Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Hello everyone :D I a big Apple fan, and have most of their products. I am contemplating whether to get the new iPod touch. I tried it out in the store and absolutely love it, but would it be useful since I already have an iPod shuffle and an iPhone that can both play music? I sorta need another opinion. Thanks for looking :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hello everyone :D I a big Apple fan, and have most of their products. I am contemplating whether to get the new iPod touch. I tried it out in the store and absolutely love it, but would it be useful since I already have an iPod shuffle and an iPhone that can both play music? I sorta need another opinion. Thanks for looking :)
You said it yourself, you have an iPhone which does the same thing. If you have the money eh why not.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You already have an iPhone. I think you would be wasting your money. The internal hardware, such as the RAM, speed, camera are the same as your 4S.

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
You already have an iPhone. I think you would be wasting your money. The internal hardware, such as the RAM, speed, camera are the same as your 4S.

Lol not exactly. Plus he didn't say 4s.
He may have a 3gs for all we know Lol.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
It is quite expensive ($300). Tons of other 7 inch tablets from other companies are cheaper. Also the ipad mini is only $30 more. Personally I got the ipad mini because it is only $30. However on the iPod touch you do have 16 more gb. It's basically what you what use it for. The ipad is great if your just sitting on the couch. In fact, I'm typing this message now with an ipad mini.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have the new Nano, a Shuffle, a Sony smartphone and a Nexus 7.

But I still wanted an iPod Touch 5th Gen. I bought the 32Gb but found it was too small so I bought the 64Gb one also.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

But I still wanted an iPod Touch 5th Gen. I bought the 32Gb but found it was too small so I bought the 64Gb one also.

That's ridiculous.

OP- I am one who believes in streamlining and it bugs me when I have overlapping devices. In my opinion, you don't need the iPod Touch at all. If anything, as mentioned, just get yourself an iPad mini if you would like an in-between device.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

WOW ! You spend a lot of $$ :D. I bought a mini,found it lying around collecting dust with me stuck to my Air,returned it yesterday. Need to edit my signature,too much work sigh :p

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
2013-01-13%252016.06.50.jpg

2012-11-13%252012.37.56.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.07.17.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.34.03.jpg

2012-11-04%252018.38.11.jpg

Yes, 2 Touches and a Nano... I don't have an iPad, though.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Why on earth would you get an iPod touch when you have an iphone? Granted if you don't have any more room for your music then just get a nano, you don't need another iOS device though.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
It is quite expensive ($300). Tons of other 7 inch tablets from other companies are cheaper. Also the ipad mini is only $30 more. Personally I got the ipad mini because it is only $30. However on the iPod touch you do have 16 more gb. It's basically what you what use it for. The ipad is great if your just sitting on the couch. In fact, I'm typing this message now with an ipad mini.

Good luck putting a 7 inch tablet in your pocket.

BGrifter

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I adore my iPod Touch, but it's tough to recommend one to someone with an iPhone. It's pretty much a phone-less iPhone. Amazing product for anyone unwilling to take on a cell contract.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
That's ridiculous.

OP- I am one who believes in streamlining and it bugs me when I have overlapping devices. In my opinion, you don't need the iPod Touch at all. If anything, as mentioned, just get yourself an iPad mini if you would like an in-between device.

I think it makes sense. Although, im surprised when anyone would own both shuffle and nano. They are almost equally in size and weight now plus shuffle seem overpriced to me.

4 devices that he has: shuffle, nano, sony, and nexus. None has the ability for a smooth game play experiences. Android will never run games as smooth as ios, at least for the time being. I would understand why he would want a Touch.

As for the op, i think you can invest 300 on a flat screen LED 32 inch sony TV. U have an Iphone, Ipad, shuffle. Touch is just way too much. I have an iphone and Ipad and just decided to sell my shuffle.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
It worries me that he may have this idea of owning an itouch planted in his head until he finally buys one, meaning nothing we say will change his mind lol

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I think it makes sense. Although, im surprised when anyone would own both shuffle and nano. They are almost equally in size and weight now plus shuffle seem overpriced to me.

4 devices that he has: shuffle, nano, sony, and nexus. None has the ability for a smooth game play experiences. Android will never run games as smooth as ios, at least for the time being. I would understand why he would want a Touch.

The Nano is useful as it has a decent built-in pedometer - none of the pedometer apps for the Touch are any good IME. It also has a pausable FM radio and a built-in voice recorder.

The Shuffle is my one player that I struggle to find a use for.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The Nano is useful as it has a decent built-in pedometer - none of the pedometer apps for the Touch are any good IME. It also has a pausable FM radio and a built-in voice recorder.

The Shuffle is my one player that I struggle to find a use for.

I've pretty much bought every version of the Nano, I love the crossfde feature only the Nano's have, I like the latest version but wish Apple would release a 32gb version.

artblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2012
Disapointed

Don't bother battery life not up to much always charging mine it is fine for music but other things like sky go or playing games forget it,does not do what it says on the tin.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I picked up an iPod Touch 5th Generation 32GB. Other devices I own:
MacBook Pro 13" Classic with 750GB Seagate Hybrid XT and 8GB ram.
iPad Retina 4th Generation 32GB Black WiFi
HTC Sensation 4G rooted with T-Mobile

Why did I get the iPod Touch when I could've gotten an iPad Mini or just used my Sensation or iPad? Simple:

vs. iPad Mini-

iPod Touch 5G has flash on the camera, iPad Mini does not.
iPod Touch 5G has retina display, iPad Mini does not.
iPod Touch 5G can fit in my front pocket or back pocket, the iPad Mini could not.

vs. HTC Sensation 4G-

iOS vs. Android. It's more of a preference but with OSX and my iPad, it's clear what I prefer.
5G has much better display/sound quality with music, better battery life.
5G doesn't freeze.

What I can see vs. the 4S-

The 5G has bigger screen, retina display, better camera

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I also bought in December the 7th Gen Nano to replace my iPod classic that would blue screen Windows 8 when trying to sync. The Nano is perfect and I only use it when going out since unless you have a iPhone I can't get online anywhere. What is the point when 99% of the WiFi networks are locked so a Nano I load it with EDM podcasts and it is also has a FM radio to listen to public and college stations.

Arianasieghart

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Chicago
Personally, I stopped using my ipod once I started using iphones. Towards the end of my iphone 4's life (it was so badly damaged), I began to use my iPod touch 4th gen again and took the music off my iphone since it wouldn't play music anymore. But once I got my iphone 5 i stopped using my touch again and my son's music is on it.

But obviously the choice is yours. If you think you'd use it and you have the money for it, then why not :)

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I picked up an iPod Touch 5th Generation 32GB. Other devices I own:
MacBook Pro 13" Classic with 750GB Seagate Hybrid XT and 8GB ram.
iPad Retina 4th Generation 32GB Black WiFi
HTC Sensation 4G rooted with T-Mobile

Why did I get the iPod Touch when I could've gotten an iPad Mini or just used my Sensation or iPad? Simple:

vs. iPad Mini-

iPod Touch 5G has flash on the camera, iPad Mini does not.
iPod Touch 5G has retina display, iPad Mini does not.
iPod Touch 5G can fit in my front pocket or back pocket, the iPad Mini could not.

vs. HTC Sensation 4G-

iOS vs. Android. It's more of a preference but with OSX and my iPad, it's clear what I prefer.
5G has much better display/sound quality with music, better battery life.
5G doesn't freeze.

What I can see vs. the 4S-

The 5G has bigger screen, retina display, better camera

That all sounds very sensible to me.

Some people are amazed that I paid out £330 for a 64Gb Touch. I could have got an OK laptop for that price, gone on holiday etc.

But I just love the product so much - even if I didn't have a Nexus 7 I still wouldn't have got the iPad Mini because I'm sure Apple will release a much better update to it fairly soon. I'm sure it's an excellent product, and I like iOs but it is really a me-too device from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.