Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I am referring to the sound only. Is the iMac sound speakers better than the thunderbolt display's sound speakers?

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
i know that imac has stereo speakers and thunderbolt display has 2.1 speakers

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
FWIW, I've been using my 2012 27" iMac for about a week now and I'm continually surprised on how well the sound carries despite the thin display enclosure. The bass isn't going to vibrate your windows, but its surprisingly strong. I think its one of the overlooked engineering feats of the new design.

I also use a TB Display at work with my MBA and I have to admit that I find the sound lacking out of it in comparison.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
FWIW, I've been using my 2012 27" iMac for about a week now and I'm continually surprised on how well the sound carries despite the thin display enclosure. The bass isn't going to vibrate your windows, but its surprisingly strong. I think its one of the overlooked engineering feats of the new design.

I also use a TB Display at work with my MBA and I have to admit that I find the sound lacking out of it in comparison.

I agree. I have a 2012 21" iMac and a TD display. The audio is much better on the iMac imo.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

i was waiting for someone to correct me ;)

Is the bass better than TB?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I traded my Thunderbolt display and Mac Mini in for a 27" iMac, late 2012 model. I can confirm that the sound is DEFINITELY better on the new iMac then on the Thunderbolt display - and I'm a DJ so I know my audio quality.

That said, nothing still beats a nice pair of Logitech or Bose speakers hooked up to your desktop, but for the day to day I'm just fine with the iMac's built in sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.