Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Would like to know if it's have any Hackintosh section in the forum? I didn,t found one.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
There is none.

MR2ss_2013_02_12_pA1_MRForums.png

Have you tried the following Hackintosh specific fora and websites yet?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Would like to know if it's have any Hackintosh section in the forum? I didn,t found one.

Thanks
Hackintoshes require special modifications, both in software and hardware, and the discussion of such modifications happens already in the appropriate forums. Such forums are:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/
and
http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php

I'm sure i forgot some important other forums. I do not see a good reason, why we should start here from point zero. And we have neither a flood of hackintosh-related posts on MR nor a big need to compare Mac Pro and Mac mini computers to hackintosh computers. Correct me, if i'm wrong!

I've convinced myself, that a hackintosh is not necessary for me (software development & video encoding). However, i see where such a computer can be useful (labs, industry, et cetera).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your best bet is to use those two forums for your hackintosh needs. There is the odd hackintosh thread here but for specific and dedicated help you can't beat those two sites.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Years ago I tried to get some database development threads going here. I got no response. But in the meantime I found another forum that specialized in databases. The professionals where already there. Now I spend about as much time there as I do here.

While I can appreciate the enthusiasm for MacRumors and the desire for this forum to be a "one stop shop" for all things Apple, there are already strong communities on the web dealing with these subjects. By promoting "hackintosh" here, you will either end up with discussion that lacks expertise as the "experts" already have a home elsewhere or you will serve to further dilute discussion by spreading thin those interested in this topic.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks

They really ought to. Knowing the mods, they'll shy away from it because Apple deems it in violation of the EULA. Still though, there are a lot of people on here who do it and a lot of people on here who want to talk about it.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Are you really sure about that? I see a very small amount of threads overall on the subject and most of the traffic gets advised to go to the speciality sites mentioned above in this post. Those sites can do a much better job addressing a topic that is very controversial.

Not to mention that I doubt that Arn or the other sites want to deal with the potential of dealing with the subject in an objective and legal way since there is no real way to do it legally (it only can be done by violating the SLA of Mac OS X) and the debates on the subject tend to get very little progress (and most importantly don’t require a whole dedicated sub forum).

But honestly, I doubt there is enough interest to sustain a dedicated to to the subject, and the context is such that I doubt that Arn wants to be seen as endorsing or encouraging such a task anyhow.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Are you really sure about that? I see a very small amount of threads overall on the subject and most of the traffic gets advised to go to the speciality sites mentioned above in this post. Those sites can do a much better job addressing a topic that is very controversial.

Not to mention that I doubt that Arn or the other sites want to deal with the potential of dealing with the subject in an objective and legal way since there is no real way to do it legally (it only can be done by violating the SLA of Mac OS X) and the debates on the subject tend to get very little progress (and most importantly don’t require a whole dedicated sub forum).

But honestly, I doubt there is enough interest to sustain a dedicated to to the subject, and the context is such that I doubt that Arn wants to be seen as endorsing or encouraging such a task anyhow.

This is a very good explanation as to why we don't have a section for this. There are other sites with more resources for it and, more importantly, it is a violation of Apple's SLA and posting about it on MacRumors would be a violation of our rules as well.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I'd rather have hackintosh section here at MR, than going somewhere else for it. How about?

that seems a little simple. Insanelymac and Tonymacx86 are bore-sighted on the Hackintosh scene with dozens of forums of their own. Here, try asking about installing a 10.8.1 kext to get sound working for your GAz87 motherboard with Realtek ALC889a sound codec and see how far that goes.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
This is a very good explanation as to why we don't have a section for this. There are other sites with more resources for it and, more importantly, it is a violation of Apple's SLA and posting about it on MacRumors would be a violation of our rules as well.

But there is a section on Jailbreaking and iOS hacks which would run afoul of the same rules. So I would think the better reason is just that Arn doesn't think there is enough interest.

Reactions: willmtaylor

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hackintosh = PC hardware
IOS devices = Apple hardware

MacRumors - Apple specific

What's not to understand here? This is a site for Apple items.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have zero problems if there was a dedicated forum but it doesn't really fall under the notion of Mac Rumours...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are other sites better suited for such topics. While there are some interest by members here, its clearly not enough to warrant a new forum.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Not Apple approved.

Hackintoshes are not Apple approved hence no threads. Likewise talk about anti-copying software circumvention and the like. Common sense, really. Not a big deal; just accept this isn't the place for such discussions and move on.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hackintoshes are not Apple approved hence no threads.
Hackintosh threads are permitted here at MacRumors. The OP and some other members were looking for a dedicated forum for such discussions. As it stands, there's only been a handful of discussions spread across the OS X and hardware forums. Most of the time, respondents point the OP to tonymacx86 and InsanelyMac

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Hackintoshes are not Apple approved hence no threads. Likewise talk about anti-copying software circumvention and the like. Common sense, really. Not a big deal; just accept this isn't the place for such discussions and move on.

Jailbreaking isn't Apple approved yet there is a whole section dedicated to it here.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Jailbreaking isn't Apple approved yet there is a whole section dedicated to it here.

I think the one difference here, is that at least with Jailbreaking, you're buying Apple hardware. Apple has already made their money (sure they won't get a cut of software if you use another App store, but there is no guarantee an owner of an iOS device would buy any apps). Further Jailbreaking is currently considered legal.

For hackintosh (which I have one), I didn't pay apple for the right's for the software (at least for that particular computer) and I didn't buy any hardware from Apple (for that particular computer). Technically I "stole" the OS at this point. This is technically illegal.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm all in favour of a Hackintosh section at MacRumors. I've made a few myself over the years and I think there is a Hackintosh community here at MacRumors that should be welcomed.

All this 'its illegal' stuff is moot. Nobody is going to get arrested over it so why should anybody care? It is actually law in the UK that it is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day. But nobody cares because we all know how stupid of a law it is. And regardless of what Apple's EULA says, nobody at Apple is going to care what people do with the software they bought and neither is the law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.