Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I would gladly pay to subscribe to HBO if I could pay directly to HBO and by-pass cable companies. They are bad as the phone companies with some of the BEING the phone companies. I canceled cable several years ago after I realized I was paying a monthy fee to watch commercials. Seriously. FOX FX plays the same movies every other weekend (Day after Tomorrow, Fantastic Four) where you have 6 min of movie, 3 min of commercials. Drove me nuts.

Film media need to get on the same bandwagon that the music industry has transformed into these past few years.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
This is really insignificant. Since you still need to get a cable package to be able to then get HBO I'll just keep using my set top box -- which is easier.

If a stand alone pay HBO app was created then THAT would be awesome. I'd gladly pay $20 or $25 a month for that alone and be done with all the crap cable channels I never watch.

This way you don't necessarily need cable boxes in every room ($5-10/month per box).

For me, I don't have cable... I will use this with my in-laws cable account so I can access their service without at home without having to pay for it myself! :D

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
This is really insignificant. Since you still need to get a cable package to be able to then get HBO I'll just keep using my set top box -- which is easier.

If a stand alone pay HBO app was created then THAT would be awesome. I'd gladly pay $20 or $25 a month for that alone and be done with all the crap cable channels I never watch.

$25 a month for one channel? That would be crazy!

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Love my ATV....use it all the time....but why should I bother with streaming HBOGo with Airplay to it.....when my Xbox360 has a native HBOGo app?

More and more my 360 does everything my ATV does....except have the ability to stream/rent from the iTunes store....but M$ has the same content available through it's own store.

The ATV is much better at accessing/displaying my media library though. Connect360 will do it, but when you have thousands of files the presentation is sorely lacking, to the point of useless. The ATV does so in excellent fashion.

I guess what I'm saying....is the 360 has apps for HBOGo, Netflix, Hulu+, NHL, etc.... (many etc, BTW) so whats the holdup for ATV????

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This way you don't necessarily need cable boxes in every room ($5-10/month per box).

For me, I don't have cable... I will use this with my in-laws cable account so I can access their service without at home without having to pay for it myself! :D

Are you sure it would work that way though? I was under the impression that in order to play HBO from your iDevice that you'd need to stream it using the same wifi network that your cable company provides.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
That's a decent sized domino to fall as we wait for a la carte media distribution to become the norm.

But you need an HBO subscription for the app...and you need a cable subscription for HBO. Cable companies are still screwing everyone unfortunately.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
$25 a month for one channel? That would be crazy!

I pay $180 to Verizon for internet, cable and phone. I don't need the phone service but it comes with the package. If I could eliminate cable that's a huge chunk out of the bill and it would *still* be cheaper for me if I paid $25 each for HBO and Showtime plus the internet. Hulu and Netflix will cover the rest.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Are you sure it would work that way though? I was under the impression that in order to play HBO from your iDevice that you'd need to stream it using the same wifi network that your cable company provides.

No, you need the login account for the cable provider the HBO service is attached to. So if your relatives had Comcast, they could add HBO and give you their Comcast login information. Then you use that information to login to HBO Go.

Also if they limited it to the internet connection the cable company provides, you wouldn't be able to use it on your phone when traveling.

johnmcd

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012

The second part of your comment makes sense to me, it would be great to get JUST the HBO access. However, in your first sentence you say this "..is really insignificant" and that you'll "continue using your set top box." Do you realize how much MORE content is available on the app vs. the set top box?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Love my ATV....use it all the time....but why should I bother with streaming HBOGo with Airplay to it.....when my Xbox360 has a native HBOGo app?

More and more my 360 does everything my ATV does....except have the ability to stream/rent from the iTunes store....but M$ has the same content available through it's own store.

The ATV is much better at accessing/displaying my media library though. Connect360 will do it, but when you have thousands of files the presentation is sorely lacking, to the point of useless. The ATV does so in excellent fashion.

I guess what I'm saying....is the 360 has apps for HBOGo, Netflix, Hulu+, NHL, etc.... (many etc, BTW) so whats the holdup for ATV????

dont you have to be a membef of xbox gold?..

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Engadget is reporting both are supported.
I can confirm that MAX Go works as well. Also, does not require Mirror to work as some apps. Simple Airplay and works well.

Now if we can get "ALL" iOS Apps to work the same way we will not have to wait for them to be added as native ATV Apps (which I prefer).

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Always had horrid video quality when I've tried AirPlay from an iOS device to Apple TV, but will give this a go.

Airplay works fantastic for me. There is no reduction in video quality using Airplay because the way it works, there is no compression. You get the same video quality as the file itself. You must have turned on mirroring. If you use mirroring, the quality of the video is dependent on your network. When Airplay is supported by the app (like this one), mirroring isn't required.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Should I wait to buy an Apple TV? Is a new model expected soon?

Hard question to answer. I will say this though. Apple TV Airplay is GREAT, but if you are looking for channels to stream, or functionality within the channels that do exist then you should look elsewhere. I have found Roku to be the best, but almost everyone bests Apple TV....Except for Airplay.

Also I think V3 (current) does not have jailbrake just yet either. So will be stuck with stock firmware.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Huh? All they're doing is providing their customers access to a service they already pay for, and apparently expecting those customers to wait with bated breath. You can't access HBO Go without subscribing to a traditional cable TV service and paying for the traditional HBO premium channel tier.

I have my doubts that the ancient channels and cable companies will ever loosen their grip in a way that would let someone like Apple give us a modern experience, so at this point it's probably up to Netflix and others to make them obsolete.

Good point, I wish HBO would offer a web-based subscription service like Netflix. Or just offer their shows on Netflix, like AMC does.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Who cares about this ever coming to the Apple TV? You still have to be a cable subscriber. I'd be more than happy to pay HBO directly if the price was comparable to Netflix.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The second part of your comment makes sense to me, it would be great to get JUST the HBO access. However, in your first sentence you say this "..is really insignificant" and that you'll "continue using your set top box." Do you realize how much MORE content is available on the app vs. the set top box?

Actually no I didn't realize that. There is more on the app than the box? My bad, I'll have to check that out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.