Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Only a matter of time before someone rips this off and people here start griping that Apple is "stifling innovation." I don't even see the point of patents anymore.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Apparently it is. The US Patent office is a mess, but they aren't granting patents that would be so obviously similar to something that has been patented previously.

Being published in an ARRL handbook would constitute "prior art", not a prior patent.

However, patents are routinely granted when they are nothing but an improvement on an earlier patent. Incorporating a slot antenna into a computer and/or a cell phone would be considered patentable, separate from a slot antenna patent (or prior art).

-jeffB

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
So what happens when you drop your phone and damage the external slots?

That's what I'm wondering. If they're only microns wide, it seems like they'd be terribly prone to distortion from even slight stresses on the case. Maybe they'd have a stiff, nonconductive backing reinforcement?

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Current devices may contain antennas for GSM, 3G/LTE, GPS, wifi and Bluetooth, though some of these may be combined. The iPhone 5, for example, uses just two antennas for the five functions, using rapid frequency switching to enable one antenna to do two jobs. Eliminating the need for internal antenna space altogether would, though, allow for slimmer and smaller devices.

Apple's interest in the possibility of implementing microslot antennas dates back to at least 2007 when the patent was filed, meaning that the concept may be requiring significant refinement before arriving in a shipping product or may have been scrapped entirely by this point. Still, it is clear that Apple is continuing to look for ways to handle the increasing complexity of wireless communications while maintaining its design goals for size and aesthetics.

Article Link: Apple Patents Nearly Invisible 'Microslot Antennas' Allowing for Smaller Devices

Some of the original patents for slot antennas date back to 1938. This particular implementation is not very novel, except the slot widths are less than I've used before (I've looked at 0.5mm designs previously). IIRC the efficiency goes down a bit with small slot widths (high Rrad i think). Loads of prior art on this.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Only a matter of time before someone rips this off and people here start griping that Apple is "stifling innovation." I don't even see the point of patents anymore.

Like they ripped off Apple's current antenna design right? Oh wait, nobody did this because it's crappy. Becaus of this "great" design (at least partly) iPhone is the only LTE-enabled phone on Verizon that is uncapable of simultaneous voice and data transfer. The only reason for such design is Apple's preference for form over function. Nobody else does it.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'm betting the directionality concerns would prohibit you from placing this in a conductive medium such as aluminum.

TheNextBigThing

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
So that you do not need your MBA/MBP AND your iPhone!? Tim Cook says: Nooooooooo!

;-)

Maybe 3-5 years from now, I'll not be bringing with me my broadband prepaid usb stick every-time I go out with my Macbook Pro. I mean, I have to insert the usb broadband connection, eject, insert, eject...

Year 2016: Inserting a broadband usb stick to your Mac is a thing of the past. 4G LTE, built-in on every Mac. :rolleyes:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
This is great news. It proves that Apple took Antennagate seriously & decided to learn to build high quality functional antennas. I wonder how long it will take for them to implement the new design.

You don’t read the content before posting, do you? This patent was filed back in 2007.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007

Patents ENCOURAGE innovation because they protect companies that spend their own dollars on R & D.

That patent helps companies recover R & D costs. Without that patent other companies would swoop in and steal that idea at zero expense.... which would prohibit the inventor from recouping their R & D costs. If you don't have that patent protection, there is NO incentive for a company to spend billions of dollars trying to invent the next wheel. Their R & D expenses would essentially bring zero profit for them.... and would allow copycat companies a free ride. This would all STIFLE innovation by reducing the amount spent on R & D. Patents actually protect companies that work hard to find something new. Without that protection their R & D is basically a free gift to their competitors.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
You ever squint and try and see the tiny holes the pulsing light on your laptop hides behind. Crazy!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
MacRumors said:
antenna.png
This looks a bit like the drawing in:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/prototype-3g-macbook-pro-actually-had-a-magsafe-antenna/

...just with a different antenna.

Probably from the same Apple internal lab?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013

Just what I was thinking. When someone copies Apple, Apple loses either way.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
weird

I've never understood why this is such a big problem when the entire front of the device is glass. But those Apple engineers are pretty bright folks, so I suppose it is an issue.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm always simultaneously fascinated & hopeful when I see patents come through like this. Really makes me curious and optimistic as to the continued and infinite possibilities in technology.

Same here; It's reassuring to hear, there's all kinds research going on all the time, even if some of it, for various reasons, never makes it to market.

....this could also create the possibility of an all-aluminum case.....it is clear that Apple is continuing to look for ways to handle the increasing complexity of wireless communications while maintaining its design goals for size and aesthetics.

Article Link: Apple Patents Nearly Invisible 'Microslot Antennas' Allowing for Smaller Devices

Maybe there's a way to also implement this antenna technology in an all-aluminum Time Capsule, and solve all the pre-mature failure problems with those units (due to built-in power supplies overheating).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.