Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
Hi, I recently upgraded my 2011 Mac mini to a 2012 Mac mini Server. I was using my Apple LED Cinema Display 27" with the 2011 model with no problems at all. But now, using the server, I find that the screen flashes bright white for a split second when waking from sleep. The image quickly returns to normal and is fine after that. Has anyone else seen this? I've tried resetting the Pram but it made no difference. Any other suggestions on what to try to stop this happening? Thanks.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Mine with a 27" TBD does not do it. But I'm not sure it's something I'd take it back for even if it did.

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the response. What worries me is it's more like a camera flash going off every time the ACD comes on! And its definitely the Mac mini 2012 because I have re-connected the 2011 Mac mini and its fine. I called into the Apple Store today and their Mac mini 2012 doesn't do it connected to their Thunderbolt display......

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I suspect it has more to do with the OS than the hardware - I say that because the exact same thing happens with my 2011 MacBook Air with the built in 11" display! It didn't do it on 10.7 Lion, only on 10.8 Mountain Lion.

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
Thanks rbrian, I also have a MBA 11" 2011 but it is fine on ML 10.8.2??

I just got off the phone with Apple Support who talked me through the SMC reset. It seems to have cured the problem for now!

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
After speaking to Apple Support again it would appear that the problem was caused by a corrupt installation of Adobe Flash Player! Re-installing it seems to have fixed the problem now :)

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hmm, that's odd. I don't have Flash on my Air; I use John Gruber's method of using Chrome when I really need it. I'm pretty sure I heard about that before I got my Air, so it shouldn't have ever had Flash... Come to think of it it happens most often after I've been watching a full screen video in Chrome and shut the lid without stopping it.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/flash_free_and_cheating_with_google_chrome

FearGhost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Cambridge, UK
I'm not 100% sure that its solved the problem, but it did while I was talking to Support. The SMC reset yesterday seemed to clear the problem for a while too. It's definitely not a hardware issue though as I booted from an external drive with ML on it and it was fine...... I may try a clean install of ML if the problem is still there!....

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Well we're making progress! It's definitely a software issue, which ought to be fixed in an update, like the Mac mini HDMI bug. I don't know enough to be able to diagnose it much further than that; I grew up with Windows, Unix is all Greek to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.