Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello,

So I got my Power Mac G5 last week and its running great with Leopard. I've just bought some extra ram for it.

The 64mb Nvidia FX5200 it shipped with though is a lil jerky on Leopards graphical stuff and I wondered if buying the 128MB ATI 9600 XT with ADC would solve this issue? I have to get something like this as I need an ADC port for my 17'' Studio display and from my understanding this is one of the better GPU's with an ADC connector.

I would buy the ADC adaptor, but they are a fortune more than I paid for the G5 and only come up for sale on ebay once every blue moon. Can anyone who has this card in a G5 confirm that it works quite smooth and more fluid than the FX5200 with Leopard, otherwise if the performance is the same I think i'll give it a miss.

I also understand the FX5200 doesn't support Leopards transparent menu bar does the ATI 9600 XT?

thanks a lot,

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
The card would work a lot better but just a quick question, why are you still using a 17inch crt monitor?

umm I'm not using a CRT monitor? I never said it was lol. its the 17'' Studio LCD. It maybe an old LCD, but the viewing angle is immense way better than newer panels, the colours are perfectly crisp and I actually think it produces a better picture than my 27'' LG 3D LED monitor to be honest. It defo has a better viewing angle thats for sure.

Last edited:

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Don't bother with the 9600xt.. Just get a 9800xt or pro, much, much nicer card and probably around the same price..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.