Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
And this is what I see:

What item(s) does your DXM04B0Q disc contain? Mine only has "BTDSK.IMG". If I burn "BTDSK.IMG" instead, I see the FreeDOS items on the CD, but it won't show up in Startup Disk or with option key at boot.

The disk only has the BTDSK.IMG file

Just out of curiosity did you burn a CD or DVD.

I couldn't get a CD to work but put it down to faulty media. I burnt a DVD and hey presto.

Last edited:

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Just out of curiosity did you burn a CD or DVD.

I couldn't get a CD to work but put it down to faulty media. I burnt a DVD and hey presto.

DVD worked! I tried CD and CD-RW before, thinking, hey, it all fits so it shouldn't matter. I used to boot Macs off CD in days gone by.

Thanks for working with me to solve this, Swiss-G.

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
This is what I see in Startup Disk once the disk has been burnt.

I selected the DVD image and the MBP booted to FreeDOS and installed the updated firmware.

This is what I see. I burnt two DVD disks (just in case the first one was faulty), and I can't see the DVD disc in Startup Disk at all. I burnt the image through the built-in OS X burn utility (or whatever it's called), not Toast or similar.

Any ideas???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 9.38.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 9.38.56 AM.png
    87 KB · Views: 133

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
This is what I see. I burnt two DVD disks (just in case the first one was faulty), and I can't see the DVD disc in Startup Disk at all. I burnt the image through the built-in OS X burn utility (or whatever it's called), not Toast or similar.

Any ideas???

I used Disk Utility to burn the disk.

Once complete the DVD should contain a single file named BTDSK.IMG

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
I am trying to find out how many P/E cycles my 840 Pro has performed.

I found utility (smartctl) that displays a count of the total LBAs that have been written, the drive capacity (in bytes), and the logical/physical sector size (in bytes).

Does anybody know, is the below the correct formula for calculating P/E cycle count?

• number of pages (X) = capacity in bytes/sector size
  • P/E cycles = LBAs written/X

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I used Disk Utility to burn the disk.

Once complete the DVD should contain a single file named BTDSK.IMG

Well, I tried it your way, and this is what happened: the DVD disc appeared identical to the one I burned previously (it showed a single file: BTDSK.IMG). But this time, when I inserted it into the drive and went to Startup Disk, it showed up!

The problem now is that when I tried booting off of it, I got the following message (I tried this twice): "No bootable device found – please insert a bootable disk and press any key". Of course, when I press any of the keys on my keyboard, nothing works. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if the problem is the DVD media (maybe another brand would work?), or whether I'm just not meant to upgrade the firmware on my SSD. ;) Luckily for me, I'm happy with the performance of the drive as it is right now. But who knows, maybe I'm missing out on something!

Thanks for all your help with this BTW, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without your help. :)

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
The problem now is that when I tried booting off of it, I got the following message (I tried this twice): "No bootable device found – please insert a bootable disk and press any key".

Restart and try holding down the Option key as the startup chime sounds, until you get to a boot picker window.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I have an 840 Pro - Any one upgraded the firmware on Filevault encrypted drive? I've got Win7 on a an optibay drive that I can upgrade it from.

Google turned up nothing in this scenario. Thanks!

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
I have an 840 Pro - Any one upgraded the firmware on Filevault encrypted drive? I've got Win7 on a an optibay drive that I can upgrade it from.

I can't answer yes to your question, but I wonder, how is battery life in your dual drive setup? I have an optibay kit I never put in because I thought it would be too detrimental to battery runtimes.

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I have your same problem and I can't figure out why.

I'm a bit new to Mac but I do have a CS degree and I'm a systems engineer for work. I've tried different DVDs, burned it on a PC, etc... no go.:mad:

And now I have to buy more DVDs. :mad:

I'm not a Mac newbie and it's got me stumped! I'm not really motivated to start buying other brands of optical media just to see if that is the problem. The SSD works fine and near maximum rated speeds as is, so I don't really see the point. I would like to be able to update the firmware, but at this point I'm probably better-off waiting until Samsung get their act together and release a better Mac program for their drives.

tvhaugen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
There is no need to install windows in bootcamp to upgrade the firmware.

Download the correct ISO from Samsung's website and burn the image to DVD. Edit: Note a CD will not work!!!

Select the DVD in Startup Disk in preferences and restart the MBP. The upgrade process starts automatically and requires a few key presses to confirm you want to upgrade the firmware.

The firmware ISO are available here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Scroll down until you find Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Mac Users.

Thanks! This method worked perfectly!

Based on previous post I was under the impression that Samsung drives could not have the firmware updated without a Windows machine. I am happy to see this is not the case.

Gianmarco

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
There is no need to install windows in bootcamp to upgrade the firmware.

Download the correct ISO from Samsung's website and burn the image to DVD. Edit: Note a CD will not work!!!

Select the DVD in Startup Disk in preferences and restart the MBP. The upgrade process starts automatically and requires a few key presses to confirm you want to upgrade the firmware.

The firmware ISO are available here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Scroll down until you find Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Mac Users.

Just to confirm based on the more recent post: This works, correct?

Gianmarco

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Just ordered my 840 pro! Here's to hopinh the firmware is up to date!

PS: When was the last firmware update? That should be a good indication.

tvhaugen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Just ordered my 840 pro! Here's to hopinh the firmware is up to date!

PS: When was the last firmware update? That should be a good indication.

The new one I ordered last week did not have the firmware updated, but the updating process on mac OSX with a DVD is simple. Just follow the instructions in this thread and on the Samsung website.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I e-mailed Samsung support to see why their 840 non-Pro isn't bootable and this is their response.

So I downloaded the Samsung Magician on my Windows box and upgrade firmware is grayed out because I don't have a Samsung SSD in it.

Grrr, at this, I might as well just slave my Samsung SSD on my Windows box to upgrade my firmware. Samsung makes some great TVs, hardware, semiconductors, etc... but their entire software/firmware division just blows.

FWIW its possible to create a bootable USB using the magician software in despite it not being able to see the SSD. The MBP booted from the USB image but then FreeDOS produced an error code.

In short the only way I was able to update the firmware was via a bootable DVD.

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
I thought I'd share with you the story of my "interim" upgrade. :)

Today I brought home a 250GB Samsung 840 SSD and installed it in my mid-2012 non-Retina Macbook Pro 13" (2.9Ghz i7 with 16 GB RAM). The reason that I consider this upgrade temporary is because what I really wanted for the MBP was the 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Unfortunately none of the local shops had one in stock. Since I also have a 2008 iMac, I just bought the SSD that I was going to eventually get for that machine anyway. I just got it earlier than planned, and I will use it in my MBP until my 512GB 840 Pro arrives. :D

The Samsung 840 Pro arrived sooner than expected (and with latest firmware already installed), and my mid-2012 MBP now shows disk speeds like this :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    879.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.