Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Uh HELLO, it's YOUR point you're trying to make, I'm not Googling anything. If you can't fully prove your point outside of forums which represent less than 1/10th of a percent of purchasing customers then don't make blanket statements. Thanks. :p

----------

I'm tired :eek:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well you say you have an iPad 3 - but how does Henry really know you do. Maybe you're lying just to negate his comment.

You could be correct! But then why post here at all Sam? Can you really believe anything you read? Can you factual check anything posted here by other posters? So what do you suggest? I wasn't disagreeing with that post.....go argue with someone else....

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I have an iPad 3...i love it and give it very high satifaction marks. I use it to read all the time! BUT....have you ever tried to read outdoors? Its almost impossoble in any kind of light. My GF has a Kindle and she can read anything outdoors even in bright sunlight. But......while she is doing that...i can also get email...catch up on facebook...browse the internet.....so my point is the Kindle has a very specific niche and it fills it nicely. But my ipad does soooo much more...

Absolutely and I agree with your points. There's also one extra point that gives you (the iPad 3 user) the upper hand, nighttime viewing. Unless your GF is sitting near a lamp or has the room well lit, she can't read that Kindle too well, unless it's a Kindle Fire or Paperwhite, but then it holds no reading advantage over the iPad.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You could be correct! But then why post here at all Sam? Can you really believe anything you read? Can you factual check anything posted here by other posters? So what do you suggest? I wasn't disagreeing with that post.....go argue with someone else....

Sarcasm, Jamezr. Scroll up and see what he accused me of. I was being snarky about his rebuttal.

----------

or Paperwhite, but then it holds no reading advantage over the iPad.

Why does a paperwhite hold no advantage then?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
E-Ink illumination is difficult, especially since it's using LED's, at that point the iPad will be a much easier solution on the eyes for people that do more night reading. Thanks. ;)

But reading in daylight is still a problem for the iPad, right? So doesn't the Kindle Paperwhite still hold at least one advantage?

Renzatic

Suspended
E-Ink illumination is difficult, especially since it's using LED's, at that point the iPad will be a much easier solution on the eyes for people that do more night reading. Thanks. ;)

No it's not. You literally just have to shine a light on it. E-Ink is a solid medium using a solid, non-transparent background. It takes to external light sources quite nicely.

Whereas reading an iPad or any LCD based device in the dark isn't quite as easy on the eyes, because you're shining a bright light in a dark room directly into your face. It's like directly staring into a flashlight in a cave.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
But reading in daylight is still a problem for the iPad, right? So doesn't the Kindle Paperwhite still hold at least one advantage?

Reading in DAYLIGHT is not even a problem, unless you're referring to outdoors at the pool or direct sunlight, and I wasn't addressing your question in regards to that now was I? You asked about how the Kindle Paperweight ;) wasn't an advantage to the iPad for night viewing and I answered your question. Did I strike a nerve because you couldn't rebuttal it other than now coming up with just the opposite of the conversation? :D

No it's not. You literally just have to shine a light on it. E-Ink is a solid medium using a solid, non-transparent background. It takes to external light sources quite nicely.

Whereas reading an iPad or any LCD based device in the dark isn't quite as easy on the eyes, because you're shining a bright light in a dark room directly into your face. It's like directly staring into a flashlight in a cave.

Maybe if you followed the thread properly you'd be replying me properly. I didn't mention anything about the Kindle not doing well around lit rooms, of course it does. I was talking about the Kindle Paperwhite which isn't easy on the eyes for night viewing therefore holds no advantage over the iPad for someone who does more reading at night.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Reading in DAYLIGHT is not even a problem, unless you're referring to outdoors at the pool or direct sunlight, and I wasn't addressing your question in regards to that now was I? You asked about how the Kindle Paperweight ;) wasn't an advantage to the iPad for night viewing and I answered your question. Did I strike a nerve because you couldn't rebuttal it other than now coming up with just the opposite of the conversation? :D

Maybe if you followed the thread properly you'd be replying me properly. I didn't mention anything about the Kindle not doing well around lit rooms, of course it does. I was talking about the Kindle Paperwhite which isn't easy on the eyes for night viewing.

You like to talk in twists and turns - and then tell people that's what they are doing.

We're following the thread fine.

So now you're stating that the Paperwhite isn't easy on the eyes for night viewing? Ok.

Haswell

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
USA
Every time I hear the talk about a cheap iPhone, I swear I want to scream.

The problem with the iPhone isn't the price. It's the monthly fees that's the problem (at least in the USA). $90 a month for a smartphone is outrageous.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Okay this is an excellent insight for me today.

Every time Tim speaks in public, I'm gonna watch the stock nosedive and buy some more.

Also every time AAPL releases earnings, I'm gonna watch the stock to down and buy some more.

And then I'll have lots of APPL stock...

....crickets....

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Translation:
iPhone with a larger screen and half HD (1280x720) or full HD (1920x1080) resolution in 2013/2014.

I was thinking the same thing. That was pretty weak, even for a non-answer. It's about as close to "we're working on a bigger phone" as you can get without outright saying it.

I know that they 'don't compete on prices and specs' but with every friggin' Android phone this year at 5" 1080p screens (or larger) it's inevitable.... And I'll be first in line.

----------

Every time I hear the talk about a cheap iPhone, I swear I want to scream.

The problem with the iPhone isn't the price. It's the monthly fees that's the problem (at least in the USA). $90 a month for a smartphone is outrageous.

It will get better - eventually. We're headed towards cable, internet, and cellular data convergence. When that happens it'll probably be cheaper, mostly because I don't see most people willing to spend $40-$50 per device in the house (which would include not just phones and tablets, but computers, TVs, and game consoles). The cost will HAVE to come down.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
You're confusing a good quality interview, which it was, with saying exactly what the stockholders want to hear, which it wasn't. Sorry that you got it wrong as usual and sorry that Apple is not going down like you've always dreamed of. :D

Cats like him stay on forums such as this ONLY to disparage Apple products and the people that like using them. Nearly every post that I have read from him has been a slam on Apple, Inc.

I find it sad. Pathetic, actually.

----------

Ping. Maps for many. Screen issues. Hard drive issue. FCPX when it was first released. etc..

Every initiative is not initially successful, and sometime not successful at all.

Is it a crime to be wrong? What corporations are more successful, particularly at this scale?

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
"How about Jonathan Ive? How's he coming with that new Mac Pro?"

I'm sure he's doing fine. I think you need to take a look at the roadmap for XEON processors, Intel's holding up the next gen chips, which start releasing within the next couple of months. I'm sure what they'll end up doing is announcing the product, only being able to ship the entry level models as Intel begins to ship processors. They always have more of the slower cheaper chips first until the yields for the more expensive faster chips are available. Typical semiconductor way of doing business. My guess? March we MIGHT hear of something. Apple TYPICALLY makes product announcement in and around the second week of the last month of each quarter. At least that what's they did last year, with the exception of the IPad mini, which was the first month of the quarter because it was the Christmas quarter.

They didn't make any announcements in Jan, and it seems as though they are still dealing with the existing product lines to ensure proper product flow.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
And this would be important because....??:confused:

News Flash: Steve Jobs Is Dead...

Because if Steve never talk to goldman, that means this is Tim doing. And his way of doing things now, which would break from Steve tradition ( I know this is not a bad thing, but just saying that Apple is really moving away from Steve's Apple into Tim's Apple)

I seem to recall that the only thing that Steve would talk to the press was because of a product launch or that D conference by wsj, cant tell any other interview.

And lately Tim has been on talking to the press, interviews, and now goldman. Wonder if its because of the falling stock price. Just curious is all.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I love to read transcripts of Tim's talks, it's much easier to 'get' what he's saying. His delivery always seems awkward to listen to.

I like that he's taking the 'perfect fit' theme seriously. The British head of retail was an utter disaster and I think it's because Tim wanted to wring a few more bucks out of retail. I hope he learned from his mistake.

I continue to be interested in whether market share is important to Tim. A cheap iPhone would indicate that it is. Time will tell...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Here's a wider shot of Cook at the SOTU in 2-13.

130212214720-sotu-guests-2013-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Rocketman

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Sorry, I don't think the old "but they were just making money for shareholders" argument is gonna fly considering the financial catastrophe of 2008. Everyone who had a finger in the subprime pie knew what they were doing was extremely risky, and when it all fell apart, their buddies in Washington were quick with the cash. Sure, they may have paid it back, but that doesn't excuse the systemic failure of the financial system and its regulatory structure (I heard the running joke on The Hill is that the Treasury Dept is just another branch of Goldman).

I doubt those people even think they did anything wrong...

When the government doesn't regulate, a company will, and ALWAYS will stoop to the lowest available way to make money. The board makes them. There are rare exceptions, but it's not going to happen any other way.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
When the government doesn't regulate, a company will, and ALWAYS will stoop to the lowest available way to make money. The board makes them. There are rare exceptions, but it's not going to happen any other way.

Maybe, but isn't that a bit cynical? There are profitable retailers that don't just follow Walmart's lead and race to the bottom by underpaying their employees. A Harvard Business Review contributor wrote an article a few months ago and basically said she didn't go to Walmart because she didn't want her children to learn that version of capitalism and that method of managing employees.

I thought it was an interesting point, and, sure, maybe it's idealistic and naive, but the sentiment is born out of a desire for a healthier, more symbiotic version of capitalism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.