Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Bought this on Steam at the weekend for £5.99. It's brilliant!

I'm not a hardcore realtime strategy fan - the last one I played intensively was Myth II (best online game ever) - but this is hugely enjoyable and very accessible.

You can shift units around from an aerial perspective, zoom out to inspect the battlefield via a satellite view, and zoom in close enough to see the grass getting flattened by your tanks. Very nice graphics.

I've no idea how to keep an eye on Steam for upcoming sale items, and I think this might have gone back to full price now, but it's definitely worth looking out for.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I've got Ruse on the Xbox but I found it a bit difficult- these things are definitely not so good without a mouse.

I think I prefer the modern scenario in Wargame, plus it's less gimmicky without having Ruse's special powers at your disposal.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Bought this on Steam at the weekend for £5.99. It's brilliant!

I'm not a hardcore realtime strategy fan - the last one I played intensively was Myth II (best online game ever) - but this is hugely enjoyable and very accessible.

You can shift units around from an aerial perspective, zoom out to inspect the battlefield via a satellite view, and zoom in close enough to see the grass getting flattened by your tanks. Very nice graphics.

I've no idea how to keep an eye on Steam for upcoming sale items, and I think this might have gone back to full price now, but it's definitely worth looking out for.

How steep is the learning curve? Unfortunately I don't have much time to play wargames (which I normally love) nowadays...

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I'm no expert at these things but I wouldn't say the learning curve is too steep. There isn't a dedicated tutorial, only a gradual introduction of new units and concepts as you play each level, but the early levels are easy. I haven't dared try the online multiplayer, though, as I can imagine it would be brutal against a decent opponent.

I've got into the habit of saving after each significant event - you can give the saves long descriptive names, so you know what had just happened when they were made.

Everything can be controlled by the mouse, too, so there are no keyboard controls to learn.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm no expert at these things but I wouldn't say the learning curve is too steep. There isn't a dedicated tutorial, only a gradual introduction of new units and concepts as you play each level, but the early levels are easy. I haven't dared try the online multiplayer, though, as I can imagine it would be brutal against a decent opponent.

I've got into the habit of saving after each significant event - you can give the saves long descriptive names, so you know what had just happened when they were made.

Everything can be controlled by the mouse, too, so there are no keyboard controls to learn.

Thanks. What are the available factions?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
But can you choose specific countries fom either side?

They're all mixed together in the singleplayer mode. In the first set of missions you play as Germans but you pick up some British units along the way. A later set of missions sees you starting as USA.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I've found some of the early solo campaign scenarios to be very challenging. Still trying to get through one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.