Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Or have you all had time to adjust? At first I thought it was amazing, but now I'm too used to it and so don't get the same feeling of excitement when I use it anymore. (Both the iPad and iPhone) what about you guys?

Last edited:

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes I guess it's a bit like colour TV in that respect. I'm too young to remember the days before it, but I can imagine it was a big deal when it first came out. High resolution is the same I guess.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Used to it but should be the standard now. When I look at an ipad 2 now, it looks like a fuzzy Atari game.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Or have you all had time to adjust? At first I thought it was amazing, but now I'm too used to it and so don't get the same feeling of excitement when I use it anymore. (Both the iPad and iPhone) what about you guys?
Well, in 2010 the iPad was like "wow, such a big touchscreen" and now, for many people, it is "just another device". Devices can't stay special forever... at some point you'll get used to them ;)

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Still special to me. Came from an ipad 2, then got a mini, decided I wanted to try retina, now I can't imagine owning an ipad without retina. Everything's just so clear

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

I think you are not appreciating what you have because you have not went back and used a non-retina display for an extended period of time.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
The retina display heyday is over. Retina has lost market value. First and foremost because the iPhone 5 cannot even play 1080p video.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The retina display heyday is over. Retina has lost market value. First and foremost because the iPhone 5 cannot even play 1080p video.

Yes, it can and so can the iPad mini. Does it play at full res? No, but both of those devices can record and playback 1080p video.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Retina is nice - im just to cheap to actually buy it. Retina iPad and rMBP dont interest me - not because of the screen. I love the screen - there are other cons that keep me from them.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I had the iPad 3 and exchanged it for a mini that I used for 28 days, just exchanged the mini for an iPad 4 and I can say retina is definitely special.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

I think you're feelings are normal. It's like the kids who won't play with their toys after the "newness" wears off! We are all like that to some extent. You can buy a brand new car and feel thrilled when driving it - but when the new car smell wears off....well it kind of loses it luster...

----------

Yes I guess it's a bit like colour TV in that respect. I'm too young to remember the days before it, but I can imagine it was a big deal when it first came out. High resolution is the same I guess.

You got that right! My friend was the first in the neighborhood to get a color TV in 1964. Black & White was the norm as was 3 channels plus one UHF. I remember going over to his house and watching Disney in color. Good times.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010

1. Sell you iPad
2. Buy an ipad mini
3. Use for 1 month
4. Sell your ipad mini
5. Buy retina ipad
6. BE AMAZED AT RETINA SCREEN!

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
Newby to retina display

I just bought an IPod Touch 5... and boy the screen is magnificent. For most video you dont get the full effect, but if you watch an HD video from youtube, geese, its like 3d. I watch it mostly in bed, dark room. If you close one eye, it seems like you can walk right into the screen. I have a video from PBS- Nova. Tales from the hive (bees). The picture is amazing.

I just purchased a new IPAD... will let you know if just as amazing.

BTW - I had a 3gen touch and the upgrade for the video is worth the purchase.
I also have a 55" TV with 240mhz refresh rate... If Im watching a youtube video , sometimes (at night) I prefer to watch it on the ipod touch...

NuttBagg

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I just bought an IPod Touch 5... and boy the screen is magnificent. For most video you dont get the full effect, but if you watch an HD video from youtube, geese, its like 3d. I watch it mostly in bed, dark room. If you close one eye, it seems like you can walk right into the screen. I have a video from PBS- Nova. Tales from the hive (bees). The picture is amazing.

I just purchased a new IPAD... will let you know if just as amazing.

BTW - I had a 3gen touch and the upgrade for the video is worth the purchase.
I also have a 55" TV with 240mhz refresh rate... If Im watching a youtube video , sometimes (at night) I prefer to watch it on the ipod touch...

That may be due to the fact your TV has a 240mhz refresh rate. Or it could be the screen calibration difference, because unless your sitting to close to the TV, you shouldn't be able to see the pixels. 120/240mhz make TVs look terrible IMO. The "soap opera" effect makes everything look unnatural.

In the end it's the screens calibration, I bet. Try turning that high refresh rate down to see how it looks. This isn't meant to offend, either. Just wondering why you would ever choose to watch something on theiPod touch
over the TV. :) #PlasmaFanboyRant

And to get back on topic, I still love looking at Retina!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.