Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Bussiness men/woman -

What apps are you using to engage with your customers? I'm in sales and here is what I want to do.

I want to store PDF catalogs on my phone to email or show customers. I really like google drive, but it looks like i cannot upload PDF files to google drive???

I also want to keep detailed notes of customers and other things. I'd like this to be cloud based (dont want to use icloud)

What are you guys using to manage your business accounts and day to day activities?

Thanks for the help.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
This may not be what you're asking, but apps that I use for productivity and can be used for conducting business;

Linkedin - really handy to be able to use it on my phone. Has most features of desktop version.

Teamviewer- I can control my desktop from my phone. Very cool If I need to remotely access something.

Genius Scan- I can take pictures of documents and store them as pdfs. It has software that "enhances" the images to make them easier to read and look like actual documents, which is nice. It has wifi sharing, which allows me to access documents from my computer. With the free version, I can only email the docs. But with the paid version, I can directly print from the app, send it to Box, dropbox, evernote google drive, or skydrive, which is awesome.

Box - I can access my docs on this. I have 50gb free cloud storage, so this has replaced dropbox for me (box has sync feature too). Very cool.

Any.DO - simple to-do list app. Very elegant and easy. It's free as well.

Mailbox - downloaded this recently. I can't use it though since they are opening it up to users on a reservation basis. There's well over 100k users in front of me. elegant mailbox though, makes things easier.

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
This may not be what you're asking, but apps that I use for productivity and can be used for conducting business;

Linkedin - really handy to be able to use it on my phone. Has most features of desktop version.

Teamviewer- I can control my desktop from my phone. Very cool If I need to remotely access something.

Genius Scan- I can take pictures of documents and store them as pdfs. It has software that "enhances" the images to make them easier to read and look like actual documents, which is nice. It has wifi sharing, which allows me to access documents from my computer. With the free version, I can only email the docs. But with the paid version, I can directly print from the app, send it to Box, dropbox, evernote google drive, or skydrive, which is awesome.

Box - I can access my docs on this. I have 50gb free cloud storage, so this has replaced dropbox for me (box has sync feature too). Very cool.

Mailbox - downloaded this recently. I can't use it though since they are opening it up to users on a reservation basis. There's well over 100k users in front of me. elegant mailbox though, makes things easier.

Thanks! I think the Genius app will be great, i will try that out! I really want to use Google drive! I'm thinking I may have to upload things to it through my laptop then access it on my phone, but I really wish i can upload to it as well (not just pictures or video).

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it kind sir/madam

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the Box tip. Just got the 50gb account.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Bussiness men/woman -

What apps are you using to engage with your customers? I'm in sales and here is what I want to do.

I want to store PDF catalogs on my phone to email or show customers. I really like google drive, but it looks like i cannot upload PDF files to google drive???

I also want to keep detailed notes of customers and other things. I'd like this to be cloud based (dont want to use icloud)

What are you guys using to manage your business accounts and day to day activities?

Thanks for the help.

I havent found a way to attach any files besides pics and vids to emails so you might be out of luck. U cant store docs on the phone.. u have to use dropbox or box, etc. If you want to attach a doc via dropbox, u can. The email client will just provide a link to the file on dropbox. Yea.. lame.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
We use a SalesForce.com based solution for our field force; with a 3rd party on top. But that is specific to our business.

In addition GoodReader is not too bad to manage files locally and send them by eMail when required.
But check with your company if you are allowed to do that; depend on business area and country you might run in compliance/legal issues.

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
I use iBooks to store my catalogs and PDFs. I used good reader, but after realizing I can sort PDFs and whatnot with folders in iBooks it works on my iPad and iPhone.

I use pages, numbers and keynote for the basic office stuff. I am currently using the built in calendar and mail apps. My exchange work server works fine with them.

I as well will try the genius app. I've been sending pictures to pages and then emailing as PDF, but this app may speed up the process.

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I havent found a way to attach any files besides pics and vids to emails so you might be out of luck. U cant store docs on the phone.. u have to use dropbox or box, etc. If you want to attach a doc via dropbox, u can. The email client will just provide a link to the file on dropbox. Yea.. lame.

I just find this ridiculously stupid!! Why in the hell can we not send a file to our phone, open an email, and attach a PDF? What kind of dummied down smart phone is this!!

----------

I use iBooks to store my catalogs and PDFs. I used good reader, but after realizing I can sort PDFs and whatnot with folders in iBooks it works on my iPad and iPhone.

I use pages, numbers and keynote for the basic office stuff. I am currently using the built in calendar and mail apps. My exchange work server works fine with them.

I as well will try the genius app. I've been sending pictures to pages and then emailing as PDF, but this app may speed up the process.

If you don't mind can you please give me instructions on how to send PDF files to iBooks?

maddogsrfr81

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
All you do is open the PDF, whether from email or a website. Hit the arrow in the top right corner and it will ask you what the open it with. Once you open something in iBooks it is saved in it. Click on the edit button on top left of iBooks when you are looking at the book shelf and click move. "Move" is how you can organize the PDFs into folders. Really easy, but I didn't notice it rot away and bought good reader. Now the only reason I will put files into good reader is to get customers to sign PDFs. There are apps that are better, but since I already bought good reader I make it work. The only negative from. iBooks is that you cannot edit the PDFs just view. Also my PDFs don't sync through the cloud so I plug in my iPhone to the computer once in a while. Everything purchased syncs perfectly.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I havent found a way to attach any files besides pics and vids to emails so you might be out of luck.

Why in the hell can we not send a file to our phone, open an email, and attach a PDF? What kind of dummied down smart phone is this!!

Sure you can.

Get this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-pro-file-viewer/id374142847?mt=8

And get a Dropbox account.* Pay for the 100 GB account and log into it on your computer and store all your documents on it.

Then log into that app with Dropbox. Documents Pro is split in half: One half is cloud storage, the other half is internal phone storage. You can move files back and forth depending on where you want them to live.

So, first off, you have access to all your computer's documents on your phone over the 'net. Second, you can copy stuff from Dropbox's servers to Document Pro's internal storage. Do this for files you absolutely have to have, even when the internet is unavailable.

You can open PDFs in Documents Pro and send them to the email app. You can also save PDFs from the Apple email app back into Documents Pro. Save them in the Dropbox half of Documents Pro and that PDF you saved on your phone is now synced back to your computer too!

* (That app also supports Google Drive. If you want to, just keep using that and do everything I said with Google instead of Dropbox. But man, I really love Dropbox which is why I'm using it in my example.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.