Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I remember when 640kb would run an OS (DOS) including Lotus 123 & Word Perfect.

I guess gone are the days of tight code.

This page alone weighs in at over 100kb. Some of that is with cached images, so I suppose technically it would be higher.

Can you build an OS in 640k or less?

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
6.1.1 isn't available yet on my 4S, it says the software (6.1) is up to date.

No 3G issues on my phone's end, Sprint's end is a completely different story though.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
As a 4S user directly affected by this, I can't wait to DL the latest update when I get home from work later today. I was wondering what the hell has been wrong with my phone for the last month or so.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
6.1.1 isn't available yet on my 4S, it says the software (6.1) is up to date.

No 3G issues on my phone's end, Sprint's end is a completely different story though.

My buddy has Sprint, he doesn't get LTE anywhere in Miami, until he came down further south in the boon docks to my house, he was pissed.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
No battery or heat issues here and I use a MS Exchange account on my iPhone. Matter of fact my battery life has gotten better! I get about 10% more battery life at the end of the day -- even while Jailbroken, running Winterboard!

Are you speaking of 6.1 or the new 6.1.1 that was released today?

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
My buddy has Sprint, he doesn't get LTE anywhere in Miami, until he came down further south in the boon docks to my house, he was pissed.

I have a Sprint Apple IPhone 5 and I get 4G LTE just fine at Zip Code 60102 (Algonquin, IL, U.S.A., which is where I currently live),which is somewhat of a Rural Area at least 50 Miles NW of Chicago, IL, however whenever I visit my Hometown Area of Schamburg, IL, U.S.A. (Zip Code 60193) I only get 3G both there and in Roselle, IL (Zip Code 60172) which is where my Social Worker's Office is at!

----------

So any chance they'll get around to fixing that AT&T LTE issue?

You only get LTE if you have an Apple IPhone 5, 4S Users are Limited to HSPA+/UMTS, you should know that by now that the IPhone 5 is a much Different IPhone from the 4S!

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Please explain how this add fragmentation to the iOS ecosystem.

I agree that IPhone's are nowhere even close to being fragmented as much as Android Phones are, all I have to do is look at the Sunday Sales Fliers to see RadioShack and other Electronics Stores selling Motorola Droid Family Cell Phones with Android 2.3 OS on them, Samsung is practically the only Android OEM that is forcing Carriers to Upgrade their Phone's Software to Jelly Bean, everyone else has to usually Root their phones to get Jelly Bean!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
This update is BS! Apple has really stopped innovating in its updates as Android has gotten a clear lead. I mean, all this did was change the 3G. Who cares? We don't want this! iOS is antiquated and doomed.
/s

----------

I remember when 640kb would run an OS (DOS) including Lotus 123 & Word Perfect.

I guess gone are the days of tight code.

A computer scientist from the early 90s would vomit at Windows 8 for the Surface. It's tablet software that takes up 30GB. How the heck did they manage to do that?????????

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
It took me a LOT more than ≈25mb to download this via iTunes.

For starters, it was listed as ≈950mb and then I had to download it twice because I accidentally hit cmd-q in the wrong window (my fault, I know, but it could have at least started where it left off instead of making me start all over again from 0mb)

iTunes downloads the entire OS and then updates. OTA is a delta update, so it only downloads the changes. That is why the file was so big.

This update is BS! Apple has really stopped innovating in its updates as Android has gotten a clear lead. I mean, all this did was change the 3G. Who cares? We don't want this! iOS is antiquated and doomed.

It's a X.X.1 update. Of course it's small. That's like saying Google (or Microsoft, Blackberry/RIM, etc.) should create a totally new OS version every month. It takes time to update an OS, it doesn't happen instantaneously. Bug fixes are needed as much as major OS features are.

Last edited:

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
I don't know you guys, Safari sure seems snappier to me
e_6eb3c124.jpg

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Beat me to it. Oh wait... I still have one...

"... that joke's lost it's flavour a long time ago XD ..."

What?? No, it hasn't! The whole joke is the angry and/or confused responses to the phrase :D

----------

It's a X.X.1 update. Of course it's small. That's like saying Google (or Microsoft, Blackberry/RIM, etc.) should create a totally new OS version every month. It takes time to update an OS, it doesn't happen instantaneously. Bug fixes are needed as much as major OS features are.

I don't blame you for not noticing it, but I was not being serious. The reason it was so hard to detect was because I was trying to make it a semi-realistic comment you'd see from the pessimists around here.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I don't blame you for not noticing it, but I was not being serious. The reason it was so hard to detect was because I was trying to make it a semi-realistic comment you'd see from the pessimists around here.

Yeah I missed the sarcasm on that one. :D It's just all the ignorant people that have been saying that on here have been getting under my skin. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.