on vacation I may use the WIFI and check emails, surf the internet, but no heavy lifting.

*This iPad is on 4.3.5

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
I ask, as I have the opportunity to trade my iPad4 16GB white for an original iPad* 64GB in truly excellent condition (near new, actually) +$300.00.

I really only use the iPad at work on lunch breaks and at the gym to watch (iTunes downloaded) TV shows and such while on the bike.

Sometimes on vacation I may use the WIFI and check emails, surf the internet, but no heavy lifting.

*This iPad is on 4.3.5

Sounds like it would do the job - you wont notice a difference with video IMO but text will not be as sharp. Something to keep in mind.

You could always sell now then if you dont like it sell and upgrade to the ipad mini?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Light internet browsing on the iPad 1 with 5.1 has become pretty painful, in my opinion, as it just seems sluggish. It was much better on 4.x or even 3.3 for BOOM fast responsiveness.

But, maybe that is just me being spoiled by the iPhones 4S and 5.

It's not you - the iPad 1 was far faster and more reliable under previous iOS versions.

I bet it's another example of Apple's deliberately slowing and dumbing down older iDevice models to force people to upgrade. Wouldn't be the first occassion, not in the least. (See: iPhone 3G + iOS 4.x; disabling antialiasing in iOS 5 for iPad 1+2 for 2x iPhone mode etc.)

----------

I know the upgrade between iPads has been tremendous over the years, but for an individual who simply wants to use their iPad for light internet surfing and watching TV and movies, is there a distinction between the original iPad and the iPad4?
(I know there is retina, but outside of that, what advantages are there for just the usage described above?)

For video playback if and only if those videos can be played back using hardware acceleration (they're mov / mp4 / m4v files OR you're jailbroken and use RushPlayer+ for MKV playback), you won't notice much of a difference, unless you try to play back 60 fps videos. Apart from the screen resolution, of course.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I don't think Apple is 'deliberately slowing down' anything, but rather, they aren't all that concerned with backwards-performance. Each new OS revision is designed to take full advantage of the latest hardware.

That said, I have an iPad 1 running the latest variation of iOS 5 (iOS 6 isn't compatible with the iPad 1). 64GB + 3G. No desire to get rid of it at all. However, if I understood you right, you want to trade a 16GB iPad 4 in PLUS $300? That seems steep. Your iPad was, what, $400 new? His was around $700. So.. you are basically paying full brand-new price for that iPad 1. Better off selling your iPad 4 and finding a refurb iPad 2 or even 3 for that price. Personally, I think an iPad 4 16GB for an iPad 1 64GB is an even trade. I'd rather have the 64 gig iPad 1 myself, but value wise, I think they are worth about the same IMO. In fact, mine even has 3G ($829 new), and I don't think I'd be able to get more than $400 for it. There are a LOT of these things out there...

I use my iPad for web surfing, watching videos (Hulu, Netflix), reading, taking notes, as a big PDA (calendar, etc.), games, all sorts of Apps. I use it all the time. I'd like the 4 for the retina display and LTE, but, I'm in no hurry right now. It still works great. In fact, I was more 'ready' to move on to the iPhone 5 from my iPhone 4 than I am to move on from my trust old iPad.

-John

EDIT:

Here;

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...C497LLA-PB-B&gclid=CJyrz5f6rLUCFSNqMgodQHEAxA

Quick google search reveals a first gen 64GB refurb for $300. So take the $300 you were already going to spend, and just BUY a 64GB iPad instead of getting royally ripped off in that trade. Then, sell your iPad 4 and come way out ahead. I bet you could get $300 for your iPad 4, so you'll come out without spending a dime on the switch...

The more I think about the deal you've been proposed, the more I think you are getting ripped off big time...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I don't think Apple is 'deliberately slowing down' anything, but rather, they aren't all that concerned with backwards-performance. Each new OS revision is designed to take full advantage of the latest hardware.

Well, the iPhone 3G was just a little bit slower than the (in every way comparable but running at somewhat higher CPU clock speed) iPod touch 2G back in the iOS 2/3 times. Under iOS 4, the 3G "mysteriously" slowed down. Which can't be explained by iOS4's taxing the hardware too much as the iPod touch 2G is (as opposed to the absolutely awful iPhone 3G) is perfectly usable under 4.2.1.

And that was only one example of Apple's greed and sometimes making 2-year-old hardware unable to run ANYTHING released - see the example of the new, iOS6-capable XCode, which requires the target to be at least 4.3, completely making it impossible to make any (new/updated) apps compatible with 1st and 2nd-gen devices. This step was absolutely unnecessary on Apple's part and was very hostile to people that may have purchased their iPt 2G in Sept 2010 (it was sold by Apple up until then).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.