Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daves0024

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I just purchased the new iMac running Mountain Lion. Every time I try to log off, I get an error message saying the mail app will not let it log off. Then I have to force close the mail app. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I just purchased the new iMac running Mountain Lion. Every time I try to log off, I get an error message saying the mail app will not let it log off. Then I have to force close the mail app. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

What happens if you try to quit Mail before you attempt to log out? Is it hanging, so you need to force quit it then?

Daves0024

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Yes, it gives me a pop up box saying the mail app will not let it close......Then I force close it and I can log off or shut down

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Yes, it gives me a pop up box saying the mail app will not let it close......Then I force close it and I can log off or shut down

Forget about the issue of logging out. You log in. You open Mail. Can you then quit Mail without force quitting?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
yes, I can send mail and I am receiving mail

When you force quit, do you receive the option of sending a report to Apple? If you choose to do so, you may see a crash/hang report. You could post that top portion of that here. Don't use more than one post for the report.

Daves0024

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
There is no report. The mail app force quits and then I can log off or shut down. The force quit works every time, I just didn't want to do that.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
There is no report. The mail app force quits and then I can log off or shut down. The force quit works every time, I just didn't want to do that.

Not much to go on. Have you installed any third-party Mail plug-ins? Is Mail trying to connect to a mail server and having trouble?

You might try rebuilding your inbox. While inbox is selected, choose Mailbox in the menu bar and then Rebuild. I suppose you could do the same with your Sent mail and Trash mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.