Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wehokev

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
27" BTO, i7 3.4, 3tb Fusion, 675 graphics.

It looks like I have the seagate too:

Media Name: APPLE HDD ST3000DM001 Media
Size: 3 TB (2,999,733,223,424 bytes)

Cheers

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Im not 100% sure but i think the Hitachi drives would still be using their own technology. Just like VW owns other car company's but they don't use VW engines.

The base model Porsche Cayenne has a 3.2L VR6 engine from a VW Golf, the 3.6L V8 is the same as on the VW Passat, most Audis run (tuned up) VW engines, and so on, and so forth.

The reality is that a merge would have lead to a duopoly of WD and Seagate for 3.5" drives, which are now owned by Toshiba to prevent that, while WD took the 2.5" and SSD businesses.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Sigh, I had to exchange my iMac a couple of times for screen issues and didn't notice that the one I ended up with had a Western Digital drive. It's a 27" BTO with 1TB fusion. My first two iMacs had a Seagate drive. I honestly can't tell the difference in everyday use, but it irks me that Apple would put two wildly differently performing drives in the same spec computer. Are they relying on the fact that the flash drive is going to mitigate most performance concerns of the magnetic disk?

I tried using blackmagic disk speed test and am getting 300 write/375 read, which seems pretty good. But that's probably just on the flash drive. How do I just test the magnetic drive?

gaddster

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
Guys

I got my new 27" i7, 1 TB fusion, 24gb ram, 680mx on wednesday.

I have the WD hard drive and the blackmagic tests are showing in the region of 314mb write and 341mb read. (it has been up to 331 write and 421 read btw)

No problems so far so I cant complain really.. be nice to see a comparison

steinercat

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
About to order a high-end 27"

3Tb Fusion is still the only guarantee for the faster Seagate? Correct?

Really excited about this. Finally an all-Mac household. :)

Thanks for the confirmation!

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
About to order a high-end 27"

3Tb Fusion is still the only guarantee for the faster Seagate? Correct?

Really excited about this. Finally an all-Mac household. :)

Thanks for the confirmation!

Might be...I have the 3TB Fusion and it also has the Seagate ST3000DM001.

Last edited:

jpmorais

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2013
CT, USA
slow WD? Fast Seagate?

Where did you get the info from?

BTW the WD Blue was found on a non-Fusion model.

WD read/write 130
Seagate read/write 200

----------

Guys

I got my new 27" i7, 1 TB fusion, 24gb ram, 680mx on wednesday.

I have the WD hard drive and the blackmagic tests are showing in the region of 314mb write and 341mb read. (it has been up to 331 write and 421 read btw)

No problems so far so I cant complain really.. be nice to see a comparison

thats the ssd speed not hd

yugioh5d

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2015
How is everyone Seagate 3TB HDD?

So how does the Seagate drive now after few years of use? I heard that they have high fail rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.