Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner. One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power. Do you think that the new iPad 5 will have enough juice to create PS 3 like graphics. We all know PS 4 is coming out and I am not comparing an ipad with it.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner. One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power. Do you think that the new iPad 5 will have enough juice to create PS 3 like graphics. We all know PS 4 is coming out and I am not comparing an ipad with it.

Maybe it can. Maybe it can't

But they aren't designed to compete. They aren not competitive products. They aren't even the same form factor.

It's like saying, which is a better machine for creating graphics-- a MacBook Pro with photoshop or an Etch-A-Sketch. They are NOT for the same consumers.

Casual gamers will prefer the iPad and its portability. Serious gamers will prefer the title selections and computing power of the PS3/4

calilove

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
The way in which mobile gaming is progressing this is not dumb anymore..it's a reality.

You do realize that real games, are 10-20 gigs? Some are even larger.

Reality is the Ipad gets watered down clones, and thats the truth.

Another fact is these consoles are 6-7 years old, and they still kill the ipad.

These consoles are older than the original iphone for perspective.

The way computer hardware is made, it is literally a matter of physics, that the ipad will never have the same capabilities as a console or computer.

Not to mention the horrible controls of the touch screen.

And the people who dream of an apple tv combined with ipads as controllers are funny to, that would be like 2,200 for a terrible experience.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
No, not a chance

The PS3 /PS4 use industry leading desktop gpu variants

You think an ipad, with its small thermal envelope and non-gaming emphasis can hold a candle to systems whose sole purpose is intense gaming?

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
1.44MB floppy disks

In the past I purchased many games that came on 1.44MB floppy disks. They were 'real' games.
Boy you must be old to bring up the 1.44MB floppy disks. The games that were on the disks were poor quality graphics and very small and limited.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
He's talking about current generation games.

10-20 gigs is no sign of quality at all. Look at Tetris, one of the greatest and most played games of all time and one of the simplest.

I cant believe you missed my point.

----------

Boy you must be old to bring up the 1.44MB floppy disks. The games that were on the disks were poor quality graphics and very small and limited.

Since when do amazing graphics = great game?

Games were small & limited? Utter crap.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
10-20 gigs is no sign of quality at all. Look at Tetris, one of the greatest and most played games of all time and one of the simplest.

----------

I didn't say it was. How was any of what you said relevant to me saying we're talking about the size of current gen games? Not what we bought in the 90s. You're getting defensive over nothing. Or maybe you're confusing me for someone else but nowhere did I say size=quality

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden

Poor graphics? State of the Art at its time I would say. Small and limited? State of the art at its time I would say.

Let's take Doom 2 for example... 5 Discs great graphics great game!

calilove

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012

----------

My dumb phone from 2005 could play tetris, ITS BETTER THAN A PS4!!!!!

Its not about amazing graphics as much as depth of the experience. You will not find a game as deep as fallout or skyrim on an ipad. That depth takes a lot of space.

The fact that people get butt hurt over the fact an ipad is not better than a ps4 is insane. They are not in the same league as devices.

----------

In the past I purchased many games that came on 1.44MB floppy disks. They were 'real' games.

Snce when did the ps3/4 come with a floppy reader old timer?

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
no it cannot.

no.

stop.

Seriously +1

Stop

I didn't say it was. How was any of what you said relevant to me saying we're talking about the size of current gen games? Not what we bought in the 90s. You're getting defensive over nothing. Or maybe you're confusing me for someone else but nowhere did I say size=quality

Lol +200 Desire there are a lot of quality 5-20 gig games stop living in the 16th century guys @_@

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Just so you know, most games on PS 3 don't even pull out the best of what the console can offer in terms of Hardware and the games are already 10,20+ GB in size.

How would you expect to compare Ipad games with PS3 when 1TB harddisk alone not enough to hold many games.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
No, not a chance

You think an ipad, with its small thermal envelope and non-gaming emphasis can hold a candle to systems whose sole purpose is intense gaming?

The PS3 did use cutting edge technology both for the CPU and GPU when it came out (a half decade ago)..especially with its 'cell' technology. Xbox as well....though the Wii the story is a bit different. Considering the iPad 4 is clocked at what...1.3ghz/1.4? The GPU doubles the performance of the iPad 3s 255mhz GPU...the theoretical performance measures are significantly closer than you'd expect. Currently, Apple mandates less than 2GB per app maximum....but with more space, who knows what developers would be capable of.

Obviously PS4 and Xbox 720(?) will sport current guts and significantly outperform their older siblings. But today...regardless of thermal envelopes and other BS cited earlier in this thread....the iPads are definitely a thorn in both MS and Sony's ass. Games are getting very good in iOS and Android both. More casual, sure. No WOW or Starcraft exists yet. But their casual Modern Combat and GTA counterparts in the mobile world are extremely compelling. Especially if you're over 18, married...with children, mortgages and a 9-5 gig. We don't have 30 hours a week to build a 90 level Palladin in WOW.

See below for current console CPU and GPU clock speeds. And notice the, again...theoretical similarities between iPad 3/4 and the new Wii U---

"Hacker Marcan claims to have identified the clock speed and some characteristics of the CPU. Apparently, Nintendo uses a variant of the IBM PowerPC 750 processor with three cores and a clock speed of 1.243125 GHz per core. The Wii had a PowerPC 750CL processor running at 729 MHz. The Wii U's graphics clock is 549.999755 MHz. The Wii's Hollywood GPU was clocked at 243 MHz.

We know that clock speed isn't everything in performance, and the specs somewhat correspond to developer claims -- though some of which are apparently already hitting their limits. Still, the clock speeds are substantially below the rival processors, as the PS3′s Cell CPU and the Xbox 360′s Xenon chip are clocked at over 3 GHz per core. The graphics chip in the Xbox 360 runs at 500 MHz, while the PS3's GPU is clocked at 550 MHz."

Boy...you must be young and extremely ignorant to dismiss the 1.44MB floppy games as small, limited, and poor graphically. As you get older you'll understand. Many of your favorite artists will be the same you listened to between 14-20 years old. Same with games. Ultima 1,2,3 & 4 on my Apple IIe were some of the favorites in my life...and they were played on the 5 1/4 (6/700k?) floppies! Lol...I remember playing Microsoft flight simulator on 5.25" floppies on my IIe before there was 'Windows'

Sorry to ramble....point being, Apple and Android manufacturers actually have the advantage in this sector. With Sony and MS only updating their hardware every half decade or longer...the tablet manufacturers with yearly updates...the incredible growth of the 'mobile' computing landscape (where Moore's law also pertains)...these attributes will ONLY help to sustain the growth of both hardware AND software development on the iPad. The Surface. The Nexus...alon with our smart phones. Hell...my iPhone 5 is faster in almost every way than computers I owned just a half decade ago. With solid state storage, a GB of RAM, quad core CPU and GPU options....and unparalleled graphic displays....there's no question in my mind these devices WILL indeed surpass the performance of current generation consoles. Not just in performance, but consumer demand and ultimately the curiosity and the support of the developers. Storage size will increase. And the ability to steam wirelessly to your home entertainment system will eventually eliminate consoles completely

I do agree though...better controllability is essential. But already a third party, cottage industry has started to emerge. Check out iCade! Their April fools joke turned into a profitable venture.

If still not convinced...take a look at what nVidia is doing with their own Tegra 4 gaming (handheld) portable unit from CES! It's a very exciting time to be part of this period in technology. When I was 14, I had an Atari 2600. I'm the oldest of four brothers. The next bro down...Coleco Vision. Third brother at 16 had Sega. The youngest brother got a PS1 on his way to college. Only 14 years later...the evolution of both game consoles and portable options has completely changed! When I was riding the school bus...our idea of a iTouch or the Vita was a little football game from Mattel Electronics!...Bad graphics! HA!!....tgis game had little dashed red LED lines for players.

Some of you youngsters would do well to pay respects for the technology that came first. You'll get old too...and soon your kids will be laughing at you for enjoying HALO the way I do Defender, Asteroids or a good old fashioned pinball machine:)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
No, not a chance

You're joking right? A PS3 is weak by today's standard :)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

Did the N-Gage have enough juice to create PS 2 like graphics?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

Definitely not. PS3s have dedicated graphics with dedicated memory and not System on Chips. An ipad won't be able to handle the top line of graphic intensive 3d games.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
no it cannot.

no.

stop.

I think this says it best. They are completely different things. ipad is great for games but it's entirely different type of playing experience. Watered down graphics with cheap games and no physical controls, or full cinematic games on your tv with physical controls and amazing graphics. Hmmm...

I don't do any serious gaming on my iPad. Tried shooters like modern combat and nova, but it'll never feel the same with a touchscreen and they're so much more like "mobile phone games" that...well...it's just not that fun to me. I prefer big fps shooters to be played on my xbox or ps3 whereas smaller games are better on the ipad. Casual games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.