Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

letmedanz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hi all,

i have some doubts on upgrading the ram on my new imac.
i have read the guides and a few threads on this, but am posing these questions here so i can get some expert advice.
coming from 20 years of using the PC, just want to ensure i get it right

i just bought the new 27" iMac with 8gb RAM...

Should i be upgrading by adding the ram modules similar to how they are?
as in, since there are TWO 4gb modules, am i supposed to add 4gb modules only or can i combine the exisiting modules with additional 8gb or 16 gb modules?

if yes to adding different capacity modules, can i add them separately - one module of maybe 16gb now and another module a year or so later?

are there any recommended RAM manufacturers i should be looking at since i will be picking the RAM externally like ebay and not from Apple.

thanks for your time & please do let me know any additional information that needs considering

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can add two 8 GB modules of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM to get to 24 GB of RAM. Also know, that there are no 16 GB modules of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, 8 GB is the current maximum.
16 GB should be had for less than 90 USD from Newegg nowadays, Crucial and Corsair are often recommended, but others will work too, just make sure they are 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules.

Once you want more RAM, you can buy two additional 8 GB modules and replace the two 4 GB modules to get 32 GB of RAM.

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
recommend you go for Crucial ram - you can use their online memory adviser tool to ensure you get the right stuff.

simsaladimbamba's advice is also sound - getting 2x8gb sticks will give you a good boost to 24gb and you can replace the other 2x4gb with 8s later to take you to 32gb if you're running the kind of software that would benefit from this.

JStory

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Ram for iMac

At the Crucial web site you can download a program that will examine your iMac and provide a list of the memory modules you can use in your computer. I am doing the same thing as you are in my new 27" iMac.

PS. I am not associated with Crucial in any way. I have purchased from them before and had good service and the module I bought is still working fine and has been for about 6 years.

letmedanz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks you all.. will check out these options & get back if any questions :)

letmedanz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
You can add two 8 GB modules of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM to get to 24 GB of RAM. Also know, that there are no 16 GB modules of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, 8 GB is the current maximum.
16 GB should be had for less than 90 USD from Newegg nowadays, Crucial and Corsair are often recommended, but others will work too, just make sure they are 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules.

Once you want more RAM, you can buy two additional 8 GB modules and replace the two 4 GB modules to get 32 GB of RAM.

Regarding the 16GB modules, is it in the horizon to be avaialble for the iMacs or do you reckon there isn't a point in waiting?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Regarding the 16GB modules, is it in the horizon to be avaialble for the iMacs or do you reckon there isn't a point in waiting?

Probably not, and if they appear, they would probably cost like 800 USD and more per module.

And since the iMac can only accept 32 GB, what would be the point of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.