Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
A lot of rumors came around the 14th of January. Anyone have any reasonable speculations now I am hearing June time frame.

I am just curious if I should pull the trigger or wait

Last edited:

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
I'm in the same boat, wanna get a new Mac mini but not without a display, but don't fancy waiting too long for the new displays!

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
It's called the 27" iMac, you know. As expensive as a Mac Mini and TBD, same great screen but twice as powerful, so you save the upgrade of the Mac Mini in two years.

No good to me buddy, I need a portable machine I can take to and from work and I certainly don't want to waste money on a laptop, of which the screen I'd never use, so no point paying premium on that.

I want a Mac Mini that I can plug in to my TB display at home, chuck it in my bag and plug it in my TB display at work... I'm not taking an iMac on the train :)

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007

One thing I am thinking is using rewards card and buying now from Bestbuy to get a 60 day guarantee so I can return. Not sure if you can get longer elsewhere.

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK

One thing I am thinking is using rewards card and buying now from Bestbuy to get a 60 day guarantee so I can return. Not sure if you can get longer elsewhere.

If they do come out in June, then 60 days won't be enough anyway.

I think these displays, like most Apple products, hold their value quite well, so you prob could get most of your dough back on eBay (or similar) maybe.

I'm debating getting it and selling it on when the new one comes out (if I want the new one when it appears), as I really want/need to get my Mac mini soon but do not want to get it without a screen, and I don't want no ugly Dell tbh.

ChunkAhoy

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
A lot of rumors came around the 14th of January. Anyone have any reasonable speculations now I am hearing June time frame.

I am just curious if I should pull the trigger or wait

I'm also wondering if i should wait.
Where are the june rumors coming from?
Last i heard were the stocks getting low in mid Jan then coming back to normal with assumption that the lamination technique causes delay. :(

I can't wait to use something better than the mbp 15inch display.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
on the assumption you currently have a computer, why not just continue using whatever monitor you have now until the new TBD does come.

I cant do this as I dont have a monitor. I just have a MBP retina without monitor so its workable but I would like the additional screenspace for my job.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
I cant do this as I dont have a monitor. I just have a MBP retina without monitor so its workable but I would like the additional screenspace for my job.

fair enough. im also waiting for the new TBD, but have an old samsung in the meantime. im just hoping the new TBD is VESA compatible, otherwise i might buy the current gen one. unless you have a problem with the "glare" of the current one, or really want usb 3.0, personally i'd go ahead and get the current gen and then re-ebaluate when the new one comes out, decides if its worth the purchase and sell your old one

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
fair enough. im also waiting for the new TBD, but have an old samsung in the meantime. im just hoping the new TBD is VESA compatible, otherwise i might buy the current gen one. unless you have a problem with the "glare" of the current one, or really want usb 3.0, personally i'd go ahead and get the current gen and then re-ebaluate when the new one comes out, decides if its worth the purchase and sell your old one

I personally have no issues with what is expected in the new TBD, USB3.0 I don't care about (I wouldn't even use the 4 on my Mini), the design change of the new one won't bother me, and I have zero issues with glare on my iMac 27" (mid 2010) so that's not a problem either.

Only thing I think I would like on the new display will be the sharper picture (presumably where the glass is closer to the screen), but how much of a difference that would be I'm not sure.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
I personally have no issues with what is expected in the new TBD, USB3.0 I don't care about (I wouldn't even use the 4 on my Mini), the design change of the new one won't bother me, and I have zero issues with glare on my iMac 27" (mid 2010) so that's not a problem either.

Only thing I think I would like on the new display will be the sharper picture (presumably where the glass is closer to the screen), but how much of a difference that would be I'm not sure.

could always go to an apple store and play around on a new 27 iMac and then the current TBD, thats what i did and i really didnt notice that much of a difference. then again in store may not be the optimal place to experiment

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
could always go to an apple store and play around on a new 27 iMac and then the current TBD, thats what i did and i really didnt notice that much of a difference. then again in store may not be the optimal place to experiment

Yeah I think I'm gonna grab one this week, phoned my local Apple store and they have a few in stock, I need and want one and my Mac mini 2.3 i7, 512gb M4 SSD and 16gb ram are on their way so want a display to go with it.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Wondering if Apple will still use LG in making the screens of the new TB Thunderbolt display this year. A Mac Tech guy told me the current displays glass screens were made by LG

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Wondering if Apple will still use LG in making the screens of the new TB Thunderbolt display this year. A Mac Tech guy told me the current displays glass screens were made by LG

Considering that there are only a few panel makers out there (most LCD monitor makers buy their panels from only a handful of companies) and I'm pretty sure LG is about the only one that makes a 1440 IPS display then your answer is Yes.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I will be pretty surprised if they don't at least announce the new Thunderbolt Display at the next event - briefly before getting to the main topic.

Perhaps it won't ship right away given the iMac manufacturing challenges, but it really is the only Mac related product (aside from the Mac Pro of course) that hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

The fact that the current model needs a clunky dongle out of the box to even work with the latest Macs is so un-Apple-like that I think it will be a priority for them to update. Plus, the dated USB 2 ports on what is marketed as a docking solution for high end Mac users makes no sense.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I will be pretty surprised if they don't at least announce the new Thunderbolt Display at the next event - briefly before getting to the main topic.

Perhaps it won't ship right away given the iMac manufacturing challenges, but it really is the only Mac related product (aside from the Mac Pro of course) that hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

The fact that the current model needs a clunky dongle out of the box to even work with the latest Macs is so un-Apple-like that I think it will be a priority for them to update. Plus, the dated USB 2 ports on what is marketed as a docking solution for high end Mac users makes no sense.

Partriot-

I got to concur with you. You convinced me not to settle. I didnt spend 3k on my notebook for a half baked docking solution. Ill try patience.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Partriot-

I got to concur with you. You convinced me not to settle. I didnt spend 3k on my notebook for a half baked docking solution. Ill try patience.

Glad I could help. I'm in the same boat as you - I have a 13" rMBP.

I sold a 27" iMac to get this so I really want that big display back with the added portability that the rMBP provides.

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
I'm now waiting for the new display instead of getting the current... Ergh I hate this waiting and not knowing rubbish!

Would Apple stealthily launch the new TBD without a conference do we reckon? Or we gonna have to at least wait for a conference before we get the chance of an announcement? Do we know when the next apple conf is?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm now waiting for the new display instead of getting the current... Ergh I hate this waiting and not knowing rubbish!

Would Apple stealthily launch the new TBD without a conference do we reckon? Or we gonna have to at least wait for a conference before we get the chance of an announcement? Do we know when the next apple conf is?

A new Thunderbolt Display could absolutely be announced without an event. In the past, Apple has even brought new iMacs to market without showing them off at an event (see 2007 and 2009), so the Thunderbolt Display certainly could fall into that category.

Unfortunately, no one has any idea when that could be so it's easier to speculate that they'll be unveiled as part of an upcoming event that we know will happen.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
waiting as well, looking at a fuzzy 24" BENQ monitor for one my my externals. Soon, my precious, soon.

And yes, I hope there is a VESA mount as well.

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
A new Thunderbolt Display could absolutely be announced without an event. In the past, Apple has even brought new iMacs to market without showing them off at an event (see 2007 and 2009), so the Thunderbolt Display certainly could fall into that category.

Unfortunately, no one has any idea when that could be so it's easier to speculate that they'll be unveiled as part of an upcoming event that we know will happen.

Here's hoping for a stealth release, would be sooner then... Well it best be :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.