Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Tried listening many times.. audio stops 3 to 4 seconds after beginning. :(

Don't knock it. You're the lucky one. Perhaps your computer's audio system shut down in protest Zzzzzzzzz. :p

Edit - Actually, I take that back (partly). The comment about Sir Johnny working on iOS although not new, was good to hear and remind iOS haters that great things are (likely) on the way!

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
AAPL down over $7 so far this morning. Wall Street obviously didn't care for what Cook said (or didn't say). Seems everyone is reading into his comments about Apple not being a hardware company. I just took it as a way of distinguishing Apple from Samsung without mentioning Samsung by name. Plus Apple has never referred to itself as a hardware company so not surprising to hear Cook say it again.

Not sure exactly what Wall Street was expecting. No way Cook was going to make any news here, especially not when the annual shareholders meeting is a just over a week away.

pizz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Wonder if Steve would have done a Goldman Sachs technology conference?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
QFT. I wish the legal system could be reformed to stop this type of lawsuit...it's nonsense.

Obviously the same could be said about most lawsuits initiated by Apple. Te World would clearly be better off if they just gave money to charity instead of suing.

----------

Tim said Apple doesn't have the word "limit" in their vocabulary.

iPhone 4" screen size? :rolleyes:

He is just trying to sound as silly as Steve Jobs did :) No wonder AAPL is falling as he speaks (literally).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
All these folks pounding GS, remember that all the large investment banks used to be (for a hundred years) PARTNERSHIPS with unlimited liability and unlimited responsibility. First they were changed to public companies with very different motivations, then their access to the Fed window they already had, was more than tripled after 9/11. These "regulatory" facts matter.

This presentation by Cook while not disclosing "future plans" was nonetheless very instructive with their viewpoint on existing products expanding greatly to other markets, and being successful in the ones they are in.

Without saying it directly, he states pretty clearly they are working on further life changing products. So many of those applications rely on massive bandwidth, it seems until LTE offsets the crippleware IP networks in the USA and other countries, most folks simply will not have access.

Companies like Charter, Google, and Time-Warner are trying to deploy high bandwidth, but the inroads into rural is beyond weak.

However the point that has the highest revenue and margin impact was almost passed over without note. Apple customers tend to update devices regularly. In finance, we call that an annuity!

Rocketman

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Excellent interview Mr. Cook. Well done!

Your sarcasm may be be misunderstood by many. CEO interview after which company's shares drop more than 2% obviously should not be called excellent. 50 more interviews like that and Apple goes bankrupt :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My favorite quote from the article so far: If a company ever begins to use cannibalization as a major factor in their decision-making, it's the beginning of the end. Because if they don't, someone else will.

Source: The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business by Clayton M. Christensen.

The first time Apple applied this principle with full force was when the extremely successful iPod Mini was cancelled and replaced by the iPod Nano. This rule (and not following it) is what killed companies like Kodak, RIM, Nokia, and what's hurting Microsoft a lot.

Obviously the same could be said about most lawsuits initiated by Apple. Te World would clearly be better off if they just gave money to charity instead of suing.

That's what you think. That's not what Tim Cook thinks. Of course the world would be a better place if companies like Samsung started innovating instead of getting themselves sued for copying.

Your sarcasm may be be misunderstood by many. CEO interview after which company's shares drop more than 2% obviously should not be called excellent. 50 more interviews like that and Apple goes bankrupt :D

And what makes you think that Apple cares one bit about their share price? And what makes you think that Apple's share price has anything to do how well the company is doing? Apple just told Wallstreet to ******* off. "We welcome input from our shareholders and are discussing a broad array of options. " Absolutely brilliant. Kicked Einhorn right where it hurts most.

Last edited:

m3rcutio

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Most proud of our employees. I have the privilege every day of working with people who want to make the very best products in the world, and they're there to do not only great work, but the best work of their lives. It's a privilege of a lifetime for me to be there now.
Most proud of employees working for chicken feed (at least for the stores) :mad:

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Dear Tim,

Please s t f u. Don't talk because every time you open your mouth the stock tanks.

You're great. Apple is great. Your actions will speak better than words.

The words make the stock go down every time. Ouch!

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
As one of the most evil companies on the planet, whatever Goldman Sachs is against, I am for!!!

Get your hands off my stash!!!!......R. Waters / Money / Dark Side of The Moon

Tim should asked GS why they don't give some of the BILLIONS they pay themselves in bonuses every year, back to the stock holders as a dividend, instead of hoarding it away for themselves.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
In short -

Mr. Cook - "We have nothing new for one of our biggest shareholders"

GS - "Now we know what to do with the rest of our AAPL stock. Good bye Mr. Cook." :D

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Nice to hear Tim Cook again. I still have my reservation regarding Ive on software. He may be the best at design, but I wonder if he programed in his live. I know he or Scott does not do the programing, but if you lead, you need to know something about the path.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Tim is doing a great job and I've got a ton of confidence in Apple going forward. A lot of investors don't get Apple's ethos, and just want to see it get turned into another machine, pumping out product after product at the cost of quality. Good to see Tim putting them in their place, and showing that he will stand up for Apple's core philosophy, whether Wall Street likes it or not.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Tim keeps saying "We are constantly looking". Well make up your friggin mind man. Stop looking and start doing.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Anyone with any sense knows that CAREFUL and DELIBERATE choices are the way to run a company. If you just buy things for the sake of buying things, well, then you end up like HP.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That's what you think. That's not what Tim Cook thinks. Of course the world would be a better place if companies like Samsung started innovating instead of getting themselves sued for copying.

What;s your metric for innovations? Profits? Then, I guess, Exxon Mobil is the most innovative company in the World. If, on the other hand, we look at the more conventional metrics like the number of patents granted and the size of of R&D budget, Samsung leaves APple in the dust.

And what makes you think that Apple cares one bit about their share price? And what makes you think that Apple's share price has anything to do how well the company is doing? Apple just told Wallstreet to ******* off. "We welcome input from our shareholders and are discussing a broad array of options. " Absolutely brilliant. Kicked Einhorn right where it hurts most.

And what makes you think I care about what Apple thinks? This is not Apple employee forum. Many people here have AAPL shares. They definitely care about share price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.