Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Jailbreak satisfies the desire of those who secretly want an Android but can't afford one.

I prefer my iPhone 5 stock.

My Nexus 4 is the one that's fun to customize.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
What's all the fuss about?

I installed it on my iPod touch 4th gen. I don't see what the fuss is all about. The Cydia store is horrific to navigate, and is plastered with so many adverts it makes it just an ugly experience. Not to mention the, "scroll down to see screenshots" text right above the link for screenshots. It's just ugly. I haven't been tempted to install any of the stuff on there because I don't know what most of it does because the descriptions are written in severely broken English.

It's not my cup of tea, so I restored to stock iOS 6.1.

Just my opinion.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
actually you're wrong, and by the sound of it, you don't jailbreak, so i'd hardly say you're at all qualified to speak about what jailbreaking is.

so basically, if you don't know what you're talking about, shut up.

Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

----------

...you're kidding, right?

so... i can't afford an android device (most carriers give them away)

but i could afford my 64 gig iphone 5.....factory unlocked.

k. sound logic there.

Jailbreak satisfies the desire of those who secretly want an Android but can't afford one.

----------

it's not that difficult to query your webserver to see how many unique devices are hitting a website to show downloads.

nor is it difficult to do the same for cydia, to see how many unique devices are connecting to cydia (which is just a web front end in case you didn't know)

simple.

Question: How do they know how many have installed it? Does it send other data to a server when you jailbreak? :eek:

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I never bother jailbreaking any of my iphones or ipads, got better things to do with my life than tweak irrelevant stuff on my phone/pad.

I do however jailbreak my ATV2's as that has a good purpose :cool:

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

*waste.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
...The majority of people owning iOS devices, 95+ percent, don't care for a jailbreak...

So, I'm guessing that you've been a Windows user all these years, and feel that Mac hasn't ever had much to offer? After all, 90%+ of computer users don't care about Macs...

I installed it on my iPod touch 4th gen. I don't see what the fuss is all about. The Cydia store is horrific to navigate, and is plastered with so many adverts it makes it just an ugly experience. Not to mention the, "scroll down to see screenshots" text right above the link for screenshots. It's just ugly. I haven't been tempted to install any of the stuff on there because I don't know what most of it does because the descriptions are written in severely broken English.

Just my opinion.

Overall, I agree with you, whole heartedly. I would guess that I'd install more from Cydia if the ability to find decent stuff was a bit more like the Aople App Store (or any number of other examples of better laid out interfaces). As it is, I only go to Cydia when there is something specific that I'm looking for that I've already found out about elsewhere. Personally, I jailbrake for one primary reason: iFile. With iFile I can pull documents from one app to another much more easily than the builtin iOS functionality allows for. Further, I can use my camera connector kit to allow me to copy files into SD cards easily, and by keeping a USB SD card reader with me, it functions as a portable flash drive when I need to hand a file to someone in person. In short, JBing closes one significant gap in the functionality of my iPad. It is for this reason that I didn't upgrade to iOS 6 until there was a JB available for it.

So, while JBing isn't for everyone, it does serve a purpose for some of us, and a very important purpose, at that...

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Fine, hack into your iPhone and have fun now but don't whine when in a couple of months it's useless and cannot be upgraded and can't even be sold on Ebay.

I think I'll go buy a new Jaguar and hack into the electronics and re-gear the transmission so I can whine about having voided the warranty. :p

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Fine, hack into your iPhone and have fun now but don't whine when in a couple of months it's useless and cannot be upgraded and can't even be sold on Ebay.

I think I'll go buy a new Jaguar and hack into the electronics and re-gear the transmission so I can whine about having voided the warranty. :p

Are you retarded? I ask because you have no idea what you're talking about.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I am interested in jailbreaking but truly understand the benefit of it. Could someone please explain to me the 5 or 10 things I could do that I cannot do today.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
this is a huge number and all apple fanboys blabering about "this is not a big number" should really just shut up and embrace the reality that people, if they get a chance and they know about it, will jailbreak their device for all the great features that it brings.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hello Mr.Hacker, here's access to my iPhone.

Seven Million people have just potentially given access to hackers of the devices where they keep all their personal information.

I'm not saying that hackers have access to these devices but purposefully breaking the security features of your iPhone and allowing a hacker to install root level controlling software on your phone is just irresponsible.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton

Too bad apptrackr shut down, so your argument is invalid

----------

Seven Million people have just potentially given access to hackers of the devices where they keep all their personal information.

I'm not saying that hackers have access to these devices but purposefully breaking the security features of your iPhone and allowing a hacker to install root level controlling software on your phone is just irresponsible.

Not really, just don't install SSH, and if you do, change the root password

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

How could someone afford an iPhone and not an Android phone? Many Android phones are given away for free (with contract)!

No, jailbreaking is for people who want the services and vast library of apps that iOS provides without the restrictions that Apple puts on it.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
More like the majority of owners don't even know what a jailbreak is or even exists.
That's true. I also remember just about two years ago how about 25% of all people who owned an iPhone had never connected it to iTunes to sync, let alone, backup.

There are still tons of people out there who buy a phone and have no idea that there are these options out there. It's the same with Android users as it is with iPhone users.

People buy a phone and move on with their lives, families and relationships. Ask them what a JB is and they won't have a clue.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Different peoke have different needs and it seems that a lot don't need/want a jailbreak, due to no interest in jailbreak-stuff or the problems that can get caused by a jailbreak (crashing weather app) and many other reasons.

But like you said, there's a whole range of different people - It's pretty hard to put numbers to anything.

My mum has had two iPhones, she doesn't have an apple ID and is aware of 'apps' but doesn't know how to get them and hasn't bothered looking - Is she a 1/1000000 exception or 1/10? She also asked for a iPod last christmas "so I can listen to music" :) She loves the phone and will buy another one when it breaks/the battery stops lasting.
My dad (separated, in another country) is a pretty much identical example, but he has an android phone and wouldn't want a portable music player.

Believe it or not, they're relatively computer literate. They have PCs that they use for emails, web browsing, shopping and my dad runs his business through his. I've always thought of them as relatively average users.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
So if you had more money and large teams of engineers you Couldnt get the job done faster? Plus from the time geohot first jailbreaked the iphone how long did it take for them to get their version of the app store up and running? on a shoestring budget. Was a fraction of the time you are saying. Im not saying apple didnt plan it before but you cant say is impossibly over complicated to be made in less than a year. saurik has proven my point. Remember apple was pushing hard for web apps at first. How did they work out?

Let me ask you this. Did the Cydia store have to prep SDKs for public consumption, get developer help documentation ready, get development tools tested to the point where they were fit for third party developers, etc?

That's the time-consuming part of what Apple had to do. The fact that it went as quickly as it did supports the idea that they were planning to do it at *least* since the initial iPhone release.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
For many people who don't jailbreak, it's not because they aren't aware it exists. It's just that they are not stupid enough to risk bricking their phone.

The thing about a jailbreak is that if you ever need service on your phone, Apple won't touch it unless they are allowed to do a DFU restore. Technicians are trained to notice the difference because quite often the jailbreak will allow a change in the iOS interface. A change in the interface is a dead give away that the phone has been tampered with unauthorized software. So, if your speaker suddenly stops working, or home button gets stuck, or any other hardware issue, be prepared to have Apple tell you that your phone is out of warranty due to tampering and they can't fix it. They may offer to restore to return it to factory settings, thus putting it back into warranty, but in some cases that might brick your phone.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
You think that there's only 50 million people who aren't aware of the jailbreak? I'd be much more surprised if there's 50 million people who own iOS devices who ARE aware of the jailbreak. Non-technical users (the vast, vast majority of iOS users) don't read tech news and don't jailbreak. For example, in my immediate family, there are 7 iOS devices and only one person (myself) is even aware of jailbreaking.

I seriously believe that a large majority of iOS users don't even know they are running something called iOS. Imagine if they knew they could put cutesy little themes and crap on their device. That 7 million number would be a great deal higher!

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
For many people who don't jailbreak, it's not because they aren't aware it exists. It's just that they are not stupid enough to risk bricking their phone.

The thing about a jailbreak is that if you ever need service on your phone, Apple won't touch it unless they are allowed to do a DFU restore. Technicians are trained to notice the difference because quite often the jailbreak will allow a change in the iOS interface. A change in the interface is a dead give away that the phone has been tampered with unauthorized software. So, if your speaker suddenly stops working, or home button gets stuck, or any other hardware issue, be prepared to have Apple tell you that your phone is out of warranty due to tampering and they can't fix it. They may offer to restore to return it to factory settings, thus putting it back into warranty, but in some cases that might brick your phone.

I'm afraid I couldn't resist... :(

I assume you've actually read some feedback on this forum and just generally from the millions and millions of jailbreaks that have been done over the years?
What confuses me is that you understand that wiping the device removes all traces of the jailbreak, but seem to be under the impression that there's a chance of bricking... There isn't, iPhones are restorable...

If you're not a fan of jailbreaking, don't do it. if you dont understand it gain anything from it, don't do it - just don't spread FUD :)

I seriously believe that a large majority of iOS users don't even know they are running something called iOS. Imagine if they knew they could put cutesy little themes and crap on their device. That 7 million number would be a great deal higher!

Yep :)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Let me ask you this. Did the Cydia store have to prep SDKs for public consumption, get developer help documentation ready, get development tools tested to the point where they were fit for third party developers, etc?

That's the time-consuming part of what Apple had to do. The fact that it went as quickly as it did supports the idea that they were planning to do it at *least* since the initial iPhone release.

To be honest i dont have a huge knowledge in the area, you may be right I just thought if cydia could do it, apple could do it easily with alot more money. Seems strange that they dont have an app store for the apple tv since the app store on the ipad/iphone generates a nice income. user control issues?

----------

Just my opinion.

Cydia isnt designed for the best ui nor is it easy for ppl that dont know much about jailbraking, but if you know some good repos and tweeks then it is very worthwile.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
To be honest i dont have a huge knowledge in the area, you may be right I just thought if cydia could do it, apple could do it easily with alot more money. Seems strange that they dont have an app store for the apple tv since the app store on the ipad/iphone generates a nice income. user control issues?

If by 'user control issues', you mean the physical control used to interact with it, that'd be my guess. The currently included remote is passable, but a bit *too* simple for anything more complex than navigation through the current interface. Definitely not suitable for arbitrary apps.

That said, I fully expect an :apple:TV app store at some point. I just have no idea *when*.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
If by 'user control issues', you mean the physical control used to interact with it, that'd be my guess. The currently included remote is passable, but a bit *too* simple for anything more complex than navigation through the current interface. Definitely not suitable for arbitrary apps.

That said, I fully expect an :apple:TV app store at some point. I just have no idea *when*.

Yeh, when playing games on the tv screen you still need to look at the ipad when using controls which kinda defeats the purpuse. So i wouldnt use it for that but still there are many different information orientated apps that i would download and buy today if i could.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Fix some intuitive gestures I WANT to use.

I am interested in jailbreaking but truly understand the benefit of it. Could someone please explain to me the 5 or 10 things I could do that I cannot do today.

With Zepher, I get one finger slide front bottom edge to get Task Switcher. Hate the double click on Home button!. Also Slide from left edge to switch apps and right edge to switch the other way. Makes the device more usable.
Apple do NOT do usability tests well. How CAN they MISS such a simple navigation gesture ?. Beyond me!.:eek:

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I find no use for jailbreak anymore. I'm content with iOS 6 and unless someone can list an app that a user would use on a day to day basis that's game changing from what Apple offers or doesn't offer, I can't see myself jailbreaking.

I always find jailbreaks to cause crashes and be slow. I had my 3G 3GS and i5 all jailbroken. Next day quickly removed.

For the most part I agree with you. I jailbroke my iPhone 4, but then one day, it stopped syncing with my music and it seemed the only solution was DFU and update to iOS 6. My phone goes a lot faster now than it did while jailbroken, but the one thing I really want from it is TetherMe back. My phone company only permits tethering on the iPhone 5, and they won't let me upgrade for a two-year contract (current visa is only valid for one more year) unless I pay it all in advance.

Now that I've found out about evasi0n, hopefully I can get my tethering capabilities back, and flip the bird to Softbank (don't want my money for tethering, you won't get it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.