Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I know there are probably tons of these topics around, but I'm about to buy the high end 27" imac model and was wondering what everyone would recommend. I plan on using it for basic use, no heavy photoshop or editing, however I will be duel booting windows with boot camp and gaming on that. Would the i7 be worth the extra money for gaming? I will also be screen recording and video editing on the windows partition.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
If you can afford the i7 with the 680MX video then get it. This way you won't second guess yourself later on down the line and wonder if you made a mistake.

I went for all the options except the SSD and did the memory upgrade myself, couldn't justify Apple's cost. The 3TB Fusion works fine. My first iMac purchase and loving it.

Good luck in whatever you decide ~ Joe.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah I was thinking the i7 would probably more "future proof" but a friend of mine said that the i7 will show virtually 0 difference with what i'm doing "gaming".. So i'd rather not spend the extra $200 if its not going to be that much more helpful.

MEGrubb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah I was thinking the i7 would probably more "future proof" but a friend of mine said that the i7 will show virtually 0 difference with what i'm doing "gaming".. So i'd rather not spend the extra $200 if its not going to be that much more helpful.

You won't see any difference in performance for probably all video games on the market. Maybe down the road it would help a bit, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

One note: If you're planning on using Bootcamp, then make sure you don't get the 3TB fusion drive because that currently won't let you partition your drive for Windows.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

If you have to ask this question then you probably don't need the i7. If you are interested in lots of gaming you should definitely get the 680MX upgrade as it's by far the most potent GPU that Apple has ever put in their non Pro desktop.

On the other hand if you're "serious" into gaming you might be better served building a beater PC gaming rig with a desktop graphics card.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
You won't see any difference in performance for probably all video games on the market. Maybe down the road it would help a bit, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

One note: If you're planning on using Bootcamp, then make sure you don't get the 3TB fusion drive because that currently won't let you partition your drive for Windows.

Thanks, I was planning on getting a 1 tb fusion drive anyways so I shouldn't have a problem.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
If you have to ask this question then you probably don't need the i7. If you are interested in lots of gaming you should definitely get the 680MX upgrade as it's by far the most potent GPU that Apple has ever put in their non Pro desktop.

On the other hand if you're "serious" into gaming you might be better served building a beater PC gaming rig with a desktop graphics card.

I plan on upgrading to the 680 MX for graphics card, I was just wondering if getting the i7 would more or less "future proof" my computer so in 4-5 years from now the specs may still be somewhat competitive. Or does the i5 do a good enough job?

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
In 4-5 years, the difference between an i5 and i7 will not be a concern. What IS a concern is the out-dated 680MX.

I never recommend the i7 unless you have wasted cash to spend and do lots of photoshop, FCP, aperture, etc but not gaming.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
In 4-5 years, the difference between an i5 and i7 will not be a concern. What IS a concern is the out-dated 680MX.

I never recommend the i7 unless you have wasted cash to spend and do lots of photoshop, FCP, aperture, etc but not gaming.

Video cards are outdated in about six months do not sure what you are recommending. The 680MX is the fastest available right now for an all-in-one.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Video cards are outdated in about six months do not sure what you are recommending. The 680MX is the fastest available right now for an all-in-one.

You have poor reading comprehension. He wants his system future-proof for 4-5 years. An i7 will make no difference years from now compared to the 680MX. CPU isnt the main concern in gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.