Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aymeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Hi everybody! I'm new here and have recently been trying to purchase a used iMac.

I came across someone selling one with these specs:

2011 iMac 21.5'' 3.6gHz, intel core 5, 8gb RAM, OSX 10.6.8
comes with bluetooth keyboard but wired mouse.

I'm not sure if this is good for what I will be using the computer for. I will be using it primarily for work in adobe photoshop, illustrator, after effects, and video.

The price I was given was $750 and I have no idea what a computer with those specs is going for. Is that good or should I keep looking?

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If....

that computer is a iMac, mid-2010 (last I remember with a 3.6 GHz processor), then you are having a good deal. But still, good care of the machine, no cosmetic and functional issues, and some AppleCare left dont hurt...If the computer has the 1 TB stock disk, maybe you have to upgrade it, because media files can be big. And going up to the 16 GB of RAM can be also a toughtful investment. I will not pay more than $800-900 in that machine, FYI...

:):apple:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everybody! I'm new here and have recently been trying to purchase a used iMac.

I'm not sure if this is good for what I will be using the computer for. I will be using it primarily for work in adobe photoshop, illustrator, after effects, and video.

The price I was given was $750 and I have no idea what a computer with those specs is going for. Is that good or should I keep looking?

I would drop the offer a bit since the owner is keeping the magic mouse that it came with. I know it's just a personal preference, but when the machine comes with the wireless keyboard and magic mouse, I would include them in the sale.

And as previous poster said, upgrade the RAM, but as of right now since you can find firewire drives cheaper than usual, get a high capacity external firewire drive and you should be good to go. Upgrade the internal HDD later.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

That's a Mid 2010 model. It's possible that it was purchased in 2011 before the release of the Mid 2011 models, but still be advised. For that price, it's not bad; though it's still a 2009-2011 iMac, and thusly an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Magic Mouse sells for $40 + used

And even though $40 is arguably inexpensive, it's still an extra expense. I don't use my original mouse with the trackball because the trackball gets annoying and doesn't stay clean. With the MM or MT, at least they stay clean and continue to work.

----------

That's a Mid 2010 model. It's possible that it was purchased in 2011 before the release of the Mid 2011 models, but still be advised. For that price, it's not bad; though it's still a 2009-2011 iMac, and thusly an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period.

What makes that Mac, since it's a 2009-2011 iMac, an unreliable Mac compared to literally every other Mac made in that time period?

I have an early 2009 iMac that's still working properly. My wife has a late 2009 iMac that is also working properly and normally and actually didn't end up needing AppleCare either.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
And even though $40 is arguably inexpensive, it's still an extra expense. I don't use my original mouse with the trackball because the trackball gets annoying and doesn't stay clean. With the MM or MT, at least they stay clean and continue to work.

O yeah - I totally agree - I think if they dont include the magic mouse the price should be less.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Hey OP,

Is the seller going to give you the original Snow Leopard discs as well? If not, I would pass on the deal, even thought the price seems to be good. I would start to question the seller's motives and intentions if things that were included with the original purchase(especially with such a new computer) are not being included in this sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.