Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I did it! The fan assy was a bear to get off for sure, but I'm typing this on my new 8 core Mac Pro 1,1... I'm looking for the flashing tool for the EFI on netkas... anyone have a link handy!

The firmware tool to upgrade 1,1 to the 2,1 firmware is here: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

You will need to login to the forum to be able to download it (create an account if you don't already have one).

frjonah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
The firmware tool to upgrade 1,1 to the 2,1 firmware is here: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

You will need to login to the forum to be able to download it (create an account if you don't already have one).

I know I should know this but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere... Can I install any optical drive in place of the failed Sony drive from my Mac Pro or do I need some special "Mac compatible" drive... I can see that I could install either IDE or sata since there are those available ports in the motherboard...

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I know I should know this but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere... Can I install any optical drive in place of the failed Sony drive from my Mac Pro or do I need some special "Mac compatible" drive... I can see that I could install either IDE or sata since there are those available ports in the motherboard...

just put a drive in it..

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Hmm... That would drive me nuts :) Could you temporarily tether to your phone or something to get around that? You don't need to be connected to the net for the firmware flash, just for the creation of the ramdisk, which took about 60s on my slow dsl connection...

Of course, the big question behind all of this is: is performance hindered in any way by using the 5355s with the Mac Pro 1,1 firmware? I suspected it might be given the "unknown" designation of the processors in About This Mac, but don't have a clue if that would translate into underutilization somehow.

No cell phone, so no go there. I tried hooking it up to a MacBook Pro and using its wireless connection, but I got the same error message. I might see if a co-worker has a phone I could tether to and try that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.