Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"noise came back on. i am taking it to genius bar as planned."

Dr. John's "Surefire Fix" to solve your problems…

Just buy a nice power strip or surge suppressor and plug the Mac and related peripherals into it (as I do).

When you shut down, just reach down and turn the power strip OFF.

When you want to reboot, reach down and turn the power strip ON.

Do this, and I _guarantee_ that you will NEVER be bothered by such problems again!

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
If it's time-dependent, it may well be something
Hmm... I'd just wait till it does it again and note the time it happens during the day, to see if it's anything to do with that...

so it passed all of the apple diagnostics, but noise is very much there. i did notice that it does happen in the evenings everyday. regardless of what is plugged in...what could that mean?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
It could be "coil whine", magnetic vibration of a loose or poorly potted coil, transformer, etc. in the power supply which may be temperature sensitive (cooler in evening?). I'm sure that would pass their diagnostics as long as the voltages were within tolerance.

Or perhaps your hearing is better in the evening? :D

Did the Apple techs actually hear what you are hearing? I don't hear anything from mine, but my high frequency hearing isn't all that good anymore. :rolleyes:

If you are still within the return period, that might be an option. Then just buy another one, although they may be hard to get right now.

======

I would imagine the power supply is still "on" even when off as it has to power the "wake on LAN", "wake on Bluetooth", monitor the power switch, etc.

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
It could be "coil whine", magnetic vibration of a loose or poorly potted coil, transformer, etc. in the power supply which may be temperature sensitive (cooler in evening?). I'm sure that would pass their diagnostics as long as the voltages were within tolerance.

it for sure buzzes after 5pm...i have been keeping track for about a week now. but i still dont understand what is happening...could it be a bad power cord? and would a line conditioner solve the problem, if my outlet was the culprit?

PavelT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
If it's time-dependent, it may well be something to do with the power in your house. But obviously I can't prove it. That is very bizarre....

Hmm... I'd just wait till it does it again and note the time it happens during the day, to see if it's anything to do with that...

so i bought a APC voltage regulator, and plugged in my imac. and...the buzzing continues...:mad:

a recording of the electrical noise:
https://soundcloud.com/pavl-1/2012-imac-electrical-noise

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
so i bought a APC voltage regulator, and plugged in my imac. and...the buzzing continues...:mad:

a recording of the electrical noise:
https://soundcloud.com/pavl-1/2012-imac-electrical-noise

Wow, sounds just like a barking dog. Seriously, it's just the sound of the power inverter for the +5 volt standby power. If it bothers you, switch off the APC power switch. If you bought an APC UPS, I hope it's a full sinewave unit, such as the SmartUPS. The Back-UPS XS and RS units provide a stepped square wave on battery power, which could stress components in your iMac's power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.