Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
The Australian government have every right to try and protect their consumers against price gouging.

Other countries should do the same IMO.

Unsure why above comments think otherwise?

You have to ask?

The comments would just be to opposite if Apple was named.
:rolleyes:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
A 3.8% price premium is what they are complaining about? Do they forget to take into account their own taxes?
Well, to give you an example. The highest standard-configuration Retina MacBook Pro costs $2799 in the United States, without taxes.

In Europe, it can cost as much $3265 without any taxes at all. So, without taxes, there's already a difference of $466. You could buy an iPad mini + an iPod shuffle + accessoiries with this money.

If you take into account that taxes are extremely high in other modern, western, countries, than the difference is even more astonishing. In Europe, the Retina Macbook Pro I talked about will cost you $3951. If you compare that with the United States, where in some states you don't even need to pay sales tax, than there's a difference of $1152.

Basically, there are two issues:

- Apple asking much more money, even when taxes are taken out of the equation (as seen above: a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $466 extra).
- High sales tax, adding to the cost compared to the USA [in some states, you don't even need to pay sales tax] (as seen above: when you include taxes, a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $1152 extra)

The second thing is something Apple can't fix. It's not their problem. The first thing, however, is outrageous.

The combination just makes it really hard to swallow for a lot of people. You can get one Retina MacBook Pro in Europe while, for the same money, in the United States you can get one[/b] Retina MacBook Pro, one iPad mini, one unlocked 16 GB iPhone 5, one Apple TV and still have $75 for accessoiries or iTunes content or whatever.

Again, the problem is a combination of Apple asking a premium plus high sales tax. Also, again, it should be no surprise: for a lot of people, it is hard to understand why in Europe - and other parts of the world - you can only get one MacBook Pro, while for the same money in the US you can get a Retina MacBook Pro + iPad mini + iPhone 5 + Apple TV + still have money left for accessories or iTunes content or whatever.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
25% tax?

What. The. ****.

Glad I didn't take that job in Norway last summer. :/

25% VAT on everything you buy here in Norway...
Along with 30% ++ (depending on what you earn) income tax there really isn't much left to spend, sadly :(

BiigBiscuit

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
If the items are priced lower won't the government receive less in taxes? Wouldn't the government want to squeeze out as much as they could in taxes?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Read it again. No cues it was sarcastic. Sarcasm isn't always easy to convey in textual form - maybe you should look that up.

Obviously there wasn't any cues you noticed. Sadly for you you're the only one missed it.

yb97

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Nothing compared to Lebanon!

The difference in pricing between Australia and US is so small!!!
A new Mac Book Pro that costs 1200$ in US is 2000$ here in Lebanon.
A 129$ Ipod nano in US costs 300$ in Lebanon.
I ca give you examples till tomorrow! Price margins are so big!:mad:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Too funny. Apple can choose the prices for its products and the consumer can choose not to buy. It's only collusion between the companies that would be illegal.

doawah

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
Free enterprise is a bitch isn't it. Try buying an imac in Maui and see what you get. It's called the Price of gas. A friend of mine recently moved to Melbourne and their kids must have their american branded cereal in the morning (Parenting issue) and they go to a store that sell Lucky charms at $18 a box. If you are going to add import taxes, shipping costs onto your product then guess what, you're going to pay more.

If the Aussie government doesn't like it then make it attractive enough for a business to setup a manufacturing plant in your country so they can offer products at a cost equivalent to other countries.

Here, use this as an example on international cost. How much to buy an australian Kangaroo burger in the States?
http://www.marxfoods.com/products/Kangaroo

nuff said.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think you and I have very different definitions of "price gouging."

Probably....

Quote:
“While television and computer prices fell 14 per cent according the to the latest Consumer Price Index Figures, there’s still a long way to go – with some estimates suggesting that Australian prices are up to 60 per cent higher than the US."

I would call that price gouging, with everything all considered - i.e., taxes etc.

You have to ask?

The comments would just be to opposite if Apple was named.
:rolleyes:

Not really, the comments would be very different if it was just microsoft being referenced...

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Well, to give you an example. The highest standard-configuration Retina MacBook Pro costs $2799 in the United States, without taxes.

In Europe, it can cost as much $3265 without any taxes at all. So, without taxes, there's already a difference of $466. You could buy an iPad mini + an iPod shuffle + accessoiries with this money.

If you take into account that taxes are extremely high in other modern, western, countries, than the difference is even more astonishing. In Europe, the Retina Macbook Pro I talked about will cost you $3951. If you compare that with the United States, where in some states you don't even need to pay sales tax, than there's a difference of $1152.

- Apple asking much more money, even when taxes are taken out of the equation (as seen above: a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $466 extra).

You also need to factor in the cost of meeting EU regulations and consumer protection laws. Since the EU essentially adds an extra year (or more) to the warranty Apple prices to pay for that added cost. In addition, the fixed costs of overhead for maintaining a local presence as well as localization needs to be factored into pricing. Finally, they need to maintain margin so higher costs mean even higher prices than just the cost differential in the end.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
25% tax?

What. The. ****.

Glad I didn't take that job in Norway last summer. :/

The UK is just as bad.

At the regular rate, they tax 22% of your salary. And then add 20% VAT onto everything you buy (except petrol, which gets a massive tax rate).

So you buy an iMac for £999 excluding VAT. Including VAT, it becomes £1199, and to buy that, you'd have to earn, before tax, £1537.

Petrol is laughable, fuel duty and VAT make up 64% of the price. So for every £1 (exc tax) of fuel, you'll have to pay £1.57, which will require earnings of £2.01 before tax (at the same 22% rate) - over double.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is ridiculous. Its not like we are talking about lifesaving drugs or anything essential. These are semi-luxury goods with plenty of alternatives that can perform the same functions.

Maybe not completly ridiculous, but I am not sure the government should be involved in setting prices for these types of goods.

That seems a bit strange.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
The UK is just as bad.

At the regular rate, they tax 22% of your salary. And then add 20% VAT onto everything you buy (except petrol, which gets a massive tax rate).

So you buy an iMac for £999 excluding VAT. Including VAT, it becomes £1199, and to buy that, you'd have to earn, before tax, £1537.

Petrol is laughable, fuel duty and VAT make up 64% of the price. So for every £1 (exc tax) of fuel, you'll have to pay £1.57, which will require earnings of £2.01 before tax (at the same 22% rate) - over double.

In Norway, with a normal salary you'll end up paying about 36% tax, before having to pay 25% VAT after that...

And when it comes to petrol, we have the normal 25% VAT in addition to about £1 of extra tax per liter of it! A liter of petrol is about £1,6 now a days...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Based on the companies being summoned, it sounds to me like the Australian Government is more concerned with software pricing than hardware pricing... Microsoft doesn't sell nearly as much Hardware as they do Software (it's in their name!), and AFAIK Adobe is Software only.

Plus whereas Apple's hardware prices are justifiable in Australia, their digital downloads aren't.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
27" base iMac Norwegian price before taxes (25%): $2141...

Here in Sweden we're currently enjoying a nice 24 % or so premium on most Macs. (Less on iPads for some reason.) I'd be happy enough with a 10 % premium, pre-VAT. (Which is to say I'm refusing to buy the iMac that I want until Apple do a currency adjustment.)

The current premium is unusual though. It is my belief that most of it is because Apple set the price using the abnormal exchange rate from last summer, even for the iMacs and rMBP launched in the autumn.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

- High sales tax, adding to the cost compared to the USA [in some states, you don't even need to pay sales tax] (as seen above: when you include taxes, a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $1152 extra)

The second thing is something Apple can't fix. It's not their problem. The first thing, however, is outrageous.

The combination just makes it really hard to swallow for a lot of people. You can get one Retina MacBook Pro in Europe while, for the same money, in the United States you can get one[/b] Retina MacBook Pro, one iPad mini, one unlocked 16 GB iPhone 5, one Apple TV and still have $75 for accessoiries or iTunes content or whatever.

Again, the problem is a combination of Apple asking a premium plus high sales tax. Also, again, it should be no surprise: for a lot of people, it is hard to understand why in Europe - and other parts of the world - you can only get one MacBook Pro, while for the same money in the US you can get a Retina MacBook Pro + iPad mini + iPhone 5 + Apple TV + still have money left for accessories or iTunes content or whatever.

from what i remember all the prices in Europe include the 20% VAT. its not extra like in the US

and in some european countries you have to include a 2 year or longer warranty so people got what they voted for

and last i read the euro is in the toilet compared to other currencies

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Simple Answer

Simple Answer: Because they can.

Price discrimination is common in many industries. For example, when you buy a movie ticket there is one price for child, adult, and senior. However, it's the same film so what gives?....it's price discrimination.

I would guess that Apple has a good explanation, but even if they didn't I think they should just say, "if you don't like our prices, don't buy our stuff". Or, "If you would like the US price and you want to save a few bucks you can buy a $2000 plane ticket to America and buy it there and take it back to your home country". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.