Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if Apple won't bother to patch the JB exploit right away. It can only be done via a trusted connected computer, with the phone unlocked with no passcode. Thus, it's somethingonly the owner of the device can do.

So it may not be a high priority for them. Hell, they can build some awesome goodwill with the modding community by neglecting to fix this for a few version cycles.

Somehow I doubt it though.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I wonder if Apple won't bother to patch the JB exploit right away. It can only be done via a trusted connected computer, with the phone unlocked with no passcode. Thus, it's somethingonly the owner of the device can do.

So it may not be a high priority for them. Hell, they can build some awesome goodwill with the modding community by neglecting to fix this for a few version cycles.

if I recall, iOS 5 had a similar exploit requiring hardwire usb connection. I dont remember is the passcode had to be disabled, but I think it's safe to say apple will patch the hole. However, I really wish they wouldn't.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
how often does Apple release software updates for a specific iPhone model? Usually they encompass the whole family of iPhones

This was an emergency release because of the 3G issues and certain carriers advising users *not* to install the 6.1 update. That's bad publicity for Apple, so they needed to fix the problem stat.

----------

Good now fix the 5 issues. I shouldn't keep dropping signal when I'm at 4-5 bars then drop to E then nothing and do it all over again.

You're holding it wrong.

----------

I remember when 640kb would run an OS (DOS) including Lotus 123 & Word Perfect.

I guess gone are the days of tight code.

Yes, but the world has changed. What used to take months or even years to be released to the public now takes days or weeks... something has to give. As a programmer myself, I slave over my code to make sure it's as lean and mean as possible.

Throwing faster hardware at code is one solution, but it's a slippery slope, as you're observing... programmers are getting lazier and lazier because they have access to increasing fast machines.

One thing that is overlooked with the apparent performance of computers is their increasing network connnectivity. That has a huge impact on the perceived speed of a computer. I'm running a 6-year old MacBook Pro with 10.8.1 installed. While most days it performs fine, some days it slows to a crawl because of all of the under-the-hood network connections it's establishing to the outside world just to function. Software update checks, cloud syncing, email checking... and all of this needs to happen simultaneously for us to be happy.

Lean, mean and intuitive programming would still be the best solution for this problem, and I hope companies never forget that.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I was expecting at least a release number change for the iPhone 5, eg. 6.1.1 with an update size of 0.01KB

----------

Hey Apple, there're a lot of bugs in 10.8.2 too :D

There's 10 or 11 betas of 10.8.3 - i'm sure it'll be released after beta 19

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Can anyone lend me on the joke "Safari seems snappier"?

Whenever a new release/update of iOS became available, someone would post that "Safari seems snappier".

It has become a repeated meme, or a running joke -- your choice. There's usually a race to see who can post it in a reply to the MacRumors article announcing the release.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

I'd say 6.2 will break it. However all 6.1.x cycles should be safe

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
I'm hoping that the holes have been closed and the iOS 6 jailbreak is now disabled.

Why would you hope for that? Do you not believe in choice? You believe if you buy a T-Shirt the shop should have the right to say 'You may only wear this on Thursdays'?

balbrt1

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
new udate 6.1.1

Has anyone downloaded it yet. If you have is there any problems yet? I have the 4S and never had any problems with the 6.1 Battery is fine and I connect to 3G (even though it says 4G) connect problems. I use the Microcell for better signal.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Has anyone downloaded it yet. If you have is there any problems yet? I have the 4S and never had any problems with the 6.1 Battery is fine and I connect to 3G (even though it says 4G) connect problems. I use the Microcell for better signal.

I downloaded it and it seems to be working just fine for me.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
i always have full bars but afther the 6.1 updates occasionaly my texts gave me errors for no reason. sometimes i would need to resend it 3 times before it worked. hope this helps

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Full signal bars again at home whereas last week struggling to get 2 bars.

What carrier? Starting to see a few reports of no service or user having no signal at all just after the update. Myself no issue on Verizion. Speedtest over 3G was better than ever gotten. Of course a single test does not tell a lot but looking back and all previous tests the one after 6.1.1 has the best numbers yet. For what little thats worth. At least it didn't get worse :)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Whenever a new release/update of iOS became available, someone would post that "Safari seems snappier".

It has become a repeated meme, or a running joke -- your choice. There's usually a race to see who can post it in a reply to the MacRumors article announcing the release.

That joke predates iOS for quite a number of years. When Safari for the Mac was released in January 2003 it was not the fastest browser and OS X in general was still somewhat sluggish.

Which means that it might be celebrating its 10th anniversary soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.