Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Only had my new 2012 iMac for 3 days now and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's my first iMac so I can't compare it to previous iterations, but I am so incredibly impressed by the sound quality that this machine pumps out. I'm also impressed by how thin it is and how it STILL somehow manages to get that amazing sound out.

Oh, and that screen... Is GORGEOUS!

So what have you lot been most impressed with?

Last edited:

jaimejaime

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
For me it's just the sheer power packed into this thing. I've got a decked out 27", and it's as good as any tower I've used (I've been a tower guy up until this point), and is absolutely perfect thus far for what I need it for.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
For me it's just the sheer power packed into this thing. I've got a decked out 27", and it's as good as any tower I've used (I've been a tower guy up until this point), and is absolutely perfect thus far for what I need it for.

This ^ I wasn't even going to consider this iMac since I needed a powerful computer that could at the very least handle modern day games for me like Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3, and the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online.

I was going to build my own tower, but with my awesome credit and the financing plan. The iMac was a serious no brainer.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Talking about gaming, I tried out the BioShock demo to see how it'd run on my 21.5" model and it went very well with settings on high.

Can't wait for SimCity to come out now

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The screen. Love how reducing the depth between the panes of glass reduced glare and reflections.

Love the svelte exterior and the speakers don't sound too bad at all.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
First iMac. Love the screen, transition not too bad so far. Fast, quiet, flexible. TIme machine is foolproof. Parallels makes it easy to use some programs I can't use otherwise (like Garmin programs).

Things I don't like: the speakers (cannot believe some of you think this has good sound), the lack of an optical drive, the file system, and the poor implementation of Photo Stream (which worked better on my PC). But all told, worth the switch.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The screen is great. The machine looks stunning from all angles, it runs whisper quiet and it cool to touch. It's also fast, but it should be considering it's a new computer.

It's the most impressive Apple product I've had after my iPad 1st Gen (IMO). The macbook Clamshell and ipod touch 1st gen both come in a close third.

I'm expecting big things for the New Mac Pro due out... this year???

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The screen. I had the last model (2009 version) and I didn't expect such a dramatic improvement.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The screen. I had the last model (2009 version) and I didn't expect such a dramatic improvement.

Funny... Aside from the glare reduction, the 2012 seems to be a huge downgrade from my 2009 27" (viewing angles, bleed, quality control, image retention etc etc).

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Funny... Aside from the glare reduction, the 2012 seems to be a huge downgrade from my 2009 27" (viewing angles, bleed, quality control, image retention etc etc).

Well he probably doesn't have those production issues, the newer screens and technologies applied since 3 years ago have actually improved. It's ignorant to think it hasn't.

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
1) The Screen - its gorgeous. I find my self sitting super close to the monitor just because I love looking at it. My wife is making fun of me for that.

2) The audio - really really good for the size.

3) The other audio, or lack thereof. The machine is quiet and fast.

Miikejs22

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Liverpool
As others have said, the quietness of this machine. It is incredible, this is coming from a 5 year old stock build PC (wasn't upgradable without a rebuild).

For me is the fact the machine is so powerful yet so beautifully designed. Could have gone for a similar windows machine however cost is not much different and the design is worse.

A very happy newbie mac user!

emsworthboy

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Emsworth, England
The fusion drive

Had mine for about two weeks and am loving it. The best decision I made was getting the Fusion Drive. Almost purchased without it, but so glad I went for the upgrade. It's so fast that I am still amazed by its performance. :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well he probably doesn't have those production issues, the newer screens and technologies applied since 3 years ago have actually improved. It's ignorant to think it hasn't.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. While I agree the "idea" of it has improved, after having gone through four 2012 iMacs so far, all of them have absolutely CRAP viewing angles on black compared to my 2009 27" iMac. Whether it's due to the lamination process or other factors, the 2012 iMac isn't all roses.

And what's the one thing about the new iMac that's impressed me the most? Well, perhaps it's the lack of availability mid-February... or the lack of quality control, or the lack of good black viewing angles... Those things are very impressive! Didn't think it was possible for Apple to mess up this badly, but apparently they have. Huge Apple fan, here, but this launch was a bit of a joke, let's be honest.

In more seriousness, the GPU in this iMac (680) is a very impressive card, with great overclocking potential.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Only had my new 2012 iMac for 3 days now and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's my first iMac so I can't compare it to previous iterations, but I am so incredibly impressed by the sound quality that this machine pumps out. I'm also impressed by how thin it is and how it STILL somehow manages to get that amazing sound out.

Oh, and that screen... Is GORGEOUS!

So what have you lot been most impressed with?

You and I are in the same boat in the sense that it's our first iMac. My last Mac of any stripe was a 1997 PowerMac 250MHz processor with a 4GB hard drive. It went on and on for me until last year, when it finally gave up the ghost.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with mine (got it Christmas morning, a total surprise gift by my lovely and amazing wife!)

One of the things I miss on the old Mac was the ability to play 3D games. I think Deus Ex was the last title I was able to play with more than a single digit frame rate. LOL

On this new Mac, oh my God! Rage looks amazing (I'm in the final mission on it, so I'll keep my spoilers to myself). Left 4 Dead 2 is butter-smooth at maxed out settings, Star Wars: KOTOR is fun, smooth, but doesn't drive the cutting edge graphically. Portal and Portal 2 both look incredible. I'm running out of adjectives! I'll probably be getting my Deus Ex freak on soon with Human Revolution when Steam has one of those crazy 30 minute sales!

So, games are a big one, and you can't play a great game with great graphics without noticing that amazing widescreen 21.5" IPS display. The mouth waters, my friend. The mouth waters.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Talking about gaming, I tried out the BioShock demo to see how it'd run on my 21.5" model and it went very well with settings on high.

Can't wait for SimCity to come out now

Same here with Bioshock! Jaw-dropping, and smooth-as-silk courtesy of the new Kepler card. I just wanted it to keep going on! I'll definitely be buying both 1 and 2.

As far as demos go that show off the graphical chops of the new iMacs, try Dirt 2. I'm not really into racing games, but damn, it looks yummy!

----------

First iMac... Parallels makes it easy to use some programs I can't use otherwise (like Garmin programs).

Do you use Streets and Trips for work?

----------

1) The Screen - its gorgeous. I find my self sitting super close to the monitor just because I love looking at it. My wife is making fun of me for that.

2) The audio - really really good for the size.

3) The other audio, or lack thereof. The machine is quiet and fast.

The sound is loud, certainly, but hardly high-fidelity. Temporarily, I've plugged in a set of Bose Companions into her, but ultimately am looking into a set of AudioEngine A5's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Audioen...573633&skuId=3919037&st=AudioEngine&cp=1&lp=2 and the AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Asynchronous-Digital-Audio-Converter/dp/B00882U782

Listening to some ALAC and FLAC files on that setup will be heavenly.

----------

As others have said, the quietness of this machine. It is incredible, this is coming from a 5 year old stock build PC (wasn't upgradable without a rebuild).

For me is the fact the machine is so powerful yet so beautifully designed. Could have gone for a similar windows machine however cost is not much different and the design is worse.

A very happy newbie mac user!

Welcome to the tribe, sir! It's about damn time! :p

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
You and I are in the same boat in the sense that it's our first iMac. My last Mac of any stripe was a 1997 PowerMac 250MHz processor with a 4GB hard drive. It went on and on for me until last year, when it finally gave up the ghost.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with mine (got it Christmas morning, a total surprise gift by my lovely and amazing wife!)

One of the things I miss on the old Mac was the ability to play 3D games. I think Deus Ex was the last title I was able to play with more than a single digit frame rate. LOL

On this new Mac, oh my God! Rage looks amazing (I'm in the final mission on it, so I'll keep my spoilers to myself). Left 4 Dead 2 is butter-smooth at maxed out settings, Star Wars: KOTOR is fun, smooth, but doesn't drive the cutting edge graphically. Portal and Portal 2 both look incredible. I'm running out of adjectives! I'll probably be getting my Deus Ex freak on soon with Human Revolution when Steam has one of those crazy 30 minute sales!

So, games are a big one, and you can't play a great game with great graphics without noticing that amazing widescreen 21.5" IPS display. The mouth waters, my friend. The mouth waters.

I'm sorry you actually kept a computer with a 4gb hard drive for 16 years??? I assume it was just a toy and you had another?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.