Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
I've been trying for a long long time to find a refurb Mini, and Apple Store is always always out of stock on them. I got the widget for the refurb store, and the best I can do is a quad core server for $759, which I cannot afford. The Mini they show you for $459 is never ever there.

So I've tried every way I could think of to find a used one, but for some reason there are none at all for sale anywhere near me, in Naples FL, but there are plenty of them a 500 mile round trip away or more.

After months of this I've concluded that the demand for this machine is insanely strong. I was going to drive all the way up to Sarasota to buy one I found on CL for $450, but the guy selling it won't return my calls or answer my emails, so I'm assuming he sold it and hasn't bothered to delete the ad. There's one in Miami Beach, but that's on the other side of the state, and he won't ship.

Of course I've also come across a bunch of scammers purporting to have them cheap too, one site said $250 for a brand new Mini. Yeah, right!

So gosh, is this the most wanted computer in the world or what?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I've been trying for a long long time to find a refurb Mini, and Apple Store is always always out of stock on them. I got the widget for the refurb store, and the best I can do is a quad core server for $759, which I cannot afford. The Mini they show you for $459 is never ever there.

So I've tried every way I could think of to find a used one, but for some reason there are none at all for sale anywhere near me, in Naples FL, but there are plenty of them a 500 mile round trip away or more.

After months of this I've concluded that the demand for this machine is insanely strong. I was going to drive all the way up to Sarasota to buy one I found on CL for $450, but the guy selling it won't return my calls or answer my emails, so I'm assuming he sold it and hasn't bothered to delete the ad. There's one in Miami Beach, but that's on the other side of the state, and he won't ship.

Of course I've also come across a bunch of scammers purporting to have them cheap too, one site said $250 for a brand new Mini. Yeah, right!

So gosh, is this the most wanted computer in the world or what?

this is the direct link

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

click it at 11am 12pm 1pm 2pm

every day. the widget is too slow items are sold out.

below are some of the good refurbs all out of stock

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC270LL/A

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC815LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD387LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

I used to sell a lot of them on ebay, but I cut back quite a bit.

My wife retired and I spend more time with her.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
I used to sell a lot of them on ebay, but I cut back quite a bit.

My wife retired and I spend more time with her.

Yeah, I had those links, didn't know the times to check though, and you seem to be right about the widget. I've looked on eBay, but everyone seems to want so much for them that by the time I pay for shipping I might as well just go to the Apple Store here and buy a new one.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Yeah, I had those links, didn't know the times to check though, and you seem to be right about the widget. I've looked on eBay, but everyone seems to want so much for them that by the time I pay for shipping I might as well just go to the Apple Store here and buy a new one.

Yeah, unless you live in tax free NH or DE, buying refurb always costs a bit more with Tax. For the few bucks more I'd buy new vs stalking the refurb site. Places like MacConnection are selling the base model for $550. BH Photo sells it for more like $590, but offers free Parallels and very discounted AppleCare.

Check Appleinsider.com and see their pricing matrix at the very top of the site.

HungryWolf

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
I've never had a problem with refurb.me

I've used it three times, most recently with a mid-2011 i5 Mini about two weeks ago. I think the longest I've waited between setting the alert and buying is about two weeks when my 2010 was really popular following the optical drive removal in 2011.

You've got to be ready to pull the trigger the second you get the email.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
They where on sale last week the base 2012 refurb it was on there for like a day
You gotta check each day

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
my new mini just arrived today and its great. I went over this in another topic. you can buy a new mini for $564 from bandh.com no tax and free shipping. after paying tax on a refurb from apple store, bandh is only $20 more, plus you can get a free copy of paraells8 and get applecare for only $52! Apple charges $149

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Check everyday. The 2012s have been on there a couple rounds already. If you check everyday you should be able to catch them.

----------

my new mini just arrived today and its great. I went over this in another topic. you can buy a new mini for $564 from bandh.com no tax and free shipping. after paying tax on a refurb from apple store, bandh is only $20 more, plus you can get a free copy of paraells8 and get applecare for only $52! Apple charges $149

That's an awesome deal if you're looking for the base. But refurb is still the way to go for the mid Mini. Also, Discover card gives 5% cash back on the Apple store and not B&H. There are a lot of factors.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i just checked the bandh website for the mid level mini. For $831 (no tax, free s/h) your get the mid mini (2.3 i7) with free parallels and applecare for only $52. The sweet deal on applecare is the selling point. Even if you buy a refurb from apple, they will probably charge tax and charge $149 for applecare.

I should get a commission for this post

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Well from all I've found out today it looks like eBay is a losing proposition as regards the Apple Store refurbs since the guys marketing Minis on eBay scoop them all up and sell them for too much being that they are just out to make all the money they can on it, and there really are no deals to be had on this machine at all, and if you try to find a deal for a good price you will get scammed or gouged by these greedy pigs.

Any deal you can find will be someone trying to scam you or gouge you. There really is no realistic choice other than to just go to your local Apple Store and buy it new.

I really don't think much of my own species at this point, and my what I've been finding out confirms that by a very wide margin dogs are much better people than humans.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Well from all I've found out today it looks like eBay is a losing proposition as regards the Apple Store refurbs since the guys marketing Minis on eBay scoop them all up and sell them for too much being that they are just out to make all the money they can on it, and there really are no deals to be had on this machine at all, and if you try to find a deal for a good price you will get scammed or gouged by these greedy pigs.

Any deal you can find will be someone trying to scam you or gouge you. There really is no realistic choice other than to just go to your local Apple Store and buy it new.

I really don't think much of my own species at this point, and my what I've been finding out confirms that by a very wide margin dogs are much better people than humans.

Are you alright ?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Wow dude, you should probably seek help if that's your attitude. It's a computer for gosh sakes. Let's keep this in perspective! By the time you add tax to a quad mini, you can get brand new for only about $70 more new (if you are in a state that tax isn't charged)....

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Wow dude, you should probably seek help if that's your attitude. It's a computer for gosh sakes. Let's keep this in perspective! By the time you add tax to a quad mini, you can get brand new for only about $70 more new (if you are in a state that tax isn't charged)....

I have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot get a Mac Mini for anything like that price that is worth having, and not anywhere near it. You cannot even get it for $600 unless you buy a G4, which is not at all worth having.

I am on a G4 now, and I am being shut out of one website after another because they no longer support it, and do not support the G4 version of Adobe flash player for them. Technology marches on, and everyone of us knows it. The G4 is dead.

I have to have an Intel Mac now, or I am shut out of websites I must have access to, and I'm am more than a little tired of my G4's many limitations and shortcomings. Surely you are aware of this.

Everyone else is, quite obviously, as they are all gouging anyone they can for a new generation Mac Mini.

I will just go buy a new one from the Apple Store here in town, rather than pay some greedy pig for a used one. I am surprised at the level of hypocrisy I find here among you Mac people. So Leftist, and yet so all about the MONEY.

As much of it as you can squeeze out of anyone at all.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

HERE is a good deal on a quad

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MD388LL_SL_A/

783 usa this code ATJANDR

GET 10 off price 773 no tax to all but NY. link to the pruchase with your discover card get 5% rebate so the 773 becomes $735.00.

new sealed full 1 year warranty and it ships to FL for free.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Are you alright ?
!. I think I just need to get a Windows box and say goodbye to the lot of you.

I might have to get another 2tb drive and start moving my 8.2tb of video over to Windows drives, but the week of work and time invested would be well worth it.

You Leftist Mac people are repellent to me. You talk the talk, but when it comes down to it you are all about the money like anyone else. Bunch of hypocrites!

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you are outside of California, try:
portableone.com

No financial interest, but I got what I was looking for from them (they do custom configurations as well), best price around, free shipping, no tax charged outside of CA...

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If you are outside of California, try:
portableone.com

No financial interest, but I got what I was looking for from them (they do custom configurations as well), best price around, free shipping, no tax charged outside of CA...

Yep - good (and relatively unknown) source. I bought my Mini and Applecare (they sell Applecare just as cheap as the Gov't employee program) from them...as you said, no tax and free shipping.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
!. I think I just need to get a Windows box and say goodbye to the lot of you.

I might have to get another 2tb drive and start moving my 8.2tb of video over to Windows drives, but the week of work and time invested would be well worth it.

You Leftist Mac people are repellent to me. You talk the talk, but when it comes down to it you are all about the money like anyone else. Bunch of hypocrites!

the only person that has been focused on money here is you. lots of people posted current deals to try and help you yet you are trying to start a fight with no one in particular. if you want to find the cheapest machine possible that will have the lowest possible resale value then windows would be a good choice for you. For many its about alot more then hardware its software too. osx is a better experience to me then windows. osx is also a better build quality. go windows if you like. you are not the first person to choose the cheapest solution possible.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Keep checking on the Apple refurb store regularly. There were a bunch of them up for much of last week. The $459 model you mentioned was up for a short amount of time, this is true, but the $509 model was up for several days. (I know this for a fact because I kept checking and was considering buying one.) The $509 model is a better deal anyway because it's the current model with USB3.0 and has twice the RAM for an extra $50.

----------

1) I don't know why you're calling out liberals in this thread. Nobody has said anything that has anything remotely to do with politics.

2) It sounds like your complaint is about people buying cheap Macs and reselling them for a profit. I don't exactly see how that's a problem.

3) You posted here with the implication you were looking for recomendations or solutions to your conundrum and many people have attempted to help you and have been met with nothing but hostility. If all you're looking to do is complain then this might not be the right board.

idyfohu

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Just an FYI...this is the best deal I've seen personally the last few days.

I just ordered a 2.3 i7 Mini from B&H for $779 (FS + No Tax) and then I'm getting Parallel 8 for free), which I can sell for $40, so I'll basically be in it for $749 and I don't have to wait. Hopefully it helps someone. :) I get my mini to replace my 2012 MBP next week and can't wait.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Just as a heads up... I kept going to http://www.bhphotovideo.com trying to figure out how everyone is getting applecare for 52 instead of the 104 it listed in the radio box.

You have to click on "Instant Savings -> Computer Accessories" and you'll see the discounted rate.

:)

--rob

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit

This is just too funny.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Use refurb.me to setup email notifications on the model you want and they will shoot you a message next time it comes back in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.