Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hi guys,

I was browsing through the iOS Dev Center and I noticed that there is a firmware for a revised model of the GSM iPhone 4. Anyone has a clue of what it is or where it came from? I actually never heard of it before I looked in the Dev Center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 227

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
It's the 8GB model.

But we never saw an iPhone 3GS revision model when they launched the 8Gb one at the iPhone 4 announcement.

Good catch.
But would they make a special firmware version just for the same version iphone 4 with less storage?

I find that weird too for the reason I just said.

There's also an iPad 2 Wifi (Rev A). How do you explain that?

The revision model of the iPad 2 had a new 32nm A5 chip instead of the 40nm chip found in the "first" iPad 2.

TwistedPain

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
Upon searching the Internet for an answer everyone seems to suggest the 8GB 4 gets this firmware. However like you've suggested that typically does not require different firmware alone. There might be a slight hardware difference too (besides memory).

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Apple may have done a die shrink on the iPhone 4's A4 processor to lower cost. This would follow the same method used for the iPad 2 WiFi Rev A, when the A5 went from a 45nm process to a 32nm process. These shrinks make it so you can manufacture more chips at a time (more per wafer). Apple was able to lower the price of the iPad 2 by $100 as a result.

I'm wondering if this is related to the recent rumors of a cheaper iPhone. Good find!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Upon searching the Internet for an answer everyone seems to suggest the 8GB 4 gets this firmware. However like you've suggested that typically does not require different firmware alone. There might be a slight hardware difference too (besides memory).

Yep, that would make sense.
Maybe they changed something on the hardware besides just half the amount of storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.