Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Anybody too suffering from heat and battery drain issues after this upgrade?

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Nope, battery gets me through a whole day with about 10% left at the end of the night and that's with a fair bit if usage with everything turned on and no heating up of the phone at all :)

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
What I noticed is that my phone now has trouble jumping from 4G to LTE in LTE coverage areas. This was not an issue for me prior to 6.1. I'm also seeing a decrease in signal strength and "Searching" in my office where I've always had great service (i5 ATT in Manhattan). My battery left at end of day with 6.1 is less with similar usage patterns, likely because of this.

I updated through iTunes and then restored from an iCloud backup (which was a backup created new under 6.0).

I'm hoping for a 6.1.1 updated for the i5 as my issues seem similar to what was addressed in the 4s update.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Do you have an Exchange email account set up on your phone? This has been suspected of being the cause of the battery drain issue due to excessive network communication. My iPhone 5 has had worse battery life on 6.1 and I'm using Exchange.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you have an Exchange email account set up on your phone? This has been suspected of being the cause of the battery drain issue due to excessive network communication. My iPhone 5 has had worse battery life on 6.1 and I'm using Exchange.
To be specific, the Exchange-related issue that seems to be present in iOS 6.1 is around the calendar and events handling (vs. mail or something like that).

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
To be specific, the Exchange-related issue that seems to be present in iOS 6.1 is around the calendar and events handling (vs. mail or something like that).

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I also have Exchange calendar sync set up.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
What I noticed is that my phone now has trouble jumping from 4G to LTE in LTE coverage areas. This was not an issue for me prior to 6.1. I'm also seeing a decrease in signal strength and "Searching" in my office where I've always had great service (i5 ATT in Manhattan). My battery left at end of day with 6.1 is less with similar usage patterns, likely because of this.

I updated through iTunes and then restored from an iCloud backup (which was a backup created new under 6.0).

I'm hoping for a 6.1.1 updated for the i5 as my issues seem similar to what was addressed in the 4s update.

I went most of today on 3G in areas I always get reasonable LTE so I wonder if this is related. Otherwise 6.1 seems fine so far!

gibbo82

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
My iPhone 5 battery life on 6.1 is terrible! :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360707977.589827.jpg

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I have removed my gmail and yahoo email that were setup in the exchange and now using the Individual apps instead. Result is no more battery drain and no heating

.... But I am no longer able to email my attachments straight from other apps using the share option.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Not on my iPhone5. Last week I had an iPhone 4 upgraded at first availability, and it went from 48 to 4 hours. Really, just sitting there. I deleted a bunch of apps I never used, and things returned to normal. Note that an app I did keep was Exchange email/calendar. Sunday switched to an iPhone5. Upgraded to 6.1. Still have Exchange on it. After 48 hours, still about 1/3 battery left. You may want to check any GPS-using apps.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I have removed my gmail and yahoo email that were setup in the exchange and now using the Individual apps instead. Result is no more battery drain and no heating

.... But I am no longer able to email my attachments straight from other apps using the share option.

You can set your email accounts up as non-Exchange (IMAP) in Mail and set them to Manual Fetch. That way they will only use the network connection when you have Mail open and Mail will be able to send from your email accounts.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I've just resorted to charging my iPhone and iPad more often until a bug fix is released.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I've just resorted to charging my iPhone and iPad more often until a bug fix is released.

I may fail to keep up with constant charging so I have deleted my mail and will reinstall when and if the bug is fixed. Please keep me informed whenever you have anything to share thanks.

imacadoo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
May I suggest that before you change accounts or the way they are set up or the way you use the phone that you do a restore of the phone (or have an Apple genius do it for you). I had severe battery drain and heating up issues immediately after updating to 6.1. The restore fixed it and no further problems. Apparently a certain number of users have gotten bit with this issue with each update. 6.1 was my turn I guess. But the restore fixed it all.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
May I suggest that before you change accounts or the way they are set up or the way you use the phone that you do a restore of the phone (or have an Apple genius do it for you). I had severe battery drain and heating up issues immediately after updating to 6.1. The restore fixed it and no further problems. Apparently a certain number of users have gotten bit with this issue with each update. 6.1 was my turn I guess. But the restore fixed it all.

Thanks will try that too when "push comes to shove"

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
For me the battery drain went away when I removed my work profile ( which removed all exchange connections ) from my iPhone 5 on 6.1 ... waiting for a fix

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I did a hard reset (hold both buttons until the apple logo appears) and my battery life has improved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.