Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's normal. It's the viewing angles of the IPS display. If you sit right in front of that particular corner, the bronze will disappear.

You can see on one of my 2012 iMacs (replaced for the ridiculous bleed at the bottom) how the top left and right have that bronze look. They fade when sitting head on with that particular corner.

Oh okay, well I don't own this machine. Good thing you do so you were able to help the OP. Right on!!:)

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
I just swapped my maxed out 27" i7 for a new one because of 1 dead pixel right in the center of the screen. It was so minute, but I'm a photo retoucher and I kept thinking it was a spec of dust on the image I was working on and it started to drive me nuts after 3 days....and I started thinking that for almost $3,000 it should be 100% perfect. I'm an Apple Business customer and luckily for me my rep was able to pull a new one aside for me and just had me come into the store to swap it.

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I just took mine in again, I just couldn't be happy with the yellowing, they told me depending on what apple says they can replace it with a new one or try another repair, at this point I just want a working computer including the display. The good thing is they are taking the yellowing problem seriously and not trying to tell me it's normal.

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Back with another update, I got a call today basically they told me that they replaced the display with a new one, BUT while testing the new display they found the same yellowing on the bottom and it had image retention, the test was done with the utilities the mac has if you enter the key combinations while booting. So they told me they were going to tell Apple to test the display at the factory before sending them another one, apparently they have done this before and it will take 1 day for them to test it over at the factory and then the normal shipping time to get here and another day to install it.

So now i'm just waiting for them to fix it and get a flawless iMac hopefully this time it will happen. I've been waiting since december 3, 2012 that I ordered the iMac and only used it for 2 days before returning it the first time and 1 day before returning it the second time, its February 21 and still waiting to get the iMac in perfect condition.

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
So now i'm just waiting for them to fix it and get a flawless iMac hopefully this time it will happen. I've been waiting since december 3, 2012 that I ordered the iMac and only used it for 2 days before returning it the first time and 1 day before returning it the second time, its February 21 and still waiting to get the iMac in perfect condition.

I'm very curious if you get a "perfect" screen regarding yellow tint. I'm on my 2nd iMac officially (I rejected a 3rd one at the store that had the issue) and this one has it less so than my 1st iMac or the other one at the store, to the point where I'm okay with it. If you have a dark room and have the brightness halfway and really look for it on a gray screen (actually MacRumors forums are great way to detect), you can see the difference, but it's not huge. And with the lights on in the room or more brightness, it's nearly impossible to see.

crows

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
So I think this is my last update after waiting nearly a month they finally called me up to pick up my iMac, im posting from it right now and although the screen is not 100% uniform it is acceptable and the "tint" this time is not yellow but more of a soft greenish color barely noticeable. So I finally have my iMac with a good screen.

The guys at the store were really good and did a good job imho, the whole story is they had to order 3 replacement screens before calling me to pick the computer up they told me the first one had the yellow tint and horrible image retention, the second display had also the yellow tint and some dead pixels and retention and finally the 3rd display is the one I have now and its pretty uniform and passed the image retention tests and has no dead pixels so im pretty happy with it. I suspect that with a calibration this display will get even better, so I can finally enjoy my iMac with a good display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.