Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hi, new user, and this is my first post. But I wanted to share the 3 hours of my life updating an iPhone 3G. I feel proud of myself so I hope this will help someone out there. I know the iPhone 3G is out of date, but I still own one and when I was searching I couldn't find a fix. I am on a Mac, so here goes:

I have a iPhone 3G locked to UK O2 network. But I needed it unlocked to use it, so last year I had updated it to 4.1 and the iPad baseband 6.15.00. This works with the software unlock ultrasn0w. But as you will read, 6.15.00 baseband basically prevents you from updating firmware, and has GPS troubles.

I pulled it out last night and I wanted to update it to the last supported firmware, 4.2.1 8C148. So I read about redsn0w and musclenerd supporting a baseband downgrade. Great!

I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.15b3, the latest one, and followed all the instructions. redsn0w, unselected cydia and battery percentages, selected "downgrade from iPad baseband" and hit run. This is where it started to go downhill. Everything ran, iPhone rebooted, then I get "Searching...." under networks.....

Thats when I noticed it. No IMEI, no Wifi, no Bluetooth, no Baseband. Basically every post online that I searched said my radio baseband was corrupted and my chip was screwed. The phone would also slap me in the face by rebooting itself every 3 minutes.

I tried running downgrade baseband/install ipad baseband a few more times, downloading ios 4.1 to have redsn0w point to it specifically. All was lost.

Until I read a post saying something along the lines of "yes you can upgrade to ipad baseband and then downgrade again to 5.13.00"........fingers crossed.....

I restored it to 4.2.1 through itunes. Baseband was back, at 5.15.00. However as if to taunt me, everything was restored, but redsn0w still won't install ipad baseband. Tried many times, followed the instructions precisely, but no go. I still need my unlock!

Then I remembered a few years ago I had to try different versions of pwnage tool and snowbreeze. So that set off some thoughts, downloaded 0.9.14b2..... iPad baseband installed, iPad baseband downgraded. I am happy, everything works as it should now and I am on a better baseband with GPS.

tl;dr Corrupted my 3G baseband, restored in itunes, tried a previous version of redsn0w, fixed 3G BB, upgraded then downgraded iPad BB, and now I have an unlocked 3G.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps someone in the future.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Sweating bullets.

I saw the no wifi, I thought, oh, must be a bug, I'll just check my baseband downgrade then reboot. The About section of the iPhone was like a graveyard, everything was greyed or blank, short of model number.

And the internet was not helping, as everyone describing this exact situation got the same response "your hardware is dead/chip is fried/get a new baseband chip/etc. etc.."

I thought I had an ipod on my hands.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Ah ok,

That explains it. I figured the latest one would be best bet.

Well, it worked out for me, but I see lots of other people who mess up their basebands as well... So there is hope after all....

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ah ok,

That explains it. I figured the latest one would be best bet.

Well, it worked out for me, but I see lots of other people who mess up their basebands as well... So there is hope after all....

Only those who flash the iPad baseband to newer 3GS iPhones (built after 27th week of 2011) suffer permanent damage to bb chip.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Glad we're all here to learn things like that and also let others know about these issues and how to overcome them.
Hope it will help others too in the future when they search for similar topics.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I read about the 3GS and the production dates, but never paid any attention as I had already upgraded to iPad baseband without a hitch.

But that would be good to know the distinction between the 2, as I thought I was in the same boat when my BB was boned.

Thanks for the heads up, my research ability is still not up to par I see.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
OP - thank you so much for this. literally had the exact same thing happen but was able to get it back by doing the same steps you did!

-downgrade the ipad baseband using redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (jailbreak, install cydia and downgrade ipad baseband)
-letting it do its thing (iphone came up with no wifi, no bluetooth, no iccid, no imei, no baseband/modem firmware)
-put it back into dfu mode and restored using itunes (stock iphone 3G 4.2.1 ipsw)

everything works perfectly again (wifi, bluetooth, imei, iccid, baseband/modem firmware, gps). just bought a $3 unlock from unlock fusion and im good to go. glad the iphone dev team was able to figure out how to downgrade the ipad baseband!

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Glad it worked out. After my downgrade, the baseband was still unlockable and I installed ultrans0w and was on my merry way. My 3G was locked to UK 02 and I was not about to shell out any number that started with "£" for such an old phone.

DanielContreras

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Please help me

OP - thank you so much for this. literally had the exact same thing happen but was able to get it back by doing the same steps you did!

-downgrade the ipad baseband using redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (jailbreak, install cydia and downgrade ipad baseband)
-letting it do its thing (iphone came up with no wifi, no bluetooth, no iccid, no imei, no baseband/modem firmware)
-put it back into dfu mode and restored using itunes (stock iphone 3G 4.2.1 ipsw)

everything works perfectly again (wifi, bluetooth, imei, iccid, baseband/modem firmware, gps). just bought a $3 unlock from unlock fusion and im good to go. glad the iphone dev team was able to figure out how to downgrade the ipad baseband!

Help me pelase. I have a brick baseband after downgrade The iPad baseband from my iPhone 3GS. What can I do?

----------

Help me pelase. I have a brick baseband after downgrade The iPad baseband from my iPhone 3GS. What can I do? I have installed IOS 6.1

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
-download redsnow 0.9.15b3.
-open redsnow, then click jailbreak and check both install cydia and downgrade ipad baseband.
-let redsnow do its thing on the iphone. it'll take a while.

-once redsnow finishes, your phone should "work", but have no wifi, 3G, whatever.
-download the iphone 3GS 6.1 ipsw from felixbruns (google felixbruns).
-put your iphone in dfu mode, restore to the 3GS 6.1 ipsw.
-wait for it to restore.

-you're done!

iamrhari

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Please help with detailed walk through of steps.

-download redsnow 0.9.15b3.
-open redsnow, then click jailbreak and check both install cydia and downgrade ipad baseband.
-let redsnow do its thing on the iphone. it'll take a while.

-once redsnow finishes, your phone should "work", but have no wifi, 3G, whatever.
-download the iphone 3GS 6.1 ipsw from felixbruns (google felixbruns).
-put your iphone in dfu mode, restore to the 3GS 6.1 ipsw.
-wait for it to restore.

-you're done!

secretanchitman/dextr3k,

I have attached by friend's iphone 3G Settings->General->About screenshot. Managed a quick snap before it entered it reboot loop :mad:
Phone pops up a "Restore Needed" message before rebooting.

Only today I got a custom ipsw loaded onto the phone by some local iphone jailbreak experts.

But you can see that they couldn't restore the baseband and asserted that it CAN NOT be either.

Your posts are encouraging and restores belief that it may be possible to restore the baseband.:D

For the benefit of newbies, could you :
1) Confirm all the info needed is there in your post (to restore my phone from where it is now)
2) If not, be kind enough to take some time to post the steps to the benefit of others with an expensive brick.

thanks a ton in advance,
rhari!

ps: please accept the friend request, just in case I need to send a pm. I promise I wouldn't be botheration.

Attachments

• iphone-3gs-baseband-fried.JPG
    iphone-3gs-baseband-fried.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 41,768

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
i wonder why the firmware is on 4.1? do you have an iphone 3G or 3GS? i assumed you have a 3GS.

did you downgrade the baseband through redsn0w? that step is very important. once you do that, then go ahead and normally DFU restore to either 4.2.1 if you have an iphone 3G or 6.1 if you have a 3GS.

athena31

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
i wonder why the firmware is on 4.1? do you have an iphone 3G or 3GS? i assumed you have a 3GS.

did you downgrade the baseband through redsn0w? that step is very important. once you do that, then go ahead and normally DFU restore to either 4.2.1 if you have an iphone 3G or 6.1 if you have a 3GS.

Hi sir. Ive been trying to restore my 3Gs because Im experiencing the same thing no imei, no baseband, wifi etc and always restarts every 3mins.

I followed the steps. Am i gonna do the normal restore in itunes or can i just do it in redsn0w with restoring with baseband?

I know that its not a hardware issue and theres still a fix for this. Thank you so much.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hi sir. Ive been trying to restore my 3Gs because Im experiencing the same thing no imei, no baseband, wifi etc and always restarts every 3mins.

I followed the steps. Am i gonna do the normal restore in itunes or can i just do it in redsn0w with restoring with baseband?

I know that its not a hardware issue and theres still a fix for this. Thank you so much.

Give us the first 5 digits of your serial number.
You might have tried to install the ipad bb on an incompatible 3GS and caused irreversible and permanent damage.

athena31

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
You might have tried to install the ipad bb on an incompatible 3GS and caused irreversible and permanent damage.

Right now its on the process of jailbreaking and downgrading to ipad baseband. I just restored it to 4.1. Ill reply as soon as i get the inforamtion. Thanks much!

----------

Got it sir. its 87137
Hope that i can still fix this. Thank you!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I got bad news Athena.
That iphone 3GS is not compatible with the ipad baseband.
Anything higher than serial number xx134 has the new fixed bootrom.
In other words you pretty much fried the baseband,wifi, bluetooth and the rest communication chips when you installed the ipad baseband:(
Nothing you can do to undo that now besides getting a new logic board.

athena31

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
I got bad news Athena.
That iphone 3GS is not compatible with the ipad baseband.
Anything higher than serial number xx134 has the new fixed bootrom.
In other words you pretty much fried the baseband,wifi, bluetooth and the rest communication chips when you installed the ipad baseband:(
Nothing you can do to undo that now besides getting a new logic board.

OH MY GOD! :eek:
Im so sad to hear that! :'(

dsantoz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Hi,

I'm kinda desperate so if anyone can help me i'll apriciate it very much!

I've got an iphone 3gs, it came to me in a boot loop.

After retoring it to 6.1.2 it has no imei, wifi... etc...

but the serial is xx130xx

I've tried everything... but nothing... it keeps rebotting after some minutes.

Sorry about my english

Thanx in advance
Dany

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
If it restored perfectly fine, and on 6.1.2, but you have no imei etc, then try restoring it again, if it doesnt take, put the phone in DFU mode through redsn0w and try to install ipad baseband.

However I suspect that your 3GS might have been a new bootrom, so whoever tried to install the ipad baseband ended up frying the chip. And unlike my 3G, once that happens you cannot fix it short of putting a new baseband chip in.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi,

I'm kinda desperate so if anyone can help me i'll apriciate it very much!

I've got an iphone 3gs, it came to me in a boot loop.

After retoring it to 6.1.2 it has no imei, wifi... etc...

but the serial is xx130xx

I've tried everything... but nothing... it keeps rebotting after some minutes.

Sorry about my english

Thanx in advance
Dany

Since the phone was made after the 27th week of 2011, my guess is someone tried to flash the iPad baseband to it and toasted the bb chip.

If so, the bb chip will need to be replaced to fix the phone.

If you bought this on eBay as a working phone, it is not and cannot run with damaged hardware.
Open a dispute and get a refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.