Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Isn't that what a CEO of company is supposed to do?

There is no company or investors thereof without customers.

----------

Occupista kids who have no idea how businees works and make ridiculous statements like this shouldn't be commenting on articles dealing with these subjects.

"Occupista" kids? What the heck is that?

Anyone who doesn't agree with Wall Street views is a commie now? Or are you one of those who believe, like Lloyd Blankfein, that GS and others are doing the "work of God"?

Spare us from such McCarthyist nonsense, please.

----------

Those times are dead.

Indeed they are.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
Occupista kids who have no idea how businees works and make ridiculous statements like this shouldn't be commenting on articles dealing with these subjects.

Your username makes this doubly hilarious.

But seriously, **** Goldman. It's a testament to how deeply these scumbags have infiltrated government that they have avoided jail.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
AAPL stock is up $30 in 2 days. If Cook doesn't make any major announcements, I see traders selling on disappointment.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Goldman Sachs? Goldman and Sachs? The very big name representatives of what is worst in this world nowadays?

Pass.

Just another evidence of Cook pandering to investors before users.

But legally his fiduciary duties are to shareholders, not customers. He'd be negligent if he put customers ahead of shareholders. Basic statutory law.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Do you remember the times when Apple keynotes where all about new products and services and not about how much money they were raking in?

Those were good times. I miss those times.

A Goldman Sachs conference is not a keynote. When's the last keynote where Cook or anyone else focused on Apple's profits? :confused:

----------

While he is on the East coast he is also going to sit with Mrs. Obama during the SOTU address.

Rocketman

I believe this event is on the west coast. Assuming SOTU is the reason his speaking slot was moved from afternoon to morning.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This is a terrific opportunity for Tim to connect with the financial community in a meaningful way. The exact type of exposure Apple needs, he's precisely the kind of skilled, highly intelligent executive they can identify with. No matter what the outcome, in terms of the markets reaction, this bodes very well for Apple.

Only a portion of Apple's stock performance in recent months can be directly attributed to Apple. History reveals that during every presidential election cycle, the market turns rather tumultuous. It's history repeating itself.

If he has ample time at his disposal, they will hear a very clear & concise explanation from Apples perspective. If he is so inclined and willing to be candid as appropriate, those who listen carefully will come away with a good feeling about how he's guiding Apple. Whether they agree or disagree is of less importance than hearing the truth from Apple's CEO. As a long time serious investor in Apple Inc. I look forward to this event.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It could also have no effect on stock prices, and things stay as they are now.

Between your post and mine, we've just predicted the future.

Well in Tim Cooks mind he obviously doesn't see it going down more than average. He is doing this conference in the middle of the trading session.

If he says anything that could be perceived as negative by the wall street vultures the stock could go way down.

Then again if he has anything to say that can be perceived as positive it could give the stock a nice uptick.

So I say the stock goes up tomorrow.

:)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Should I bring a pillow? I find his monotonous tone, expressionless face and lack of charisma a complete bore. Sure he might have the brains, but for the love of god please get someone else to do his public speaking!

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Should I bring a pillow? I find his monotonous tone, expressionless face and lack of charisma a complete bore. Sure he might have the brains, but for the love of god please get someone else to do his public speaking!

So this is more your style of CEO?

----------

It will go up or down.

Or it will stay exactly the same. All other options should be met with criticism.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Do you remember the times when Apple keynotes where all about new products and services and not about how much money they were raking in?

Those were good times. I miss those times.

I don't recall that. But the good times were before Apple's iPhone. Yeah, it's a great device, but it's ruined society. Most of the population has been constantly looking down at their iPhone or Android phone ever since the iPhone came out.

----------

There is no company or investors thereof without customers.

That doesn't mean much. There is no company or customers thereof without investors.

----------

AAPL stock is up $30 in 2 days. If Cook doesn't make any major announcements, I see traders selling on disappointment.

Actually, it's up because it got oversold earlier. It's like those European debt crises. The market lost far more market cap - temporarily - than the amount that the European countries were in debt a couple of times.

The difference between those who call the investors evil cowards and those who call them stupid is that the ones who take advantage of this call them stupid, not evil. Anything about investors on MR invites a bunch of butthurt comments from those who didn't sell at $700 and BS about how the banks are stealing our money by trading stock.

----------

You don't know how Apple works. Catering to the customers IS catering to the investors in the long run. These meetings are just helping day-traders like me, and I wouldn't day-trade if Apple didn't do this.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
It's Like Henry Ford said

Not about Jews, of course, but about finance capital. They want to run successful companies as their piggy-bank. So Finance Capital was against the big investments. After WWI, when it was time for a retooling of the Model T, Ford needed some money to put in lines for the Model A. He forced each dealership to contribute more. He was drawn to do that because the Big Money wanted to run the company, and to be entitled to a huge part of it, because they put some money into Ford. So? In Henry's mind, just because you made money speculating on the market didn't mean you could run the company.

It seems to me perfectly true that some big money has gone after Apple, not for any other reason but that they want some (a lot) of Apple's cash, for the same reason that they want our social security; because stupid people let "shareholders" run companies in an awful parody of self-government.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
As CEO of a publicly traded company he is not likely to make any disclosures that would constitute news. He is likely to help clarify the thinking of analysts in his view or opinion of the facts already presented. Spin if you will, but spin toward the centerline of fact and experience as viewed by the public already.

His pilgrimage to G-S is an expectation but has no either positive or negative implication on either the business or the stock.

AAPL price has settled back to the 5-6 year long price channel it broke out of a couple of years ago. Slow and steady wins the race from this point forward. AAPL as a stock is now a safety play. IMHO of course. YMMV.

As for the comments about G-S and its tactics, it's not just an investment bank, it's OUR investment bank. You definitely want them on the side of your country when bad stuff is happening. Bad stuff the government caused but G-S simply traded on and profited from. Yes they have their hands in everything, especially in the smoke filled rooms.

Rocketman

Bad stuff the government caused? REALLY? Have you been hiding under a rock the last 5 years? It's common knowledge that banks like GS own OUR governmental lock stock and barrel and write the bills for congress to pass in their favor regardless of how it affects the rest of the world. Too big to fail is incorrect more like OUR congress is too scared to lose the personal payouts by prosecuting.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
It will go up or down.

It could also have no effect on stock prices, and things stay as they are now.

Between your post and mine, we've just predicted the future.

While we are doing a bang up job of predicting the future,
I will predict that 2013 will be Tim Cook's last full year as CEO of Apple Inc.
His replacement will be a knight in shining armor, Ive gone on record as saying.
Magic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.