Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Apple should retire the 16gb model and make the 32gb $499 and so on.

Agree, but you KNOW as soon as they do it, people will want $100 refunds if they bought the 32GB at the old prices, or that they should get free 16GB to 32GB upgrades. Then they will bad mouth the evil profit making company, blah blah blah

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
With how much flash memory has dropped in price since the iPad came out in 2010, I just find it hilarious that the fanatics are actually cheering for this overpriced "innovation"

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
And that's why Apple is a $100B company and you're just sitting to your computer deciding on how they should run their business. ;)

Seriously though, Apple knows their customers will pay these prices and if you ran Apple's business with clientele that tend to have deeper pockets you'd do the same thing. Don't lie.

Oh sorry did I offend you? That probably was TOO MUCH for you to take in.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
You are trying to justify the cost of a 128GB iPad. Which you cannot do, the simple fact is the new 128GB iPad is not that far off the cost of a MacBook Air, it doesn't matter what 'value' you put on the device for it's purpose, what matters is the monetary value that a device with half the capabilities of a laptop, now costs very close to the price of that laptop.
And this is an Apple laptop, not a Windows one which for the same price of the 128GB iPad you can get a VERY nice Windows laptop instead.

This is a discussion if you like of how dangerous Apple are getting with the narrowing, or indeed the obliteration, of the gap between tablet computers and full blown computers it makes itself. And it's not doing it by reducing costs!

Dude, clearly there's no convincing you.

But which part of "you cannot use a laptop the same way as a tablet" did you not understand? Just because you could get an Air for the same price does not mean that the Air will be as useful for me in the field. A 128GB iPad would. I cannot bust out an Air in the mountains of Afghanistan to look up weather patters or direct combat aircraft to target enemy assets as easy as I could with an iPad. They are not the same thing. Get over it. I'd rather use the extra pounds and space I'm saving for ammo and supplies. Every ounce counts when you're humping out there.

That the iPad is expensive, well, it is. But I'd still buy it over an Air, price being the same, for purposes like the one I mention.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Oh sorry did I offend you? That probably was TOO MUCH for you to take in.

You're response was unnecessary and please get over yourself, you didn't offend me. You're powerless. I was setting you straight because you think you know how a big company should run their business better than they do. :p

Wingsnbeer

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
The cloud will improve.

Maybe even sooner. Especially with new video technologies, like 4K, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10TB cell phones by 2020.

I'm sure it will be technically feasible so I wouldn't be surprised either, but I think the trend will be quite the opposite.

Networks will continue to improve. The "cloud" will be ubiquitous and bandwidth will improve. Devices will only need enough memory to cache frequently used data from the cloud.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm sure it will be technically feasible so I wouldn't be surprised either, but I think the trend will be quite the opposite.

Networks will continue to improve. The "cloud" will be ubiquitous and bandwidth will improve. Devices will only need enough memory to cache frequently used data from the cloud.

Only if data plans start becoming unlimited. "Cloud" storage is great and all, but if I didn't have an unlimited plan I would want all my music locally so I'm not wasting limited data every minute I listen to music. Even with unlimited data, I still need space to keep a decent library for roadtrips where service isn't smooth the whole way.

For me at least, REAL nationwide LTE and unlimited data would be both essential before I'd consider dropping below a 32gb model.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
As I have said before..since Apple released the 64GB capacity in 2009...
music has gone 256kbps DRM free
videos have gone high definition
apps have gone high definition with the retina screen
flash prices have crashed

...yet apple is putting the same capacities still at the same price as it was in 2009 (iPod Touch specifically). Now they add a 128GB model that costs even MORE than the 64GB model instead of dropping them down one?
16GB = DISCONTINUED
32GB = 16GB price point
64GB = 32GB price point
128GB = 64GB price point

What happened to the Apple that was the capacity leader while still being affordable? Apple seems to have gotten quite arrogant over the last few years. Lightning Connector (cornering the market), same price points year after year, removal of competitors maps app in favor of their own half attempt maps app, etc.

128GB capacities for the iOS-line are two years overdue but Apple wants to milk the cow.

I'm not an Apple hater either before someone calls me out on it but I'm not a fan of theirs at the current time because I believe the company can do better and would do better if they were underdogs. When Apple is on top they tend slum it, no price drops, no capacity updates, rip off tactics (lighting adapter), etc.

Right now if I were to buy a product in the market it would definitely be on the android side, Google Play is improving EVERYDAY, Google has heard of a file system, many android tablets support external memory (something that is GREAT for home to work xfers where cloud isn't allowed).

I agree with mostly everything, except the lightning connector motive (I just couldn't prove that is actually the reason), and buying Android instead. I see Android as a great alternative, no question, but for me the key issue is hardware and integration.

I feel Apple makes some of, if not the best hardware out there, especially where the MBPs are concerned. In addition, I refuse to use anything other than OSX for my personal computing (I use Windows & Linux when I have to).

So for me Android integration with my Apple hardware becomes somewhat of a workaround, where an all-Apple ecosystem gives me fire-and-forget simplicity.

That said, their pricing structure could definitely use some adjustment. Has Apple become arrogant as a company? Couldn't say for sure, maybe. But pricing...isn't this an old argument?

Apple has always been comparatively expensive (which sucks, I know). It's always give and take (feature-wise) with them. They give us a feature we want, then take one away. I've yet to have the "perfect" Apple device. In this case, they're giving us a much wanted feature (more storage) and taking away a key feature (affordability-our money).

Damn them for making things that I just don't want to live without!! Damn, Damn, DAAYUM!!! :D

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Can anyone say overkill? This is the same amount of memory as the MacBook Air. And that thing's a real computer.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Dude, clearly there's no convincing you.

But which part of "you cannot use a laptop the same way as a tablet" did you not understand? Just because you could get an Air for the same price does not mean that the Air will be as useful for me in the field. A 128GB iPad would. I cannot bust out an Air in the mountains of Afghanistan to look up weather patters or direct combat aircraft to target enemy assets as easy as I could with an iPad. They are not the same thing. Get over it. I'd rather use the extra pounds and space I'm saving for ammo and supplies. Every ounce counts when you're humping out there.

That the iPad is expensive, well, it is. But I'd still buy it over an Air, price being the same, for purposes like the one I mention.

Eh? I can totally understand a Laptop is not a tablet, just like I understand their should be a significant price difference between the two due to the vast performance difference and some functionality difference.

And why the hell would you be using an iPad you brought if you are in the military? Doesn't the military have something a bit more.... advanced and robust then an iPad? You know putting those tax payers dollars to good use?

You seemed to have made a rather odd point, it makes sense yes, just seems an odd way to make it? I'm not denying you aren't in the military and go romping around the mountains of Afghanistan chasing the Taliban and insurgence, but it's cool if you use an iPad to guide bombers in!

My point is about the pricing, yes a tablet computer, hell an iPad Mini, is better in some military personals back pack then a laptop, I'm not arguing that, I am just arguing about the silly price, Apple should really have scrapped the 16GB and lowered all pricing of the other models with the 128 replacing the 64 price ao it would be 32, 64, 128.

But hell if you use an iPad in a war zone and it survives, kudos to the iPad I say!! ;)

Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
At that price, it compares very badly with a microsoft surface pro, which is a fully functional computer and a tablet all in one.

Wow. Amazing how desperate the Microsoft shills have gotten over the last decade.
Isn't it?

If you want to see a bad comparison, let's talk on February 9, 2014.
Exactly 1 year after the release of the Surface Pro. I'm looking forward to that date.
We (along with tech bloggers worldwide) will compare Surface Pro sales numbers with 128 GB iPad numbers.
There won't be anywhere to hide. The Microsoft apologists will be forced to face the painful truth.

I expect that Surface Pro will sell in "moderate" numbers like Surface RT.
Maybe not even enough to have its own slice of the iPad-clone pie chart.
It might even fall into the "Other" category, like Surface RT did.
Or, on the other hand, it may bring up the rear just above "Other."
Either way, I expect it to be an unsustainable business for Microsoft.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Eh? I can totally understand a Laptop is not a tablet, just like I understand their should be a significant price difference between the two due to the vast performance difference and some functionality difference.

And why the hell would you be using an iPad you brought if you are in the military? Doesn't the military have something a bit more.... advanced and robust then an iPad? You know putting those tax payers dollars to good use?

You seemed to have made a rather odd point, it makes sense yes, just seems an odd way to make it? I'm not denying you aren't in the military and go romping around the mountains of Afghanistan chasing the Taliban and insurgence, but it's cool if you use an iPad to guide bombers in!

My point is about the pricing, yes a tablet computer, hell an iPad Mini, is better in some military personals back pack then a laptop, I'm not arguing that, I am just arguing about the silly price, Apple should really have scrapped the 16GB and lowered all pricing of the other models with the 128 replacing the 64 price ao it would be 32, 64, 128.

But hell if you use an iPad in a war zone and it survives, kudos to the iPad I say!! ;)

My question is: why should there be a price difference between the two? The unsubsidized price of an iPhone is like $800 or something. You're assigning value merely to computing horsepower. It is in that very issue that we disagree, I think value (and therefore reasonable cost) should be assigned to more than that.

On a different note, military purchases are based on budget, like any other corporation. You present your use cases, cost analyses, and submit a proposal. But BYO devices can be used when cleared, as well.

In addition, I've found the iPad to be an extremely tough device (it is made of metal, vs plastic). The glass is tough, and with very basic protection (I use skins in front and back; that's it.) it is surprisingly robust. The use cases I presented were to contrast how much different a laptop is to a tablet; they just cannot be practical in the same situations. Tablets, especially ones following Apple's archetype, are limited only by the individual's vision. Combat situations are defined by flexibility: you need to adapt quickly, make fast decisions, and the equipment has to facilitate, not hinder this. With an iPad in the field a combatant could keep/team share mission charts, identify prisoners and/or confirm neutralized threats, forward and receive records (medical, maintenance, operational), photograph and forward battle injuries for medevac preparation, receive battlefield data securely, control remote operated equipment, etc, etc, from a single, light, hand-held device with a looong battery life. You just cannot multitask in the field, any field, as easily with a laptop. Not even close. You could apply this logic to firemen, medics, forward deployed construction workers, and anywhere people need to get work done and have access to information and data in all its forms without a desk.

Hence, comparisons between laptops and tablets are not reasonable, unless the tablet will not ever, ever, ever be used as a field device. The primary use of the device must be taken into account.

Again, do I want a cheaper iPad? Yes. Do I think Apple should have eliminated the 16GB setup? Yes. But is a $1,000 iPad unreasonable? I don't think so. Time will tell if other consumers feel the same way..

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I would be very happy to get a 128GB iPhone, why not. My music takes 20GB, I keep another 4GB of podcasts, and of course movies, photo's apps, etc, etc. Why should I pay my wireless carrier to download content when I can take it with me and not have to worry.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
And the iPad mini doesn't even have a Retina display.
I think there's a fair chance that the iPad mini may not get a Retina display for years.
Eventually it will, but there's no pressure on Apple.

Why no pressure? Because the bigger, more expensive iPad already has a Retina display.
You want ultra-sharp graphics? You get the big iPad. You want more portability and lower price?
You get the mini. Apple gives you a clear, easy choice. It's what they do.
And judging by iPad mini sales, the lack of a Retina screen hasn't had any negative effect.

I think eventually the iPad mini will get a Retina display. Display technology, like
any semiconductor technology, always comes down in price over time as materials and
manufacturing processes are improved. But I wonder how much more time, effort, and money
Apple is willing to invest in legacy LCD technology.

Some day, Apple's investment with Sharp on advanced OLED technology and production processes
(all gloriously patented, by the way) will be ready for mass-production.
I suspect we'll see a Retina iPad mini after that has all been worked out.
And maybe Retina MacBook Airs and iMacs as well.

Sock Rolid analysis:rolleyes:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

i have over 11,000 songs which is totals to around 50 GB, so yes i need it, especially if im going to download a bunch of apps

and especially if u jailbreak it, add all the extra features and themes and what not,

and most importantly using the USB DRIVE APP TO PARTITION YOUR PHONES HARDDRIVE TO ACT AS AN EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE

very important and very useful whether for work and just every day use.

say theres a movie or song you really want or a big data file but u dont have anything but your phone.

its great for that.

if they make a 128 GB iphone im defintely getting it

iPad, i would if i had the money.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Why are so many Anti-Apple and Anti-iPad even in this thread? Just to troll people? Got nothing better to do?

----------

Can anyone say overkill? This is the same amount of memory as the MacBook Air. And that thing's a real computer.

Most iPhones are the same price as a Macbook Air too, but you buy them at a subsidized pricing model. So you're entire point is invalid, moooove on.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
With how much flash memory has dropped in price since the iPad came out in 2010, I just find it hilarious that the fanatics are actually cheering for this overpriced "innovation"
You must be a pretty negative person to only see the negative in this move. It´s not the price that people applaud on, it´s the additional option to have more memory available. And since 128GB is now an option, it will become more widespread and there´s more competition, which ultimately may lead to lower prices in the end products themselves or even higher capacities in the future. Yes, lower prices. You would not get lower prices if there´s no competition to be expected anytime soon. In the future there probably won´t be 16GB iPads anymore, baby steps you know.

The current price of NAND doesn´t matter at all. It´s not the NAND that you pay for, it´s an iPad, which still is the best tablet out there. And if you want the best, you´re going to have to pay for it or buy something cheaper.

You´re probably the guy that always has something bad to say about everything. I know people like you and I don´t like them.

Last edited:

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
deliveries of 128 GB iPad arriving yet?

Has anyone received their 128 GB iPad in the postal mail yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.