Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Not sure there would be enough interest. Seems almost like a thread could handle it in the interim.

I think it's a cool idea. I've seen a ton of forums do it, though idk exactly how it would work here.

People could meet up somewhere and talk about mac stuff face to face, offer tech help, etc...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I don't know if this was brought up before, and I am aware that a good number of members here are based in the US ...
For example, in the Asia subforum, ... or whatnot.

It's cool if my idea is shot down - I thought I would throw it out there.

Not sure there would be enough interest. Seems almost like a thread could handle it in the interim.

I think it's a cool idea. I've seen a ton of forums do it, though idk exactly how it would work here.

People could meet up somewhere and talk about mac stuff face to face, offer tech help, etc...

I would think a well titled thread would get it started, and then a moderator can be notified if people were posting 'off-continent' as it were. A slightly more rigorous degree of moderation to keep geographically off-topic posts from appearing. Some of us might like to lurk in those threads, sometimes it's a fun way to learn about other places.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I think it might be a good idea to have regional forums for the international users on macrumors. It would be handy for these users to have somewhere to ask country specific questions without having hunderds of bemused Americans point to US solutions which may be of no use to us.

Obviously most issues people have are common to everyone and should go on the main boards, but say I want to ask about the Irish iTunes Store, or an Irish rebate offer, it's of no interest to US posters, and a waste of bandwith to have on the general boards.

The regions I'd suggest are;
* Ireland/UK
* Continental Europe
* Southern Americas
* Asia
* Australia/New Zealand
* Africa
But obviously these could be altered.

Anyone else think this is a good idea??

There is no "Southern Americas" - it's North, Central and South America - besides, Brazil for instance is not hispanic or "latino" (whatever that nonsense means, of course).

So it might make more sense to group languages together (in my view a much stronger integration factor) instead of lumping diverse countries from the same geographical area in a non-integrated community.

I for one would love to see that in MR; it would make it easier for people to discuss, especially when they are not fluent in English.

----------

Worth trying - then you can check the results/success rate and revert in case it doesn't work. Think of it as a "stock split" for MR.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I for one would love to see that in MR; it would make it easier for people to discuss, especially when they are not fluent in English.

While I would be ok with regional/country sub forums I think English still should remain main/only language. Not sure if MR would have enough moderator in all relevant languages to keep the site under control. And it's a good way to learn/improve English (I'm trying hard :D)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
...besides, Brazil for instance is not hispanic or "latino" (whatever that nonsense means, of course).

Actually, Brazilians are Latino's. One of my good friend's is a Brazilian and I just texted him to clarify. Additionally, Wikipedia advises the same.

"Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry, including Brazilians

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.