Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's AllThingsD Dive Into Media Conference, HBO's Eric Kessler announced that from this moment forward, HBO subscribers will be able to use AirPlay with the HBO Go app.

"Our longterm goal for Go is to be on all devices all platforms," said Kessler. HBO Go is HBO's streaming service that allows subscribers to watch HBO content on PCs, tablets, and consoles.

hbogo2.jpg
At this time, HBO Go is not available on the Apple TV, but an app is available for the iPad and the iPhone. With today's changes, iDevices are able to stream HBO Go content to the Apple TV using AirPlay, but the two companies are planning to bring a native HBO Go app to the Apple TV.

"We will get on Apple TV as we've said all along," Kessler said.

Currently, the Apple TV only supports streaming content from subscription apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus, but Apple has been making efforts to expand its content offerings.

Article Link: HBO Now Allows Subscribers to Stream HBO Go to Apple TV using AirPlay

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Always had horrid video quality when I've tried AirPlay from an iOS device to Apple TV, but will give this a go.

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
That's a decent sized domino to fall as we wait for a la carte media distribution to become the norm.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Only on a mac 2011 or newer! :rolleyes:

Edit: Alright alright, you got me... I didn't read the article correctly :eek:. I'm still bitter about not being able to use Airplay with my 2010 MBP...

Last edited:

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I will stick with HBOGo through my 1080P SmartTV. Good move to allow the app to be airplayed though, a few weeks too late since I JB my ipad and can airplay HBOGO already...

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
So I can use my iOS device when it is connected to my home network, the same network that is connected to my cable internet service, to AirPlay HBO to my TV now? How about just bypassing all of that by either turning on my cable box or introducing an app for the TV?

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
If they did this in the context of a worldwide region then I would be impressed, otherwise its a big yawn.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
That's a decent sized domino to fall as we wait for a la carte media distribution to become the norm.

Huh? All they're doing is providing their customers access to a service they already pay for, and apparently expecting those customers to wait with bated breath. You can't access HBO Go without subscribing to a traditional cable TV service and paying for the traditional HBO premium channel tier.

I have my doubts that the ancient channels and cable companies will ever loosen their grip in a way that would let someone like Apple give us a modern experience, so at this point it's probably up to Netflix and others to make them obsolete.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
HBO subscribers will be able to use AirPlay with the HBO Go app.

Great! Now where do I send my subscription money?
...don't say "your local cable provider", I don't want to subscribe to their smorgasbord of tripe, I want HBO - no more, no less, for my subscription money.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
So I can use my iOS device when it is connected to my home network, the same network that is connected to my cable internet service, to AirPlay HBO to my TV now? How about just bypassing all of that by either turning on my cable box or introducing an app for the TV?

For someone like me, I don't have a cable box upstairs and I only keep an Apple TV hooked to it, so it is helpful. That and the fact I cancelled HBO 3 months ago, but they never shut of the HBOGO app on my account :)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Unlike the Cox iPad app, I believe this works no matter where you are:

Minimum 3G connection is required for viewing on mobile devices.

Granted, the AppleTV and iPad/iPhone will have to be on the same WiFi subnet, but that's not an insurmountable problem...

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is really insignificant. Since you still need to get a cable package to be able to then get HBO I'll just keep using my set top box -- which is easier.

If a stand alone pay HBO app was created then THAT would be awesome. I'd gladly pay $20 or $25 a month for that alone and be done with all the crap cable channels I never watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.