Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRKyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I have an Airport extreme (assuming newest model, I got it for christmas), connected to it I have a belking powered USB hub, and connected to that I have 2 1TB hard drives.

I want to use one of those hard drives for a wireless time machine back up, but here at university my wifi is so slow it says it will take 7 days to do the initial back up, I've tried to let it do this 3 times, but overtime it disconnects at some point. Today is the furthest I've got at 6 days remaining, then the connection was lost and the back up fails - meaning I have to start over!

I have an ethernet cable which I have plugged into the aiport and my mac, as apparently this allows you to do the initial backup over the ethernet (which shouldnt be effected by the internet cutting out?) and also ethernet is a lot faster than wifi i'm told.

However, it doesn't seem to be using the ethernet connection as, like i've said, it just cut out on me, and also the back was still going to take a week.

How do I make it connect over ethernet, but then after this, use wifi to make back ups?

The airport extreme is part of my wifi network by the way, not the router where the internet is plugged in.

Thanks in advance

Jon

daerve

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
If you go the networking section in system preferences you can check if it's connected via ethernet and also by clicking the config icon under the left menu you can change the hierarchy of what is used. Most likely wifi is set as the priority.

JRKyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
If you read the blog Configuring OS X Mountain Lion Time Machine to Work With CIFS (SMB) Share. So just mount and format the external for Mac OS X Extended and use Disk Utility to create 1 partition for MAC OS Extended (Journaled). The follow the steps in the link (that I listed earlier) and set the sparse bundle on the drive.

This should work, Good Luck.

My external drive is formatted to OS Extended (Journaled) already.

So then do I just follow the link?

Thanks for the help!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My external drive is formatted to OS Extended (Journaled) already.

So then do I just follow the link?

Thanks for the help!

Then just go with making the spares bundle and go on from there to make the permission on in the steps after making the bundle. Just make sure you have the disk mounted on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.