Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
As far as I can tell, there's very little you can do with a jailbroken iPad. Anyone have any interesting tweaks and themes?

Also anything good for free? I want to try some free apps before deciding on paying $ on hacked apps...

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm coming to the same realization. There are a few themes, and a couple nice tweaks, but really, I'd be fine without a JB on my iPad. Mainly because the native gestures work wonderfully, there's already plenty of room for icons and dock space, and the theming is limited. I have a nice theme installed, and NC Settings, but even that isn't as necessary with the double paned settings on the iPad...you're not diving in and out of menus like you are on an iPhone. I'll keep it jailbroken for a while, but I won't have a problem wiping the jailbreak if newer iOS versions offer compelling reason. But my iPhone I won't be losing the jailbreak at all unless I'm upgrading phones.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Depends on what you want to do with it. I use mywi for on-demand tethering with my iPhone. I also have a few emulators loaded on it and intellescreenX. Other than that i don't have a need for most of the other tweaks and hacks available right now. I would like color keyboard to work, but it hasn't been updated yet. I don't really need a custom theme for it. For my use i only need a couple of tweaks, but you are free to use it however you please.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
XBMC + XBMCHubWizard = Epic sauce! You get all tv shows, movies, channels and more for free.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Just about everything I try is incompatible, which is a shame. Wouldn't mind there being a thread for iPad users to share tweaks they have found to be compatible, since this forum is 99% iPhone stuff.

Would like to see better multi tasking options, status bar icons, home page widgets, etc etc.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As far as I can tell, there's very little you can do with a jailbroken iPad. Anyone have any interesting tweaks and themes?

Also anything good for free? I want to try some free apps before deciding on paying $ on hacked apps...

I use F.lux and Emblem. The former is free, the latter is $2(although, what can you even buy for $2 anymore). I've also got Springtomize2 and DashboardX that I've been playing around with. They're both a couple bucks each.

I also use my iPad as a kind of test bed for jailbreak hacks or tweaks that I'm not sure are stable. I'd rather not take out my iPhone for a few hours because I installed an incompatible hack or tweak, so I test them on the iPad.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
What is XBMC I tried to look it up on cydia and couldn't find it. I found XBMCHubWizard.

You have to install the XBMC source to find it, here is the step by step.

Yes XBMC is excellent!! I torrented shameless hd mkv using itransmission 3, and then watched it on ipad mini using XBMC, not to mention how awesome icefilms is and the fact I can access my external HD without having a computer running! That alone makes having the Ipad Jailbroken!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I say people should post the tweaks they have installed, or have confirmed working (and for anyone who's ignorant of a specific one, maybe quick info on each?)

- AdBlocker - Self explanatory
- Browser Changer - Self explanatory, but I don't use it currently
- Folder Enhancer - Modifications to folders, pages inside folders, folders in folders, etc
- Full Force - make iPhone/iPod apps full screen. Use this with Google Maps, pretty decent, other than the keyboard
- MyWi - Use your phone to tether, I use OnDemand, works well
- Nitrous - Fast rendering on all browsers
- RetinaPad - Use iPhone apps in high resolution mode
- SBSettings - Quick access to system settings
- SplitMail - Mail pane in both vertical and horizontal positions

---

What I'd like: AppSwitcher customization, maybe I'll try Zephyr. Calendar widget, to see upcoming events in Notification Center.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
You have to install the XBMC source to find it, here is the step by step.

Yes XBMC is excellent!! I torrented shameless hd mkv using itransmission 3, and then watched it on ipad mini using XBMC, not to mention how awesome icefilms is and the fact I can access my external HD without having a computer running! That alone makes having the Ipad Jailbroken!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_iPad/iPhone/iPod_touch

Looks like the source is down...I added the source and got told it was a bad URL.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Just about everything I try is incompatible, which is a shame. Wouldn't mind there being a thread for iPad users to share tweaks they have found to be compatible, since this forum is 99% iPhone stuff.

Would like to see better multi tasking options, status bar icons, home page widgets, etc etc.

Feel free to use this a thread if there's an audience :)

----------

I'm coming to the same realization. There are a few themes, and a couple nice tweaks, but really, I'd be fine without a JB on my iPad. Mainly because the native gestures work wonderfully, there's already plenty of room for icons and dock space, and the theming is limited. I have a nice theme installed, and NC Settings, but even that isn't as necessary with the double paned settings on the iPad...you're not diving in and out of menus like you are on an iPhone. I'll keep it jailbroken for a while, but I won't have a problem wiping the jailbreak if newer iOS versions offer compelling reason. But my iPhone I won't be losing the jailbreak at all unless I'm upgrading phones.

I went ahead and restored my iPad to native iOS. There really wasn't any point to it.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
i agree its not as important to me compared to my iphone. but location spoofer is one of the most important for me as i use it for the NBA gametime app to get my basketball fix (no cable)

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
I'm not a pro jailbreaker or anything, but I've loved my previous jailbreak for things like ProTube. I do a lot of different types of creative projects and it's nice to download the vids to my iPad and save them in my library for offline use.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
What is XBMC I tried to look it up on cydia and couldn't find it. I found XBMCHubWizard.
Here is the official repo:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/
You would need to install XBMC first then the wizard. XBMC lets you watch all kinds of stuff on many devices, the wizard is an addon that puts all the best sources for tvshows and movies w/out you having to do the hard work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.