Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
iPhone was an extension of something that's necessary (a phone) and now smartphones are a necessity for a lot.

A watch, however, is an accessory. I haven't worn one in years, always used my phone to get the time and never had a problem with it. And I'm sure there are many more who will agree with me.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Why would they create a watch when the phones and ipods they make have a clock on the very first screen? I use my phone as a 'watch'. What time is it? Just look at my phone.

bigdavecox90

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Looks amazing.

Would say it won't take off...as if you remember LG brought out a watch phone which was a flop.

However, it's Apple, it's bound to be popular! :D

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I think you guys are coming from the wrong angle - they could make the iWatch the new iPhone, always on you, same functionality but from a smaller package. With current battery tech and some kinetic charging it has potential to be impressive. Just talk into it Knight Rider style for calls... :)

bigdavecox90

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I think you guys are coming from the wrong angle - they could make the iWatch the new iPhone, always on you, same functionality but from a smaller package. With current battery tech and some kinetic charging it has potential to be impressive. Just talk into it Knight Rider style for calls... :)

I don't think it would be the 'new iPhone'

Apple are too clever for that. There's far more chance of income if they keep the iPhone going and release an iWatch also.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

I dont wear watches or jewellery of any kind nor do I like to. There are many people who are like me. Apple wont make the watch an iphone as it will not appeal to as many people. A watch will appeal to people that like wearing watches thats it.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I dont wear watches or jewellery of any kind nor do I like to. There are many people who are like me. Apple wont make the watch an iphone as it will not appeal to as many people. A watch will appeal to people that like wearing watches thats it.

True, but no-one really wanted an iPad either. Also if you didn't have to carry a phone around everywhere and risk dropping it/leaving it lying around somewhere the phone/watch might have potential. FWIW I don't wear a watch either but if it meant it did the job of my phone so I could stop using that it might be of interest.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
iPhone was an extension of something that's necessary (a phone) and now smartphones are a necessity for a lot.

A watch, however, is an accessory. I haven't worn one in years, always used my phone to get the time and never had a problem with it. And I'm sure there are many more who will agree with me.

Not saying this rumored I watch will or won't succeed but I can't write it off not knowing whether or not it do something special. We all know the basics of a watch and the basics of these new smart watches, but if Apple can make their watch do something special......

-act as a bridge to your iPhone(text, email, find phone,
-act as a remote to your Apple TV
-the ultimate gym iPod with Bluetooth headphones
-voice recorder
-speaker phone when your phone is across the house while cleaning.
-calculator
-NFC

FB messenger(with new voice service), Voxer, heytell, etc would be pretty awesome in a watch

Of course this would have to be a pretty big watch to fit all of that but hey....doesn't hurt to dream.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I find it funny that people who don't wear watches and don't like watches think the majority of others also feel the same...I promise you watches will be around a lot longer than smartphones will be. and everywhere I look I always see people of all status levels with a watch on their wrist. can my rolex oyster date do what my smartphone can do? no but their are times when pulling out a phone to see the time is inappropriate....so watches will endure and any watch that apple creates will be a success, despite what the naysayers think

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I'm not trying to be a jerk here so please don't mistake the tone:

Do you really think that if Apple is going to launch a watch (meaning as a flagship, not the ones you could buy as a souvenir) it's NOT going to reimagine the entire concept of a watch?

This will be a life tracker, I've been following apples patents on self monitoring for a few years now, theres some really powerful stuff going on if it makes it into this supposed product it will be Apple's SIXTH industry redefining product.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Not saying this rumored I watch will or won't succeed but I can't write it off not knowing whether or not it do something special. We all know the basics of a watch and the basics of these new smart watches, but if Apple can make their watch do something special......

-act as a bridge to your iPhone(text, email, find phone,
-act as a remote to your Apple TV
-the ultimate gym iPod with Bluetooth headphones
-voice recorder
-speaker phone when your phone is across the house while cleaning.
-calculator
-NFC

FB messenger(with new voice service), Voxer, heytell, etc would be pretty awesome in a watch

Of course this would have to be a pretty big watch to fit all of that but hey....doesn't hurt to dream.

This!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If the Pebble is any indication of market demand then an Apple produced iWatch would sell like crazy.

Until the novelty wears off.

Obviously no serious inputs can be had to this tiny device nor do anybody believe SIRI improved exponentially overnight. I dunno, never bought a Nano ever neither.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Obviously no serious inputs can be had to this tiny device nor do anybody believe SIRI improved exponentially overnight. I dunno, never bought a Nano ever neither.
Bluetooth 4.0 not good enough for you? :confused:

And siri has been improving internally at apple for months, just wait for the next release at WWDC.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

novelty/gimmick

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I don't think it'll be an iPhone replacement, more of a middleman device between you and the iPhone. For example, if the iPhone is in your pocket and you're doing something then get some kind of notification it would display on the watch so you don't have to take your phone out if it's not something important.

That said, I don't like the pebble watch at all and if Apple's is anything like that then I doubt I would purchase it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.