Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
Rumors

Google abandoned Google glass project and concentrate on google nexus wrist watch project..

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Lets see.....Cartier watch, Tag watch......HELL NO! I want to wear an iWatch in public!

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
It seems now Apple is trying to follow the market instead of the market following them. I mean, look at iPhone +, which will have 5" screen to imitate the S3. And the iWatch will be an imitation of the Pebble watch. Is Apple just surviving?

Just like Apple never claimed to invent the MP3 player, they reinvented and did it well. Just like the iphone, Apple won't claim to have invented a wristwatch, just reinvented something - I can see this working because of the ecosystem. endless opportunities. Remember how huge Swatch watches were in the 80s... not saying they replace a beautiful timepiece - but an iwatch could have a niche place in my world...

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
This could be really really bad for Apple. Regardless of how great it is, anything short of life changing will be criticized relentlessly by the media. It could be mocked by the public.

If they do it, it should come with a huge disclosure on the box "This is not meant to be like the iphone or the ipad, it will not change your life, it is an accessory."

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This could be really really bad for Apple. Regardless of how great it is, anything short of life changing will be criticized relentlessly by the media. It could be mocked by the public.

If they do it, it should come with a huge disclosure on the box "This is not meant to be like the iphone or the ipad, it will not change your life, it is an accessory."

So says, Mr. C. Everett Koop.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
haha, it's definitely not for everyone :) I'm not an attention whore though in the least bit, I simply don't care what other people think. I enjoy people's reactions in general good or bad. Why take life so seriously I figure.

I tried searching for it. Do you have a link?

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Sheet!

Great, now an even SMALLER screen to deal with. UGH!

But I am waiting for are (and it may take several years) the google glasses. I like the concept.
My only concern there is the 'dweeb' factor that buried the Segway (sorry Woz, but its true).

jca666us

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
I didn't think it was the dweeb factor, but the malfunctioning Segway that drove the guy over the cliff that buried Segway.

Great, now an even SMALLER screen to deal with. UGH!

But I am waiting for are (and it may take several years) the google glasses. I like the concept.
My only concern there is the 'dweeb' factor that buried the Segway (sorry Woz, but its true).

frojive

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the whole smart-watch thing is a gimmick?

Depends on how the end user wants to use it. Can it be a gimmick for most? Yeah maybe not very useful. Then again do people really need PADs, or has the laptop for the average user become a gimmick?

I backed pebble because I can get use from it. While I am on my kayak I will now be able to keep my phone in dry storage and safe from harm, but still be connected. I will also be able to change my music track through my pebble and use of Bluetooth headphones.

If they made an elegant smart watch it would help ladies who keep their phones in purses. My wife is always missing my text and or calls. Sometimes they can be very urgent and needs a quick response.

Again it is all how you plan to use it.

bluedevils

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but I only read the first couple of pages. I see people mention about their existing watches. Who says you have to wear this device on the same arm? If it functions much more than a watch and thin and small, I could imagine having it on my right wrist.

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
watch phone

Some cool designs-I say just let it flip open to be big enough to be practical-it would almost be the size of the iphone today with less bezels top and bottom.
If necessary add a line of shoes to insert more phone capabilities-and/or a belt that has a buckle for that.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

Almost, not everything has to be the most amazing device ever, just something useful to whoever wants it.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I'll hang on to this post so you can eat it later. A smart watch is coming in the not so distant future from Apple. And its going to be a massive. So massive that you will even wake up at 3am to pre-order it. Just wait and see.

That's a bet! on Jan 01, 2014 ... the loser has to change their sig for a year to the following: "I thought I knew about a 2013 forthcoming iWatch and I was wrong!... I lost a bet and now have to wear this embarrassing sig"

Deal?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
That's a bet! on Jan 01, 2014 ... the loser has to change their sig for a year to the following: "I thought I knew about a 2013 forthcoming iWatch and I was wrong!... I lost a bet and now have to wear this embarrassing sig"

Deal?

I'm in! And I'll proudly wear my sig should I be wrong.

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Iwatch not coming

I might be wrong, but I don't think this will ever happen.
All major apple products are stand-alone products. The iPhone, the iPad the laptops, even the appleTV; all can be used as stand-alone products. They work well together, and that is the main reason I have them, but it would be enough to have one of them. Not so with an iwatch. As a stand-alone item it would be rather useless, besides showing the time, it might work with wifi, but once you're out and about, you would need a SIM card in it to have all the features we expect from an idevice. Connecting earphones to it wont be very convenient. So there had to be a phone with it, and then it is just an accessory. I don't think apple is going to invest so much into an accessory. Also, I would hate having to charge my iPhone and iwatch every evening, or even just having to take it off all the time.
In my opinion, iglasses would be more useful in the future, because i can see them being a stand-alone item at some point, but they are not there yet.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I might be wrong, but I don't think this will ever happen.
All major apple products are stand-alone products. The iPhone, the iPad the laptops, even the appleTV; all can be used as stand-alone products. They work well together, and that is the main reason I have them, but it would be enough to have one of them. Not so with an iwatch. As a stand-alone item it would be rather useless, besides showing the time, it might work with wifi, but once you're out and about, you would need a SIM card in it to have all the features we expect from an idevice. Connecting earphones to it wont be very convenient. So there had to be a phone with it, and then it is just an accessory. I don't think apple is going to invest so much into an accessory. Also, I would hate having to charge my iPhone and iwatch every evening, or even just having to take it off all the time.
In my opinion, iglasses would be more useful in the future, because i can see them being a stand-alone item at some point, but they are not there yet.
What about all the iPods aside from the touch? These need to be connected to a computer in order to get any sort of media onto them, and are therefor not really stand-alone devices.

Also Apple does produce the iPod touch and WiFi only version of the iPad, meaning that SIM cards are not universal even in iOS devices.

Last edited:

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
What about all the iPods aside from the touch? These need to be connected to a computer in order to get any sort of media onto them, and are therefor not really stand-alone devices.

Also Apple does produce the iPod touch and WiFi only version of the iPad, meaning that SIM cards are not universal even in iOS devices.

iPods are standalone as soon as they are "loaded" with music. You don't need anything else, once there is music on. My girlfrined's nano hasn't seen a computer in a couple of years.
The iPod touch and iPads are wifi, yes,but their main purpose isn't to relay txt merges or email or pull info out of the web on the go. There are a lot more things to do with the touch and iPads. You won't play games or watch films with your iwatch, using one hand.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
iPods are standalone as soon as they are "loaded" with music. You don't need anything else, once there is music on. My girlfrined's nano hasn't seen a computer in a couple of years.
The iPod touch and iPads are wifi, yes,but their main purpose isn't to relay txt merges or email or pull info out of the web on the go. There are a lot more things to do with the touch and iPads. You won't play games or watch films with your iwatch, using one hand.

Okay, then here are some things that are definitively in the accessory category that Apple still invested quite a bit of time and money into developing: magic mouse, magic trackpad, EarPods.

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Okay, then here are some things that are definitively in the accessory category that Apple still invested quite a bit of time and money into developing: magic mouse, magic trackpad, EarPods.

Ok, but I don't think we can argue that the mighty mouse or earpods were the "the next big thing" the world was waiting for. :)
we can hope and see what they come up with. I just don't think it's a watch as a new category-defining gadget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.