Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hello,

I just got a brand new Airport Express 2012 and updated to the latest firmware. I am on the 5GHZ band with auto scan (for channel) enabled. Before, I would use my Macbook Pro 13" to broadcast a wifi network and I always got around 80mbps with an iOS device connected to my MacBook. With my Airport Express, top speeds are 30-40mbps, sometimes in the 20's. Why is this? How can my MacBook be faster than a dedicated router?

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the response,

The only problem is that I am running mountain Lion and cannot install the older Airport Utility since it is not compatible. What should I do now?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
You don't actually have to install the old utility, you can just extract the App from the package.

I actually have it on hand...uploading...and...done. - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39407288/AirPort_Utility_5.6.zip

Make sure to go into Preferences and disable any of the auto update/monitoring stuff because this is just the App (none of the other background stuff is included). Also, rename it something like "AirPort Utility 5.6" that way you don't overwrite the current AirPort Utility. :p

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
You don't actually have to install the old utility, you can just extract the App from the package.

I actually have it on hand...uploading...and...done. - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39407288/AirPort_Utility_5.6.zip

Make sure to go into Preferences and disable any of the auto update/monitoring stuff because this is just the App (none of the other background stuff is included). Also, rename it something like "AirPort Utility 5.6" that way you don't overwrite the current AirPort Utility. :p

Wow, thanks it worked. However, if you could please tell me how to install 7.6.1 it would be greatly
appreciated

UPDATE: Ok, I figured out how to upload firmware. I just cant find 7.6.1 on the web. Why won't apple let me download a previous firmware version. I can only downgrade to 7.6.2 (the firmware it came with), not 7.6.1

UPDATE: Now, I found all firmware for Airport Express, Extreme, and Time Capsule. However, 7.6.1 is not listed for my Express. Is it compatible with the 2012 Airport Express?

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I don't know if the 2012 AirPort Express ever shipped with 7.6.1, both of mine (including a 3rd one that was DOA) shipped with 7.6.2.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I don't know if the 2012 AirPort Express ever shipped with 7.6.1, both of mine (including a 3rd one that was DOA) shipped with 7.6.2.

Yeah, mine shipped with 7.6.2 also, and then I updated to 7.6.3. Is this worth calling AppleCare about? I am using a University Network and there are tons of routers in the area, so I wouldn't be surprised of channel overlap.

But the main point is that my Airport Express should be just as fast as my laptop. Not slower. It also seems to top out around 50mbps, while if I had my laptop create a Wifi connection and use my iPhone 5 to test speeds, I could achieve 70mbps. I am on the 5GHZ band too.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yeah, mine shipped with 7.6.2 also, and then I updated to 7.6.3. Is this worth calling AppleCare about? I am using a University Network and there are tons of routers in the area, so I wouldn't be surprised of channel overlap.

But the main point is that my Airport Express should be just as fast as my laptop. Not slower. It also seems to top out around 50mbps, while if I had my laptop create a Wifi connection and use my iPhone 5 to test speeds, I could achieve 70mbps. I am on the 5GHZ band too.

I never saw a 7.6.2, I went from 7.6.1 to 7.6.3 on all of my devices. TC, AEBS and AExpress.

I just did a speedtest while laying in bed over WiFi and got 99.89Mbps from my advertised 100Mbps on my MBA.:confused:

anzyme

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Hi, just wonder if you've got a fix for your problem?

My situation is exactly the same as yours -- I got an Airport Express 2012. Previously when I shared internet from my mac mini, I got 80Mbps for my iPhone. Now with AE 2012, I only got 40Mbps. That's annoying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.