Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k4show

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Hi,

My iPad 3, has a speck of dust under the screen, very visible when watching movies and on the web. Would I be better off returning through express exchange or in the store? Which would I be more likely to get a satisfactory screen (no dead pixels, dust, hues). I read somewhere the ones in store are brown box and the ones through express exchange are new, is this true?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Hi,

My iPad 3, has a speck of dust under the screen, very visible when watching movies and on the web. Would I be better off returning through express exchange or in the store? Which would I be more likely to get a satisfactory screen (no dead pixels, dust, hues). I read somewhere the ones in store are brown box and the ones through express exchange are new, is this true?

Return to store - repurchase?

Exchange they will give you a brown box (most of the time).

k4show

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Return to store - repurchase?

Exchange they will give you a brown box (most of the time).

No I mean, as a repair to a defective iPad not as an exchange. Any issues with the brown box iPads, I know this model had colour cast issues initially.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Here's what will happen: you will get a refurbished replacement that may contain dust specks, uneven casts to the screen, or a screen that is yellower or redder or bluer. Or maybe it will be perfect. But if its not perfect for you, understand that they won't let you keep exchanging unless a serious defect is present, so I would first decide how much that speck really bugs you.

You lose your leverage for a "perfect unit" after the 14 day return window.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Rule of thumb, if you purchased new and are within the return policy, always return it. That way you start fresh. ;)

As the previous poster said, if you ask for an exchange you could get a replacement with different screen problems. That's something to think about.

Most Apple certified refurbs tend to have few problems and any problems they had are fixed. The only time they may not get fixed is for what was mentioned above, a screen that looks good enough may have tint/color problems.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

The only way you get a 'new' in the sense of white box with charger etc is if you return it retail exchange. If you go through a service swap, in store or by mail in,you are getting a 'brown box' which might be a fresh parts constructed or might have a few recycled bits like the back enclosure, all per the terms of service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.