Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Hey,

I was wondering if it's necessary to have a screen protector.
The case I wil be using is the Speck Pixelskin HD, so a case for the back only...

Thomas

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its not required and you'll get responses for and against this.

My perspective is that I like a screen protector as it protects the olephobic coating which had worn off on an older phone.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
It's pretty much up to you, but if you want to maximize the resale value while protecting from goofs and oops, it will most likely pay for itself in peace of mind.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Hey,

The case I wil be using is the Speck Pixelskin HD, so a case for the back only...

Thomas

for the cost of a screen protector, I would not hesitate to have one. In my experience it does not take away from the phone and it adds a layer of protection. Win/Win

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Sounds like I should get one. ;)
What screen protectors are good?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA

Moshi make ones that are removable and cleanable, but are noticeably thick. Zags are great, but tricky to install and a tad bit over priced. There are a gazillion on Amazon for under $5, I've tried a few and you get what you pay for. At this time I'm the most pleased with the Zagg, but it took me three installs to get it perfect.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I favor the concept of a screen protector but have given up on them over the years, mainly because if you really, truly use your phone daily and take it everywhere with you and are always pulling it out and then putting it back in, then no matter which one I've used (even the really stuck-on tough ones like the Zagg), the edges always eventually start peeling away. Always.

Unless maybe I start wearing really loose pants with big pockets (with suspenders)...:D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's a matter of preference -- same as any other device.

Subjective -- just like any other topic. What are your preferences? What's your budget? Don't overlook the countless prior screen protector threads. See if any of the discussed options sound like a god fit for you.

Without a doubt, the best plastic screen protector you will find.
Also subjective. There's no one screen protector that everyone finds best.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Will the screen get scratched with normal use, for example getting the phone out of your pocket?
Any people who have used iPhone's without screen protectors?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't like them myself as every one of them, no matter how high the quality, won't be as nice to touch and swipe continually. Simply put, the experience is diminished.

The iPhone 5's glass is definitely the toughest yet and after months of use mine only has two micro scratches in it (only visible in strong light).

Last edited:

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I don't like them myself as every one of them, no matter how high the quality, will be as nice to touch and swipe continually. Simply put, the experience is diminished.

The iPhone 5's glass is definitely the toughest yet and after months of use mine only has two micro scratches in it (only visible in strong light).

Nice to hear that!
I am still considering to go without a screen protector...

If I buy I think I buy a Belkin, because Zagg and Spigen are very expensive.
The Belkin ones are very cheap in the Netherlands and you get 3 in one pack.
Are belkin screen protectors any good?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I would definitely get one seeing as it really adds no bulk and you can hardly tell a screen protector is on. I love having a screen protector on my 5, gives me good piece of mind knowing my screen wont get scratched.

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
Ive had my Zagg HD since the first day iPhone 5 came out and there is no peeling at all. The protector feels just like a glass. Spigens are not bad either.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I've had a pretty good experience with the tech armor. You really want to set aside a good half hour to an hour of uninterrupted time, esp. if it's your first time applying an iphone screen protector.

The process requires focus and concentration as the fit of the protector needs to be rather exact.

The tech armor package came with 3 screen protectors. The first of the 3 was badly scratched oddly enough. But the other two were in great shape.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Wrong. I've used the iphone 5 brand spanking new without a screen protector and brand spanking new with a screen protector.

The screen is far brighter and the image much more vivid without a sp, true. Also, the screen actuates without actually being touched sans sp. In fact, you can actually use the screen controls if your fingers hover just slightly above the screen or make the slightest contact. Freaky.

With a sp, you do actually need to touch and press very lightly against the sp to actuate onscreen controls.

Therefore, without a sp, the screen is far more responsive, responding even to the hovering of your fingers much less to it's touch.

However, I grew accustomed to actually touching the sp in order to actuate controls. I also didn't like using a bare and clean screen after using a sp. The sp accumulates some oils from your hands and fingers after a bit of use. This actually will make it easier to swipe and glide your fingers across the screen.

With a clean, bare screen, your fingers will actually catch on the glass if you press against the screen, in the same way that a squeegee will squeak as it encounters resistance as you wipe a window down.

But neither experience is necessarily better than the other; they are simply different ways of interacting with the touch screen. The reduction in screen brightness imo is more than offset by the reassurance of having full screen protection for the glass.

I don't like them myself as every one of them, no matter how high the quality, won't be as nice to touch and swipe continually. Simply put, the experience is diminished.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

I strongly recommend getting one of SGP's screen protectors. They have a matte one, a clear one and one in between (the one I use-ultra optics). Btw I also use a pixel skin HD, its a great case.

Link: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/ap...hone-5-screen-protector-steinheil-series.html

Edit: I am very happy with my ultra optics one as it doesn't lower the screen quality much at all (95% clarity and much clearer than all matte screen protectors I know of) and provides the smoothness and anti finger print characteristics of the matte one.

Last edited:

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I strongly recommend getting one of SGP's screen protectors. They have a matte one, a clear one and one in between (the one I use-ultra optics). Btw I also use a pixel skin HD, its a great case.

Nice to hear you like the Pixelskin HD, I will get mine today! :D
I looked at SGP's screen protectors, but I can't buy them here in the Netherlands...
If I have to buy them in the US, the shipping costs are higher than the screen protectors themselves.

So (as I said in my prvious post), I saw these: http://www.bol.com/nl/p/belkin-screenprotector-voor-de-apple-iphone5/9005000012616318/
Would they be any good? :confused:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Nice to hear you like the Pixelskin HD, I will get mine today! :D
I looked at SGP's screen protectors, but I can't buy them here in the Netherlands...
If I have to buy them in the US, the shipping costs are higher than the screen protectors themselves.

So (as I said in my prvious post), I saw these: http://www.bol.com/nl/p/belkin-screenprotector-voor-de-apple-iphone5/9005000012616318/
Would they be any good? :confused:

Belkin is generally good but maybe try find a review of the one you are looking for. Are you after a matte one (anti smudge/fingerprint) or a clear one?

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.