Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Seeing if anybody else has experienced this problem. My 8GB Iphone (3 weeks old) is randomly vibrating. The pulse lasts about a second and happens every 2-5 minutes. Happens when I'm on the phone (which gives my ear quite a jolt), if it's in standby mode (the unlock screen comes to life), or if it's active (then I get the crossed out bell icon). Doesn't seem to happen if it's in vibrate mode...oops! There it went! So I guess it does.

Called Apple (and was told all technical help was out of the office and to call back during normal business hours...umm...it's 4pm EST). Called AT&T (and was told they've never heard of it but to try and restore it when I get home)

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this, as I won't be able to try the restore for another 5 hours.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
It'll vibrate every time you get an email or SMS when in vibrate mode. Are you saying this is happening without you getting any messages?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Are you sure your mail isn't set up because my phone keeps vibrating when I get mail.
Try holding down the sleep and home button to reset it.

oaktomas

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
also randomly vibrating

adding my voice to the first one here:

my phone is randomly vibrating, always thinking it's turning itself to vibrate mode (even if it's already in that mode). this happens when no message or reminder is happening and even if the phone is sitting still on a table, you can watch it repeatedly vibrate and the icon on the screen with the bell with a line through it appears.

restarting the phone gets rid of the problem for a while, leading me to believe this is a software issues and not something physically wrong with the switch.

haven't tried a full-on software restore yet, but that's probably a good idea. it DID however, do this before and after the latest update (1.1.1)

any ideas?

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Nope, doesn't do it when I have mail come in (I don't use it for mail as it always wants to download every $@#$$ piece of AOL mail, read, deleted or new). And I never do text messages (tool of satan and carpal tunnel).

I'm doing a restore of software (and thus I'm sure destroying all my ITonr ringtones...sigh) to be sure. 'feels' like a short of some kind (wondering if something got zapped last night. First time I ever plugged it into an outlet using the mini power cube instead of through the computer)

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Well, after spending a couple of hours yesterday restoring my IPhone's software (and no, there were no 3rd party apps on it, mr. moral minority), and updating it to 1.1.1 (and Itunes to 7.4.2, thus wiping out any and all ringtones that were any fun), it still is zapping my ear and pocket. And even more fun, it won't unlock/unfreeze/activate when a call comes in.

Went to the Apple Store and need to bring it plus the box et al to do a swap, which I'll be doing tomorrow.

Joedelta

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Yeah, mine started doing that. I did a software restore, and it seemed to help, but didn't completely solve the problem. Curious.

Another behavior before the restore was that it acted like the "volume up" button was being pressed regularly, so if I lowered the volume, it would immediately climb back to maximum.

The software restore fixed that, and substantially reduced the crazy mute/unmute vibration -- but doesn't seem to have completely eliminated it.

Odd.

vasche

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Same issue

I have same issue. When I shake phone it starts to vibrate as well. So it's unlikely a software issue.
Basically when switch is in the silent mode the phone reacts as if I were switching repeatedly to/from silent mode, the silent/normal mode icon appears and disappears.

Suspended
May 26, 2009
I had a similar problem and had to have my phone replaced sunday because the switch on the side was faulty.

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
having the same issue

i've been having the same issue as everyone else, my iphone seems to vibrate here and there, no new messages emails or anything. it has to be something with the iphone.

xyzstarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
this is extremely frustrating

after so many months since the problem was first reported, there is no official fix. :mad:

darylj

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
me too

my iPhone started having the same issues mentioned here after I dropped it one day. It appears to be a physical issue with the case. If I squeeze the phone casing slightly it fixes it for the moment leading me to believe the casing is effecting the button contacts.

hoekmaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
solution

Mine was doing the same thing so I took it into the local apple store. The 'genius' squeezed it on either side of the vibrate button when in vibrate mode and it activated the vibrator so he gave me a new device. Thankfully it was still under warranty. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Genius.

roryh

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
I figured out something...

Well, mine began to vibrate one day. I figured out if you put a filter on your email (ie gmail) to sort things out into different folders or move into "trash", then it won't show up in your inbox, but it will still vibrate when you get that new mail.

So check to see if you have this sort of set up. Turned out to be my cause of vibrating.

ZoltanS

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
fix

My iPhone started randomly vibrating. I finally figured out the fix when I went to "Settings", "Mail Contacts Calendars". I scrolled to the very bottom where it says "Notes". The "Default Account" was set to my yahoo email address. I checked "On My Phone", and that did the trick.

rosilani

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
I am trying to find some sort of explanation for this and there doesnt seem to be anything that fits with whats happening to me.

My phone has a random vibrate. I honestly cant tell you if it would make a sound or not as i constantly have it on silent.

i know its got nothing to do with the silent switch because this happens only when its lying on a surface and nothing is touching it.

Its also not one of those phantom vibrate things where i am expecting it to go off because i never expect msg or calls.

When i check my phone there are no msg, no emails, no app notifications, nothing. The screen doesnt even light up. and its not an alarm either.

The weirdest thing about it is it happens at exactly 08:01 every morning. No other time.

I will be getting ready in the morning minding my own business when all of a sudden i hear a buzz, check my phone and nothing. its starting to creep me out. i cant find an explanation for it. if it were happening frequently and sporadically then i would assume something faulty but its always exactly at 08:01 am.

Redbeard25

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2003
Check your apps

I got caught by this.

I just installed the new Gmail app. It turned out to be the vibration culprit. Turned sound off in notifications and the buzz is gone.

amg53

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Got the same problem yesterday and it was the mail app. It would fetch every hour and vibrate shortly (not the normal long vibration of a notification). In iOS 6, just go to settings > notifications > mail > select the email inbox (gmail, yahoo, et cetera) > scroll down to new mail sound > scroll up to vibration and select none. All fixed!

Oldhonky

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
I have the same problem on my iphone 3GS. I've tried all the tips above none of them works for me. I've also turned off all notifications.

In addition when my phone is set to ring (mute off) it doesn't it lights up, and if I switch the mute on then off again whilst it is lit up it starts ringing.

Any ideas?

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Sounds like you have an alarm set to go off at 08:01am.;)

Lol got a good chuckle from this :)

Seriously someone needs to film their iPhone with a camera so we have proof of this. Until then seems like phantom vibration syndrome :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.