Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a forum user at Chinese site sjbbs.zol.com.cn posted several photos (via The Times of India) of what was alleged to be the iPhone 5S in production. Despite the fact that the device is clearly an iPhone 5 clone, the photos have been widely circulating today.

iphone_5_clone_1.jpg
The photos show a device with an outward appearance very similar to the iPhone 5, but the internals show essentially no resemblance to an Apple-designed device. Examples of just a few of the inconsistencies include:

- A battery capacity of just 1130 mAh compared to 1440 mAh for the iPhone 5
- An apparent SD card slot
- Loose red and black wires connecting components
- A green PCB for the connector bearing no resemblance to Apple's Lightning connector

iphone_5_clone_2.jpg
Apple has been reported to be moving forward on an iPhone 5S model that will unsurprisingly appear very similar to the iPhone 5, although the iPhone 5S is said to feature upgrades to the rear camera. Other improvements such as upgraded internals are also certain to make their way into the new model. Reports have suggested that the device could launch as soon as June or July of this year.

Steve Hemmerstoffer of French site Nowhereelse.fr tweeted a photo three days ago showing some of the obviously fake characteristics of the device:

iphone_5_clone_3.jpg

Article Link: Photos of iPhone 5 Clone Circulating as Alleged 'iPhone 5S'

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
*Me being DigiTimes*

This is CLEARLY an Apple prototype, so click this link and get us ad money!!

*Me being CNBC*
Apple is a dying company, look at their margins!

*Me being rabid fandroid*
The iPhone is clearly a crappy platform, look at the quality, it's clearly going downhill

*Me being Apple Sheep*
OMG AMAZING, magical loose battery is loose.

*Me being a sane, normal individual*
Meh, looks like it's cheap crap. Probably not genuine.

*Me Being me*
Let me write out what everyone is probably thinking about in the comments section of macrumors! :D
Oh look a cheap fake iPhone.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
I refuse to believe Apple will release a device with such a small digital display, and an extending measuring rod, as their next iteration of the iPhone.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Iphone 5s will be the first upgrade Ill have missed. Eventually you have to ask yourself if it is real value for money upgrading every time. Dont think it is anymore. They're all so good now and cameras also that improvement are negligible and the upgrades are not cheap.

paul3000

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I have seen this story on plenty of sites talking about how this is definitely the new iPhone 5s. I don't know why I read anything other than items posted on Macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.